Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, looks like my Treo 755P ownership will be short-lived. I am a current 700P owner who just "upgraded" today. Similar to the 700P, the first few hours seemed great and lag free. Now after loading many apps, the lag has returned. Not quite as bad as the 700P (esp when going in/out of blazer---that seems to be much improved, although the actual internet speed seems no faster and perhaps a touch slower), but definitely there. Several medical apps are SLOW--Epocrates, UpToDate and especially InfoPOEMS--this app like on the 700P took nearly 5 min to load a topic off of a sandisk 2gb mini-SD card!! One of my co-workers with a 680 loaded the same topic in less than 30 secs. Not sure if I have something from my 700P profile haunting this new device or what. I am VERY disappointed. I will work on an app by app reload in the coming days and get rid of anything not essential to see if things improve. If not its going back and will pick up a 750 on Cingular--what I had planned to do anyways, but wanted to try the Palm OS one final time--especially after reading the positive reviews. Got burned again! Makes me think we will be disappointed by the 700P's upcoming MR. Would love to hear how any other 700P to 755P owners are doing once they have loaded up their devices--I have 13 MB left int, 450MB on 2GB SD.
    D
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Thats terrible, did you also get skipping when playing mp3 and switching apps.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    It sounds like you are having a delay reading from the SD card, which can be caused by a fragmented SD card. Try to reformat your SD card and copy over your apps and DBs.

Al
    Did you Restore from your 700p backup? I would restore only the Saved Preferences (and I'm not even sure that's safe) so I wouldn't have to register all my apps all over again. I would then install all my favorite apps.

And from another user (can't remember who...). Instructions on how to speed up your SD card:

Specific instructions:

Make your SD card visible to your PC. If you have a compatible card reader, great. I don't, so I used the program CardReader for palm (trial download available from mytreo.net).

Let's say your card now shows up on your PC as drive "f:" (it may be a different letter). Enter the following command from a MS-DOS window:
    format f: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K
    Note this will wipe out all data on your SD card, so back it up first if desired.

After formatting with 32K blocks using the above command, I noticed a significant improvement in both write speed and delete speed (aka deleting files with Filez, for instance). The write improvement was enough to prevent the HotSync problems I was having before the format, and seemed about on par with my older 1GB card.

Cordially,

RicardoG
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Sounds like you just restored your 755p from your 700p profile. That's bad news. You should have done a clean install.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    who knows what he did - other people don't have the lag, brother
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    New 755P owner here... no lag whatsoever after 3 days of use. I do not recommend syncing your 700P data to this new phone. Start with a fresh install and run your apps one by one. By "loading many apps" as you mentioned, you're asking for trouble anyway...
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Yea, don't restore from a 700p backup, you're taking those files with you on the 755p. I've installed all the apps I use on my 700p and there is no lag. I've had the 755p since last Monday, if it was going to happen it would have already.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Yea, don't restore from a 700p backup, you're taking those files with you on the 755p. I've installed all the apps I use on my 700p and there is no lag. I've had the 755p since last Monday, if it was going to happen it would have already.
    So you don't have any skipping while playing ptunes in the background and switching inbetween apps (especially blazer)>
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    It might as well be on a sticker attached to the devices: you buy a new model, you *NEVER* restore an image from another model. Palm is tweaking too many things on every hardware release and something's bound to go wrong.

I'm interested in hearing from 755 users if the lag is truly gone and the bluetooth stays paired. I see no reason to do this lateral update (and a LOT of reasons not to), but if they fixed these 2 problems then the 700p firmware update may have a chance of finally redeeming that model.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    So you don't have any skipping while playing ptunes in the background and switching inbetween apps (especially blazer)>
    No skipping when switching between apps inculding playing PTunes in the background while switching between Blazer and other apps. The only time I have heard a minor pause is when opening Blazer if I'm not connected to Power Vision and it has to connect. If I'm already connected there is no pause at all. Switching to other apps while using Blazer does not cause a skip at all. This is very different from my 700p.
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 05/13/2007 at 04:57 PM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Sounds like you just restored your 755p from your 700p profile. That's bad news. You should have done a clean install.
    Do you have to create a new name for the 755p? I currently use a 680 with at&twingular.
    Yeah, create a new name so your 680 files don't transfer to the 755p.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Actually, you don't want to create a new name or some of the 3rd party programs you have registered will not work.

Find the folder under c:/Program Files/Palm/ that is named the same as your hotsync profile. Then change it's name to old_xxxxxxxx. Then install the latest Hotsync etc from the CD and when it asks you for a profile, create a new one with the name you were previously using.

That way you have a back up of the old profile while creating a new one with the same name.
    Are you going to be using the 680 still? If so I recommend you creating a new user name. If you're not going to use the 680 anymore follow Homie's instructions. I thought you were going to use both Treos.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Don't you mean to rename the Backup folder that is within the one resembling your Hotsync name? I've not heard of renaming the Hotsync name folder and whether that will mung your PIMs.
    You should rename the Backup folder to "old backup" if you're going to use the same user name.
    Jimmie Geddes
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for all the good advice! I actually deliberately used my 700P profie thinking that if it was REALLY fixed it wouldn't matter (ie--no probs using same profile from 300-600-650 for me, but did do several app by app loads on my 700P to no avail) and I wanted to load it quick as I was going to be away most of today. So am back and will now do a hard reset, reformat the SD card, rename the backup folder, create a new user name and then hotsync. Plan to just try InfoPOEMS as if that still lags, then the 755 is going back. That program MUST work as it should and does on the 600-650-680 and 750. Will keep ya posted!
    thanks,
    d
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyDoc View Post
    Thanks for all the good advice! I actually deliberately used my 700P profie thinking that if it was REALLY fixed it wouldn't matter (ie--no probs using same profile from 300-600-650 for me, but did do several app by app loads on my 700P to no avail) and I wanted to load it quick as I was going to be away most of today. So am back and will now do a hard reset, reformat the SD card, rename the backup folder, create a new user name and then hotsync. Plan to just try InfoPOEMS as if that still lags, then the 755 is going back. That program MUST work as it should and does on the 600-650-680 and 750. Will keep ya posted!
    thanks,
    d
    Good luck!
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Once again, if you create a new user name you will have trouble with the registration of many 3rd party apps. Search for the "clean install" directions. Perry usually posts a link every day or two, but haven't seen him here on the 755p board much.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast