Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Reading this board too often gets dangerous! After reading several posts, I found myself buying a Sprint 755p at the local Sprint store today. Just happened that this store in San Francisco had 18 in stock which arrived today.

The 755p is much snappier than the 700p! Going back and forth between apps is much quicker. Don't get that 1/2 second delay anymore as with the 700p.

Also, when clicking on the Web app, this too seems much quicker. It immediately goes to whatever website is my default, which happens to be Google mobile. Even better, when clicking out of the internet, and to say the Phone app, this too happens much quicker without the usual delay of the 700p. I don't think the actual internet speed is any faster, but clicking into the Web and clicking out of the Web positively seems snappier. A welcome thing!

I'm not able to verify if the 755p has the same pause/skip problem of the 700p when playing music. I currently don't have a mini-SD card to even test this. However, the built in PTunes app had a couple demo tunes, and I played with this for about 30 seconds, and this seems okay at first glance. Won't know for sure until later.

I can't believe there's no antenna. What am I gonna do without an antenna?!?

Also, my new $100 Vaja case on my 700p doesn't fit quite right. It's now too loose for the 755p. Also the back speakerphone vent is now in the wrong place. Worse, the bottom part of the keyboard of the new 755p has been lowered, so that the Vaja case now sticks up too high at the bottom end of the keyboard. Always something! Does Vaja make a case to fit the 755p corectly?

I just tried Directory Assistant, and the latest version 3.30 which works perfectly for the 700p now has problems with the 755p. For example, when clicking on a phone number to dial in business lookup, there is an error message that says the device is not supported (rough paraphrase). Rick, where are you?

Other minor problem I had was that the 755p kept trying to do a Phone Updater process, and when I clicked okay, it would quit halfway through with an error message. At the last attempt, I clicked on "never" and this problem seems to have disappeared for now.

I now need to test whether the phone voice quality, as heard from other callers talking to me is any better. My friends always told me my voice quality sounded like cr@p on my Sprint Treo 700p, plus with an echo problem too (the caller would hear their own voice in an echo). Hopefully the 755p will be better, but won't know until later.

I do like the keyboard better on the 755p. The clicking action seems more sure. Plus the rubberized back side of the 755p is cool too, which helps to avoid slipping out of your hands.

I'm pissed that this thing now takes a mini-SD card. What am I gonna do with all my 4GB SD cards now?!?

Lastly, I'm truly hoping that the 755p won't have all those crazy sporadic soft resets, especially when clicking onto the Web, or web hyperlinks. Sometimes, simply turning on the 700p and entering a password entry would immediately cause a soft reset. This soft reset problem happened too many times with my 700p, which was getting annoying. I've only played with the 755p for a few hours now, and haven't experienced this yet, but it's way too early to tell.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    congrats
    Nice, thanks for the info & congrats! Time to go get mine
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Look at Casey. Someone with 970 posts not ranting at Palm. Gets the new 755p. Likes it. A calm, reasoned comparison to the 700p follows by someone who has experience rather than just opinions (like me).

I don't know what to think. I'm so confused.

Septimus needs to give Casey a yellow card for reasonable behavior.
    Cool I may pick one up myself. I'm assuming you bought this outright? Which sprint store in sf? Also which color did they have? Hopefully a red because that's the one I want!
    diane
    Once Casey reaches 1500 posts then take a look at him. He'll be ranting at palm like nobody's business.

By then, he'll have experience as well as opinions - like me. LOL.
  8.    #8  
    You guy are funny! Let's see, to answer some of your questions:

I got the dark blue color. I didn't inquire if there were any red ones. Bought from the Market Street store. I've been using Palm devices for the past 10+ years and this is now my 3rd Treo, so I'm sticking with Palm devices. I only use Windows for desktops and laptops!

By the way, I also like the small font size when in the Web. The font resembles having the FontSmoother app built into the 755p.

The built in Google maps seems enhanced too. I can now see details such as the blue ocean, which previously was a light blue color before.

The mute/vibration button has been improved too. It's now a 'low profile' switch with a more sure feeling when switching back and forth.
    Casey
    Congrats on your new 755P! I'm a happy owner of a midnight blue one.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    which one on market? is it by virgin megastore? hmm it seems as if the sprint stores have just been getting the blue ones. darn. aww I don't want to go thru telesales just for the red one. hopefully stores will get them in soon.
    diane
    Quote Originally Posted by Carterism View Post
    which one on market? is it by virgin megastore? hmm it seems as if the sprint stores have just been getting the blue ones. darn. aww I don't want to go thru telesales just for the red one. hopefully stores will get them in soon.
    From what I can tell, and from all the stores I called there only getting the blue ones in, and then the burgundy one are to follow after. I wana get one, but I'm holding off for the burgundy one.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  12.    #12  
    The Market St store near Pine downtown.
    Casey
    Casey:

1. Are any of the built-in apps (Phone, PIM, etc) updated compared to the 700p?

2. Does the "MyTreo" app include Reuters News syncing (a "hidden" feature which I really enjoy on my 700p)?

3. When you say the 755p is "quicker", are you talking Treo 600 quick (the most responsive Treo), 650, or just faster than the 700p (which isn't saying much)?

4. Can you show us a screenshot of the "smaller" Web font? Any other apps with smaller fonts?

5. Can you think of a good reason for a 700p owner to upgrade (assuming the ROM update fixes the lag issue)?

Thanks for updating us.
    The sprint store by me had more burgundy than blue, but they refuse to sell them until monday, I was going to do a 30 day trial in hopes the lag is fixed and I would like one to compare to the 700p with MR when that comes out.
    andrew,

are you located in the bay area?
    diane
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker View Post
    Casey:

1. Are any of the built-in apps (Phone, PIM, etc) updated compared to the
    700p?

Answer: The Phone app looks exactly the same to me...absolutely zero difference that I can tell. Best part is having having no lag when in Phone app, and clicking onto my various shortcut favorites (at bottom of Phone screen). This is the same no-lag I was used to with my Treo 650. What do you mean by "PIM"? As in Calendar function? If so, it's the same bogus no-frills calendar app again, unfortunately. I use DateBook 6, so this doesn't matter to me.

2. Does the "MyTreo" app include Reuters News syncing (a "hidden" feature which I really enjoy on my 700p)?

Answer: I just now entered my email address to activate MyTreo. I really don't understand the point of this program. I don't see Reuters News in this app, but I do see under the Bonus tab: Solitaire, Files, MobiTV, Traffic.

3. When you say the 755p is "quicker", are you talking Treo 600 quick (the most responsive Treo), 650, or just faster than the 700p (which isn't saying much)?

Answer: I never had the Treo 600, so I can't compare. I'm saying the 755p is as quick as the 650 for speed when clicking back and forth between apps. The 650 did not have the lag, but the 700 does.

4. Can you show us a screenshot of the "smaller" Web font? Any other apps with smaller fonts?

Answer: I need to figure out how to do this.

5. Can you think of a good reason for a 700p owner to upgrade (assuming the ROM update fixes the lag issue)?

Answer: Personally, there's very little difference in terms of specs or upgrade from the 700p to the 755p. Just my opinion. If Palm ever comes out with a patch to fix the 700p issues, this may be good enough for some users. I can see how some people would consider it a waste of time to get the 755p.

Thanks for updating us.
    You're welcome. -Casey
    Casey
    andrew,

are you located in the bay area?
    No Arizona.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I am going to wait until Monday and buy it on the SERO plan.
    I will switch my wife from Tmo and an unlocked 650 to a 755p as soon as it shows up on SERO.

Interesting experiment going with her -- I put her SIM into my unlocked 750. I am going to see how a civilian responds to WM5.

She likes the form factor of the 750 and the color but she likes the Palm OS. That sounds like a 755p to me.
    i just picked up a 755p in nyc queens, on queens blvd. the sprint store at the same mall as the bestbuy and target.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast