Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree with you about the IPhone. It has nothing to do with a Treo user's needs, but it will certainly fill other people's needs--many of them superficial, of course, but what difference does that make when the bottom line is selling phones, right?

On the other hand, since everybody seems to think the Mac is better, who am I to argue, and I know windows stinks but I use two windows xp machines almost 24 hours a day, and I cannot remember a reboot in almost two years. Not one. I know that previous versions gave me someting close to what you describe, but I have not had a crash like Windows used to cause in a long long time. I do get some app freezes, and error reports on those apps, but no reboots.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I agree with you about the IPhone. It has nothing to do with a Treo user's needs, but it will certainly fill other people's needs--many of them superficial, of course, but what difference does that make when the bottom line is selling phones, right?

On the other hand, since everybody seems to think the Mac is better, who am I to argue, and I know windows stinks but I use two windows xp machines almost 24 hours a day, and I cannot remember a reboot in almost two years. Not one. I know that previous versions gave me someting close to what you describe, but I have not had a crash like Windows used to cause in a long long time. I do get some app freezes, and error reports on those apps, but no reboots.
    You must be leading a charmed life! I had two windows xp machines crash and burn in a two week span. Thats when I switched. I now oversee 4 macs. I have no spyware, antivirus or firewall programs installed and I have had ZERO problems with any of that. Additionally, my macs came with no garbageware installed. I was up and running in 5 minutes. Installing programs is insanely simple (compared to windows) and uninstalling them is even easier. Ironically, my first mac was defective and I didn't realize it for a week because it acted like my windows machine (rebooting all the time). When I called Apple I immediately talked to live person in the U.S. -- a few minutes later, they were mailing me a new machine.
    I have no spyware, no virus protection, and no firewall. I do use firefox with popup protection. Maybe you don't need all that crap, even with Windows. At least I don't seem to need it. I do backup everything almost constantly, but the only time I've needed it is when my hard disk crashed, not software.

Wait. That's not all completely true. I try to logon to McAfee's free virus scan about once every month or two. But that's it.
    You definitely are leading a charmed life! Even though you haven't been bitten by a virus yet, its' a virtual certainty that you will get one if you don't install an antivirus program. Grissoft offers a free anti-virus program. Do yourself a favor and get one.
    Windoze has come a long way - I think that XP is the best OS that Microsoft has ever released. Acceptable hardware requirements, good speed, and most important stable. Still, I prefer my Linux servers to my Windows servers - cheaper, faster, and they run forever without a peep. To the original question though - "will Palm lower it's price?" No, but they will lose an unbelievable portion of their market share. To which they will release another incremental Treo that offers little other then slightly poorer battery life.

Dunc
    Your crystal ball is obviously working very well
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtyD View Post
    ^amz1 - I bought the unlocked 680, just put in my SIM card, and still use the unlimited $19.99 plan I had with my RAZR.

I'm not a heavy user, so chances are I won't trigger anything crazy that a CSR may notice. Of course, supposedly Cingular knows exactly what device I am using, so I could lose the cheaper plan at any time they want me to.

The data plans that Cingular has, and what phones they are supposed to be used for is really a mess.
    I have had a Treo on the $20 for three years... They know I have a Treo on the plan and everytime they try and change it, I have them change it back.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12