Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm thinking about buying a Treo 680 and I'm unsure if I should go ahead and get it now or wait until the Apple IPhone comes out in June (on the assumption that the price of the Treo 680 may fall after the IPhone enters the market).

Many thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.

regards,
    Abe Z.
    I doubt that Palm will lower prices because of the iphone. The iphone is so much more expensive, that I doubt that Palm views it as competing for the same customers. Additionally, Palm has not matched the lower prices of competitor's products in the past
    Wrong forum for this crap.
    Climber_rich: many thanks for the advice. Very helpful.

Khaytsus: Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place. Which forum would be more appropriate.

AZ
    I'm definitely interested in the iPhone, but I want to wait a year to make sure all the little bugs are worked out and to see if the price goes down.

In the meantime, I bought an unlocked 680 from Palm to use until then. While at $400 it wasn't cheap, but using it I can get the cheaper data plan ($19.95), and I didn't extend my contract either.

When next year comes around, I can then decide if the iPhone is worth it (and sell the 680), or just keep the 680 until I find something I really want.
    DurtyD, with whom are you getting the $20 data plan? I talked with a guy at the Cingular store yesterday who told me that I could bring in an unlocked treo 680 but I'd need to pay $40 for their data plan.
    ^amz1 - I bought the unlocked 680, just put in my SIM card, and still use the unlimited $19.99 plan I had with my RAZR.

I'm not a heavy user, so chances are I won't trigger anything crazy that a CSR may notice. Of course, supposedly Cingular knows exactly what device I am using, so I could lose the cheaper plan at any time they want me to.

The data plans that Cingular has, and what phones they are supposed to be used for is really a mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Wrong forum for this crap.
    Chill out!

It is 680 related, even if it does **** you off. His question is innocent and on topic. Your response is very mean spirited.
    Yes iPhone in a month and the next big is in the works
    I'm thinking there's gona be a lot of 680s for sale soon
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Its unfortunate for Palm because a lot of Mac users use Palm's, its a major percentage, more then PC users.

Also, I really dont think many Treo users are going to get an iPhone. Several reasons:

GSM only, no one on V or Sprint can get one unless they switch to Cingular
    WIFI and EDGE!! no HSDPA or even EvDO, an advantage of the 750, 700 series!
    You can't run your own or 3rd party apps on it, as of now. Seriously, how many forum posts have I seen of "must have apps for your treo!" and they are ALL 3rd party!

I just dont see it happening. My Treo 680 has way too much functionality to DOWNGRADE to an iPhone! I do see the price of the Cingular branded Treo dropping, not the unlocked. Also, I could see Palm take a shift over to T-Mobile again, that way they can get the GSM users who cant buy an iPhone for cheap wise. It would be perfect!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by amz1 View Post
    Climber_rich: many thanks for the advice. Very helpful.

Khaytsus: Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place. Which forum would be more appropriate.

AZ
    Um, the iPhone forum!?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/fo...play.php?f=149

So I'm somewhat on topic, only folks who value form over function will get the iPhone. Anyway, I won't be visiting this topic again..
    iPhone you when your drivin in your car , Ya iPhone ya when your playing your guitar . But I would not feel so all alone .......Every body must iPh........
    http://www.phonedifferent.com/
    Last edited by byronchurch; 05/16/2007 at 10:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    One of the other interesting questions about the iPhone will be battery durability. As I understand it, the battery is inaccessible, so you can't swap in the middle of the day if you run low as you can with a Palm...and goodness knows the 680 couldn't survive in my world if its battery were hardwired.
    Might as well either get the 680 now or wait until the next Treo. The iPhone has been delayed until October.
    Follow Me On

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    That information ("delayed until October") appears to contradict...or at minimum UPDATE...details in this article from May 12 on an iPhone-centric website:
    http://www.everythingiphone.com/news...h-20070512144/
    =======
    After submitting the above post, I just found this item that explains the suggestion of a delay until October for the iPhone. According to Apple, it was caused by a "fake memo" that got out:
    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9719952-7.html
    Last edited by rsnadel; 05/16/2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Added new information
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    ... Anyway, I won't be visiting this topic again..
    Pssssst....think he really won't be back? Does that mean we can talk about this all we want? Or should we feel guilty? Should we send somebody back out there (somewhere) to look for him, apologize, and invite him back?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Pssssst....think he really won't be back? Does that mean we can talk about this all we want? Or should we feel guilty? Should we send somebody back out there (somewhere) to look for him, apologize, and invite him back?
    tee hee snicker snicker...the best bit is that he will probably be popping back regularly to see how his stated exclusion of this thread has devastated morale and caused folks to rethink their priorities, but he wont be able to comment, even if we say stuff like "would you rather have two blackjacks, or one iphone"
    Uh oh. Off to the Blackjack thread with you. I really didn't understand the objection. It is about the Iphone to a certain extent, but no less is it about the 680, so I don't understand why there is a default position that if it mentions the Iphone, it belongs there, even if it is equally, or more so, about the 680. Anyway, to get to the point (the Iphone), I can't imagine that a touch screen will give me the kind of typing power that a keyboard does. Steve Jobs thinks it does, but he just narrowly escaped being indicted, so I'm not sure I should trust his opinion on things. Note that this is really about the 680, because it's about the keyboard, and the IPhone doesn't have that.
    My wife has an i-mate jam with onscreen keyboard. A friend has an i-mate jamin with handwriting recognition. We had a race typing 'the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog'. My wife won.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Uh oh. Off to the Blackjack thread with you. I really didn't understand the objection. It is about the Iphone to a certain extent, but no less is it about the 680, so I don't understand why there is a default position that if it mentions the Iphone, it belongs there, even if it is equally, or more so, about the 680. Anyway, to get to the point (the Iphone), I can't imagine that a touch screen will give me the kind of typing power that a keyboard does. Steve Jobs thinks it does, but he just narrowly escaped being indicted, so I'm not sure I should trust his opinion on things. Note that this is really about the 680, because it's about the keyboard, and the IPhone doesn't have that.
    Palm has been pretty good about designing their products with very good and intuitive usability, but imho Palm appears to have hit a plateau with only modest gains in usability/design since the 600. Stock options shenanigans or not, Apple continues to push the envelope making great disruptive products. Even though I have no desire for an iphone, I'm betting that it's going to make a huge impact in the mobile phone marketplace. I've recently switched from windows to macs and I'm still having a hard time not rebooting my computer once or twice a day. Until you've switched to a mac, you can't imagine how much of a pain and how unstable windows is.

P.S. I would've posted this in the apple forum, but treocentral doesn't have one!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast