Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    So once we have the MR update, we should basically have the same software as the 755? Am I missing something?
    Well, we are speculating that since the 755p has the same hardware as the 700p that the MR will look alot like the 755p ROM.
    The rep at palm I spoke to said it would not be the 755p rom but it would have parts of it that fix the issues.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    As easy as it would be i wouldn't expect palm to include any of the new software (IM, contacts, googlemaps, etc).
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Well, I moved (well, tried to move) all the BT files into my 700p. I couldn't get all of them loaded. After exiting FileZ I turned on my BT headset and made a call. The quality was worse than my 650, and when the call ended my 700 reset and went into a reset loop. So, it seems direct copying of the BT files to the 700p will not work, unless I just did something wrong. I wonder what I could do to get those last 6 files copied?
    How is it possible to extract just the files from rom ? I can only extract "images" using the bootloader.
    There was a 700p floating around that uses the same method from china. How was the extraction done?

Can someone send me their rom image (with bootloaders, IPL/SPL/TPL, etc) with the ram2sd via PM/megaupload?

Here is mines 700p and a 700wx one
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K1BWIQN6
    OK got the new contacts and google to function. I made a folder on my SD card and put the following files from the posted rom into it.
    Googlemaps.prc
    Contactslib-p1ct.prc
    contactslib-p1ct_enus.prc
    contacts-Padd.prc
    contacts-padd_enus.prc

Then moved all 5 files over to the internal memory with Filez
    YIPEE, me too it worked. it almost feels like I got a ROM update. Not really.
    OK got the new contacts and google to function. I made a folder on my SD card and put the following files from the posted rom into it.
    Googlemaps.prc
    Contactslib-p1ct.prc
    contactslib-p1ct_enus.prc
    contacts-Padd.prc
    contacts-padd_enus.prc

Then moved all 5 files over to the internal memory with Filez
    Thanks for the tip. Would anyone mind posting these files?
    Is the Calendar app updated?
    Did this fix the lag???^^^^ I think not...
    nah, but it's cool.
    Has anyone tried BT or VersaMail yet? Does anyone know all of the files that are involved?

For Bluetooth, it seems like there are a lot of apps starting with "Bt". Any others?

For Versamail, there are the ones starting with "MM". Any others besides the actual "Versamail" files?
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker View Post
    Has anyone tried BT or VersaMail yet? Does anyone know all of the files that are involved?

For Bluetooth, it seems like there are a lot of apps starting with "Bt". Any others?

For Versamail, there are the ones starting with "MM". Any others besides the actual "Versamail" files?
    Check post #24 in this thread for my try at BT.
    This really is a pointless threat. Doing any type of an OS upgrade requires managed installation, not just file replacement. This is about like me zipping up my C:\windows dir on my Vista box and giving it to someone in the hopes they can upgrade their windows XP box to vista just by moving files around. Not gonna happen. What will happen is that you will break your current windows install, which is exactly what is going to happen if you try to install the 755p files on your 700p.

Just wait for another week or two.

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    This really is a pointless threat. Doing any type of an OS upgrade requires managed installation, not just file replacement. This is about like me zipping up my C:\windows dir on my Vista box and giving it to someone in the hopes they can upgrade their windows XP box to vista just by moving files around. Not gonna happen. What will happen is that you will break your current windows install, which is exactly what is going to happen if you try to install the 755p files on your 700p.

Greg
    This is correct, as all files will revert to factory after a hard reset, so you can never truly have an updated ROM, but it's still fun to see what works and what doesn't. The Contacts/Google Maps integration is very nice, btw. I hope it makes it into the MR.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Greg
    I don't totally disagree, but lets take another example, can I zip up a linux kernel I compile on my machine, move it to another machine and have a reasonable expectation that it will work? Actually yes (and I've done it many times).

Things to consider. How many people have a Treo 650 that supports FAT32? How many people have 650/700p's that support SDHC?

Yes, fundamental issues with the 700p that need the guts pulled out can't be fixed from anything here, but there can be fairly standalone driver/application changes that don't impact the core functionality that can be played with and "backported".
    I read the versamail files are the same, but I can tell you that the app is way better than it was on the 700p. Not sure if the device just takes better advantage of the app or visa versa. No more delay after hitting send- that has plagued the app since my 600. Also, I have 3 accounts and one of them would always resend email after I "delete from server" now it doesn't The other two accounts always worked. ???
    Quote Originally Posted by thetoad View Post
    I don't totally disagree, but lets take another example, can I zip up a linux kernel I compile on my machine, move it to another machine and have a reasonable expectation that it will work? Actually yes (and I've done it many times).
    We are really talking apples and oranges here. Yes, the kernel kernal might work in some fashion, but you you most certainly don't have a workable OS. The linux kernel, in and of itself isn't even close to an OS. By itself, it really doesn't do anything.

I think people are finding that some of the apps in that 755P ROM file do work on the 700P, but I highly doubt anyone will replace their 700P ROM with the 755P ROM. That was the point of my example earlier, but as another poster point out, people are having fun playing with it. Maybe some hacks will come out of it, who knows.

Greg
    We are really talking apples and oranges here. Yes, the kernel kernal might work in some fashion, but you you most certainly don't have a workable OS. The linux kernel, in and of itself isn't even close to an OS. By itself, it really doesn't do anything.

I think people are finding that some of the apps in that 755P ROM file do work on the 700P, but I highly doubt anyone will replace their 700P ROM with the 755P ROM. That was the point of my example earlier, but as another poster point out, people are having fun playing with it. Maybe some hacks will come out of it, who knows.

Greg
    Well, one obvious reason we wouldn't replace the 700p ROM with the 755p ROM is that they use different memory card standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    I read the versamail files are the same, but I can tell you that the app is way better than it was on the 700p. Not sure if the device just takes better advantage of the app or visa versa. No more delay after hitting send- that has plagued the app since my 600. Also, I have 3 accounts and one of them would always resend email after I "delete from server" now it doesn't The other two accounts always worked. ???
    Are you speaking from experience with the 755p, or with the 755p's Versamail on a 700p?
    Anyone try replacing the phone app?
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    Are you speaking from experience with the 755p, or with the 755p's Versamail on a 700p?
    Yes I haven't bothered with alternate mail options. I had the 700p for about a yr and versamail is definately better on the 755p. Its also WAY faster downlaoding your mail. On the 700 if the count was over 60 or so I would just cancel it. (I don't have EVDO) but I downloaded 150 yesterday very quickly.

Edit: just read what you're asking. I don't have the 755 app on the 700. But I believe that the MR will include it, and it is a better "version"
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast