Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AvantGo has got to be one of my favorite. I especially like the option in the newest version to copy pages instantly into memos. I have my Hotmail in there, along with news, weather, a daily devotional, VisorCentral Mobile, and a webzine.

BibleReader is a great program. Not al of the Bibles offered are free, byt several are, along with the reader.

Some people don't like using hacks. I think they're nuts. Here a few I love:
    McPhling is one of the best things to ever happen to the Visor.
    Crash
    NoStreak is great to have when using Album To Go (which is another great freeware, but I suggest you get ahold of version 1.0.4 if you have a b/w pda)
    FlipHack is great for beaming sometimes, due to the Visors side loaded IR port.
    CaseToggle

JunglePort was useful when I took a trip to Vegas recently.

I have a program called FretBoard I really like, but I'm not sure if it's available online anymore.

CricketKing and Oh-One are both great for anyone that plays darts.

Keyring is a great app for keeping all your passwords/combinations secure.

HotDate lets you look at your address book/to do list plus more all at the same time.

Cribbage is a good little game; I just wish it would work two player via IR too. Oh well.

PicChat can be quite handy.

Many people don't realize that WordSmith has several features that are usable, and people are encouraged to use, even after the trial period runs out. (I registered mine anyway).

Also, RichReader has a freeware version that is the same as the registered version minus a couple of minor features. It comes with a free tool that converts any .rtf docs, html and PDFs so they may be read on the Visor.

One last note. I hope you've discovered the advanced features in your calc. Go into the calculator tap the menu button, go to options/change mode, and set it to advanced. There are all sorts of conversion and other tools that eliminate the need for some of the apps I've seen available.
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
    icthus...

GREAT post!
    Originally posted by icthus
    ...One last note. I hope you've discovered the advanced features in your calc. Go into the calculator tap the menu button, go to options/change mode, and set it to advanced. There are all sorts of conversion and other tools that eliminate the need for some of the apps I've seen available.
    Good post. Just thought I'd point out that with the platinum, prism, and edge the advanced calc is displayed by default.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by lennonhead
    CSpot Run will also replace lines.

I have a few questions...

Isn't Hackmaster free? I also thought FireConverter was only free for 30 days. Isn't this supposed to be a freeware thread? If you couldn't tell, I'm a bit confused...

Probably s'not nice of me to complain, but with an avator like that ... would you mind just being befuddled .
    There are a lot of very good applications that have been recommended and I like so many of them but I think the most valuable ones to me so far have been "filez" and "pilot Install"
    I also like
    AvantGo
    Atool
    BDcity
    diddlebug
    jungleport
    thinkdb
    QExpLite
    If any of you experienced users would like to suggest replacements that you think have better properties for any of the above please feel free to do so.
    Vicki

]
    I'll admit to not knowing anything about CaseToggle (so it may be similar and/or better), but in addition to the many fine apps listed above, I'd have to add MiddleCaps hack, which has been a most useful tool for speeding up graffiti input.

Jeff
  7. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jsbernstein
    I'll admit to not knowing anything about CaseToggle (so it may be similar and/or better), but in addition to the many fine apps listed above, I'd have to add MiddleCaps hack, which has been a most useful tool for speeding up graffiti input.

I also like MiddleCapsHack, and I recommend using ShiftHack together with it (ShiftHack simply disables the auto-shifting that the PalmOS does whenever you start a new line or a new text entry field)
    Originally posted by Rob
    I also like MiddleCapsHack, and I recommend using ShiftHack together with it (ShiftHack simply disables the auto-shifting that the PalmOS does whenever you start a new line or a new text entry field)
    Version 2.6 of MiddleCapsHack includes this functionality. Just uncheck "Auto-shift"
  9. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by robert sibell
    these are the freeware apps i use
    [snip]
    bomb-bomb buildings
    [snip]
    I was surprised how much fun that game is! Its full name is actually 'Bomb Canada' (sorry, Hoser).
    Another great new freeware game that I'm now addicted to is called 'AckWire' (Palm version of an old boardgame called 'Acquire)
  10. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I had been thinking about freeware games, and totally forgot the absolute best freeware app I've ever encountered: DrawIt! If you have a Prism and like drawing/sketching, you just have to try this out!

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...m?prodID=13497
    My God, Rob, you beat me to it -- I was just about to post the same thing! DrawIt kills. It's as slick and full-featured as any $25 app out there. Never mind freeware: it's great software, at any price.
  12. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    My God, Rob, you beat me to it -- I was just about to post the same thing! DrawIt kills. It's as slick and full-featured as any $25 app out there. Never mind freeware: it's great software, at any price.
    I agree -- in fact, I e-mailed the developer to see if I could pay him because I felt guilty not paying for such a great application! He said that a future version with better support for grayscale and a real conduit will be shareware (for < $10!) but in the meantime, he's still adding features to the freeware version! He even sent me a new version that included a small change I had requested within one day of my request!!!
  13.    #33  
    thank you all for the information on what freeware apps you use. i know this has helped me so it must have also helped others too! i dont know if anyone will ever reply to this thread anymore because its off the main page now

thanks everyone that replied to this thread,
    Bob
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    AvantGo
    BigClock
    HandyShopper 2
    TimeCompanion (great for freelancers for marking down hours spent on a job)
    Handwrite
    MW Calculator (chemistry tool: calculates molecular weight)
    PeriodicTable (says it's shareware, but you really don't have to pay)
    TipMe
    DopeWars
    Galax (cool game)
    www.studio1809.com
    P.S. I feel at home with geeks like you.
    Stop! Stop!
    I can't have anymore fun. Memory is full!!! "Scottie, I need more power!"

Where is my memplug? I need it bad.

I can't wait to use the ir pong.
    I like runtime myself for battery usage monitor (26days on Vdx is record)
    Where can I find Pocket Rogue?

You didn't mention my favorite 'geeksounds' for fun alarms. I currently have the theme from Indiana Jones on mine. You know, da ta da ta don don da.

And NOBODY mentioned 'PalmaSutra', the king of free apps.
    I had to beam that app to a memplug developer while stranded at the Konsaki airport in Japan.
    "I cannot live without books." Thomas Jefferson
    Originally posted by gbgood
    ...Where can I find Pocket Rogue?...
    Here
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    PeriodicTable (says it's shareware, but you really don't have to pay)
    But you should.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    For hardcore chess players there is a free Palm 'text' version of Chess Tiger:

http://www.rebel.nl/chesstiger/index.html
    <><
    Originally posted by Rob
    I had been thinking about freeware games, and totally forgot the absolute best freeware app I've ever encountered: DrawIt! If you have a Prism and like drawing/sketching, you just have to try this out!

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...m?prodID=13497
    Does this application run on a non-color Visor?
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    Not to mention that the author update the software every other day (or at least it seems that way to me).
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast