Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering if the Tethered mode hack works on the 755p?

I am concerned that it will stop working on the 700p after the ROM update.

TIA
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Don't know the answer but am curious myself. I just picked up the 755p and am afraid to try it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrogers View Post
    Don't know the answer but am curious myself. I just picked up the 755p and am afraid to try it.
    Give it a try. Your not going to break anything

Does the CD still come with the desktop PAM software?

Attached is the file you need on the Treo.

If you have FileZ you could just look and see if the same file resides in ROM. If it does then chances are very good that the hack will work just fine.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post

If you have FileZ you could just look and see if the same file resides in ROM. If it does then chances are very good that the hack will work just fine.
    Ok.. I'll give it a shot.. better now than after I install everything.

Got a bunch of work to do this afternoon but will try it tonight.

There's a PhoneInterfaceLibrary_enUS

What do you think?
    Mobile Stream is already calling for 755p beta testers for USB Modem, which is a cheap (compared to PAM) and easy way to do DUN legitimately:

http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker View Post
    Mobile Stream is already calling for 755p beta testers for USB Modem, which is a cheap (compared to PAM) and easy way to do DUN legitimately:

http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html
    Define legitimate?

If you are not paying sprint for PAM access then it is not legitimate no matter how much software you purchase. USB Modem is just selling you a hack for your Treo and some software for your desktop. Sprint is still providing bandwidth that you are not paying them for.

The hack is free if you use the one that Shadowmite made and is no less legitimate than the software solutions.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  8.    #8  
    There's a PhoneInterfaceLibrary_enUS

What do you think?

Thats very good news! I am 99.9% sure it will work.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Define legitimate?

If you are not paying sprint for PAM access then it is not legitimate no matter how much software you purchase. USB Modem is just selling you a hack for your Treo and some software for your desktop. Sprint is still providing bandwidth that you are not paying them for.

The hack is free if you use the one that Shadowmite made and is no less legitimate than the software solutions.
    If you pay Sprint for unlimited data access, shouldn't you be allowed unlimited data access? As is they should qualify the terms in their vision plans to "unlimited data access only if you are using your phone to access it'.

Edit: I see now that you were not criticizing those who use the hack for DUN. Sorry if it comes across as bashing you....but my point, in principle, still stands.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    If you pay Sprint for unlimited data access, shouldn't you be allowed unlimited data access? As is they should qualify the terms in their vision plans to "unlimited data access only if you are using your phone to access it'.

Edit: I see now that you were not criticizing those who use the hack for DUN. Sorry if it comes across as bashing you....but my point, in principle, still stands.
    I agree. I am also paying for unlimited data. Therefore I use the hack with a clear conscience.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Finally gonna have me a bluetooth laptop to carry around, so I look forward to hearing the results on the tether tests
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post

Why dont you read your contract.. You get unlimited data on your phone and phone only.. It states using PAM without a PAM is a violation of the agreement. Legally you have no argument since it states that in the contract, if it didnt then you would be in luck and sprint would change it very quickly.

I installed it and it works fine. Connected to it from my Nokia N800.
  14.    #14  
    I installed it and it works fine. Connected to it from my Nokia N800.
    That is very good news!

Now when the 700p ROM update comes out I can apply it without worrying!
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Works fine for me with my Samsung Q1 UMPC.
    Jimmie Geddes
    can someone explain why you would use this hack vs pdanet'? or why you would buy pdanet if this works for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    can someone explain why you would use this hack vs pdanet'? or why you would buy pdanet if this works for free.
    Good question. I think PDANet is good for USB tethering and has that 3G speed boost (though I have no idea what that does).

I actually couldn't get the included "Sprint PCS Connection Manager" software working in Windows. It would show my device as being connected but when I'd click "Go" nothing would happen and then eventually it would time out and give me an error.

Maybe I'm missing something, but there's no instructions.
    PDAnet has a self-installer to set everything up for you, while you'll have to do some manual setup with the hack (and apparently many people have problems getting it to work right aka following directions). You pay for convenience.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  19.    #19  
    Its basically the same thing. One is free and one is not.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by whateverandever View Post
    I actually couldn't get the included "Sprint PCS Connection Manager" software working in Windows. It would show my device as being connected but when I'd click "Go" nothing would happen and then eventually it would time out and give me an error.

Maybe I'm missing something, but there's no instructions.
    The sprint software kind of sucs but if you reboot it will work. There are a couple of background programs that sometimes hang up in the sprint programs when you exit. You kill them using Ctrl+alt+Delete you can get it to connect without the reboot. I can't remember what the file names are but one of them has tether in the name and the other one I think has SCM in the name.

Sometimes the problem is on the Treo end. I have found that I sometimes have the problem that you described and if I force an EVDO connection and then hit "go" it will connect. It will work, just have to tinker with it a bit. Hell, thats another reason not to pay Sprint for PAM, buggy software.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast