Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Fellow fearless 755p guinea pigs...err, I mean users! I found this FAQ from PalmOne's website. Am I reading this right? Does the 755p support a 4GB SDHC card? I would really like this answered definitively before I start my shopping spree!

See below:

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...tKB,CASE=34080

Maximum expansion card sizes and types compatible with Palm handhelds
    Solution ID :
    LifeDrive: see Knowledge Library article 39823 instead of this article.

Because Secure Digital (SD) and MultiMediaCard (MMC) technology continues to evolve, newer expansion cards may offer different features, such as larger capacity and faster transfer speed, than were available for us to test when we developed our handhelds. Although we couldn't test future expansion cards with older handhelds during development, we expect many newer expansion cards to work with older devices.

The maximum size of expansion card that can be used in your device depends on the model.

Treo 755p 4GB We have tested 4GB miniSD cards and SDHC (secure digital high capacity) cards and can say that they will work in this device.

Treo 680, 700p, 650, 600
    Tungsten T5
    Zire 72
    LifeDrive*
    and newer devices 2GB We have tested 2GB SDIO, MultiMediaCard and SD expansion cards with these devices and can say that they will work in these devices.
    Note: While Palm has tested a wide variety of common expansion cards, we have not tested all brands and cannot guarantee support for all possible cards.

4GB cards or higher? We have not tested these cards and cannot state compatibility at this time.

SDHC cards? No. Palm devices are not compatible with SDHC cards that comply with version 2.00 of the SD specification.

Tungsten E2, T3, T2, T
    Zire 71, 31, 21
    and previous devices 1GB These devices support SDIO cards, MultiMediaCard and SD expansion cards up to 1GB. Because of the file system used by these models, and those that came before them, larger cards may cause unexpected behavior or not work in these devices.
    SDHC cards? No. Palm devices are not compatible with SDHC cards that comply with version 2.00 of the SD specification.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Can anyone confirm this? I just ordered a 4 gig card.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    We'll find out soon enough. Somehow I don't doubt that the 755p can support a 4gb card-- the question seems to be more of whether any of the very few 4gb cards out there will actually work with the 755p.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I have two on order, so I'll let you know.
    cnet's review also said it supports 4 gb. I don't know if that's from their testing, or if it's the info from Palm.

Joe
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Yeah I've got a 4gig Transcend card on the way too-- we'll see how that goes when it gets here.
  7.    #7  
    I will know in a couple days too.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Just put the SDIO prc on it. Problem solved.
    Can someone post it(prc)? My 4gb is in the mail....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Will this one work with the 755p?

Transcend 4GB mini SDHC Flash Card Model TS4GSDMHC
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208089
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkEye View Post
    Will this one work with the 755p?

Transcend 4GB mini SDHC Flash Card Model TS4GSDMHC
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208089
    Seems like that card is not that great, but the price seems fair. What about regular 4GB mini SDs? Is SDHC supposed to be way faster than the regular ones on the Treo?

Al
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Seems like that card is not that great, but the price seems fair. What about regular 4GB mini SDs? Is SDHC supposed to be way faster than the regular ones on the Treo?

Al
    What are you basing that on?

As for "regular" 4GB miniSD cards, from looking around, the Transcend SDHC is one of the very few (if not only one) readily available.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbett View Post
    What are you basing that on?

As for "regular" 4GB miniSD cards, from looking around, the Transcend SDHC is one of the very few (if not only one) readily available.

I'm reading the reviews from newegg

Cons: It worked only intermittently with my HTC3600. After two weeks, it just stopped working. It does not appear on any device I tried it on. Attempting to format on PC or Mac results in Error. Basically, it quit.
    Al
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I'm reading the reviews from newegg

Al

Thanks.
    Anybody using a regular 4GB mini SD card on the 755p? How is the speed?

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 05/16/2007 at 08:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    Can someone post it(prc)? My 4gb is in the mail....
    To get the SDIO-sdsd.prc free...

http://software.treonauts.com/product.asp?id=10523
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I'm getting the 4GB SDHC card. Do I need this file? What does it do?
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Well my Transcend 4Gb cards came last night.

And they work fine in the 755p. I can transfer to and from the card and the Card Info utility shows the correct size, etc.

The only problem is using the card with a computer. Because it's an SDHC card, most/all older card readers won't work. I tried the Sandisk 6-in-1 PC card (PCMCIA) adapter in my laptop, and two USB card readers on my desktop computer. The card didn't show up on the PC card or one of the USB readers. It was just like there was no card inserted. On a newer Sony USB reader, the card showed up, but appeared as blank. The computer asked if I wanted to reformat it.

So I looked around for SDHC compatible readers and there are a number available.

I ordered this one from eBay (doesn't appear to be available through normal channels):

http://cgi.ebay.com/6in1-PCMCIA-PC-C...QQcmdZViewItem

The manufacturer's site with information on the adapter is here:

http://www.mydidigo.com/products/mul...tail.asp?C3=54

I also am looking at getting a USB reader for my desktop. This one looks nice:

http://www.lexar.com/readers/multi.html

This portable USB adapter also looks nice:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDDR-1...bosnation0e-20
    this is deja-vu all over again from the 4GB SD conversations of a year ago. Has anyone released any miniSDs equivalent to the 4GB SD "standard" (nonstandard) that work in any Treo with the fat32 drivers? If I get stuck with a 755 I'd like the ability to move the card around to all types of devices. Only need for SDHC (to me) is >4GB, which I can live without for a while.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbett View Post
    Well my Transcend 4Gb cards came last night.

And they work fine in the 755p. I can transfer to and from the card and the Card Info utility shows the correct size, etc.
    Do you have any speed tests with the card? How fast is it supposed to be? I found my Transcend SD 4GB 150x card to be pretty good in my 700p with reading large databases but enormous (like several minutes) when writing to the card and deleting larger databases. This was a real pain. I'd be interested in any speed comparisons if you have an SD card to compare it to in your computer when the card reader arrives. Thanks for posting this info, very helpful to know.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast