Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I'm chatting with a Palm rep right now who has told me the update will come out on the 20th. I'll post the conversation in a little bit.
    chat id : 2cd2024d-6618-4004-a187-435f374b0480
    Problem : No Rom update yet.
    Steve_Chamblin > Any idea when the Maintenance Release will be coming out?
    Victor > Hello Steve_Chamblin, Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Victor. How may I help you?
    Steve_Chamblin > I was wondering if you had any information on the Maintenance release for the Treo 700p?
    Victor > Hello.
    Steve_Chamblin > Hi.
    Victor > The update will be release very soon.
    Steve_Chamblin > Are we talking days or weeks?
    Steve_Chamblin > Or hours?
    Steve_Chamblin >
    Victor > It will be release on 20th of this month.
    Steve_Chamblin > Seriously?
    Victor > http://blog.palm.com/palm/2007/04/anatomy_of_a_so.html
    Steve_Chamblin > Awesome! Thanks for the info!
    Victor > You are welcome.
    Victor > Is there anything else I can help you with?
    Steve_Chamblin > Have you had any personal time with the 700p after the MR?
    Victor > Our engineers have worked on the Maintenance release and is working fine and still in the Process.
    Steve_Chamblin > What kind of mobile device do you have personally?
    Victor > I use treo 650.
    Steve_Chamblin > Okay. Well, again thank you for the info! And have a great day!
    Victor > You are welcome.
    Victor > Thank you for contacting Palm Technical support. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.
    Have a nice day!
    Bye.
    Victor > Analyst has closed chat and left the room

http://www.splashblog.com/musicman247/610760.jpg
    nah, the analyst just told you that to get rid of you.
    Unlikely IMHO, May 20th is a Sunday!
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Oh well, just thought I'd post what I found.
    I went into a VZW store in Rockville, Maryland, last night to replace my almost year old 700P, which had developed a problem with the headphone jack. Since I've been traveling a lot and it was still under warranty, I was looking for an instant swap. This store previously carried refurbished models or would give you a new one under warrany if they didn't have a refurbished one. That policy has now changed for the 700P and they tried to get me to go through phone support to get a refurbished one sent to me. According to the Sales Manager, they no longer swap 700Ps for new ones and no longer carry "replacement" (read: refurbished) 700P's in the store because (and this is a quote) "the 700P is being phased out." They are still selling new ones, however. While this is not new news, this is the first time I've heard it from the front line sales representatives.

Hopefully, this will have no impact on the ROM Update, but it does reflect that VZW, at least, is losing interest in the 700P. (BTW, after about an hour of discusion with the SM and phone support, they did agree to a "one time exception" and gave me a new one. It has the same lag issues as the old one.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    Oh well, just thought I'd post what I found.
    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the info very much Musicman...thanks.

You bear no blame on this, Palm does for continuing to disseminate erroneous information.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Have you ever used a 650? It makes the 700p look like a joke in terms of speed. I just got my hands on a demo 755p today in the sprint store and side by side with my 700p it was instant at changing menus vs my 700p that you hit the button you get a white screen for a second then the application appears then another second later its usable.. Even the sprint sales guy said "I didnt know the 700p was that bad"
    I can't compare as I've never used a 650. I do have 5 fairly new Tungstens in my shop that we use for field data collection. My treo is on par, performace wise with them. At least, I don't notice a big difference.

I have no doubt the 755 runs better than the 700. The good news is that the difference is almost 100% software related as the guts of the 755 are nearly identical to the 700. Unless Palm is totally blowing smoke, us 700P users should soon be sporting the same speed as the 755.

Just a side note on a later post in this threat: I think it's mostly pointless to ask Palm when the MR is coming out. They probably have very little say as to when it is actually released. In fact, the posts over at the Palm Blog seem to indicate that Palm as already turned the MR over to the carriers.

Keep an eye on that page I posted earlier if you are with verizon. That is where it will show up, when it's released.

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    gt, does the bb have a media player? what about selectable ringtones based on contacts? Will it also show contact pics from your contact list? The reason I ask is because I rely on these features to discern incoming calls from different clients. I do need a media player for all the traveling I do. I just got an email from vzw rep stating a a pre release of the 8830 for business members of vzw and am seriously tempted, but I would like more opinions.

As far as the MR, I am patiently waiting till the 28th to see if it is a go.
    Yes the BB has a great media player, you can select ringtones based on contacts and assign contacts pictures all out of the box with not 3rd party apps.

Regarding how much Palm SW I own, I own a bunch but that does not justify staying with palm for me, as every single piece of SW I own has its problems and issues (Agendus, ProfileCare, VolumeCare, TreoLauncher, SkinUI, 2Day, 4Cast, I mean I can go on and on).

And for those who are choosing to turn this into a personal attack game, I simply say it is not. read my previous posts, I am saying that I loved palm and I have been with them for 10 years. It is time to move on, and I am sharing my thoughts with people here because I care (evident by my over 1000 posts). I want people to make informed decisions, so I am sharing my experience with the 8800 (a little over a week now). So please stay objective and share your thouhgts in this thread since we started talking about this issue, in the what should I replace my 700p with, or start a new thread.
    Treoing & Loving it
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l View Post
    So Palm made it easy for me, with very expensive devices and poor support I am jumping ship too. This was nice while it lasted but what the BB has to offer is just way too much, and it will take palm several iterations to match what the BB offers now.
    I understand this is getting a bit off topic, but it's a good conversation. I definately had a hard time deciding what smartphone to get once I convinced myself I needed to spend $400 on a cell phone. Actually, it was my wife who convinced me, but she was right -- I needed it.

In any event, I just couldn't then and can't now seem to find much attraction for the berry. In fact, when I was over at the Verizon store yesterday waiting my turn, I picked up the newest berry and played around with it. It feels and acts more like a highend cell phone than a PDA.

I'm not a Palm loyalist by any means. My 700P is my first "intimate" experience with a PDA. We do have several PPC, Windows CE, DOS, and Tungsten data collectors at my office that I've been using off and on for 10 years, so I'm not a PDA novice or anything either. They all work fine and have their place.

The Treo was definately built to be a mini PC (PDA) first and a phone second. The Berry, OTOH, seems to be have been designed from the ground up to be a phone that is good at emailing and txt messaging, with PDA as sort of an after thought. I like the fact that my Treo acts more like a PC than a phone. THAT is what PDAs are supposed to do. No way would I have shelled out $400 for JUST a cell phone when I get one that will fit in my shirt pocket for under $100.

Further, the Palm GUI is so nice. I like the fact that I can pick up my Treo, hit the little phone button (or any of the other hot keys) and boom, I'm in that app. The Berry (at least the ones Verizon currently has) just doesn't have this.

Push email is sweet, but it isn't only available on the berry. One of the first things I did was buy Chattermail when I bought my Treo. When I'm sitting at my desk with my Treo in it's cradle, I hear the email chime on my Treo almost simultaneously with the email chime on my PC. I can see why the Blackberry users like push email so much. It is very nice.

There is no question that Palm is losing ground and the competition is really making headway fast. Palm was the Kings of the PDA hill for -- well forever and I think this went to their heads. This tends to happen to people, and companies, when they know they are the best at something.

I hope that with the release of the Iphone, RIM making big steps quickly, and Windows Mobile 6 about to hit street, Palm has gotten rid of that big chip they had on their shoulders and did some real soul searching. I hope that this new Palm-Linux Treo will usher in a revitalized Palm. I would hate to see the Palm interface just fade away and have Palm making Treos running WM. It would be like AMD closing up shop and letting Intel rule the PC CPU market.

Greg
    ^^ Second....
    Good points gzartman. I think the one you saw at the VZ store is 8700 line, try the 8800 at Cingular or the CDMA/GSM (yes CDMA and GSM phone) 8830 at VZ this week or Sprint in Jul and let us know what you think.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    I can't compare as I've never used a 650. I do have 5 fairly new Tungstens in my shop that we use for field data collection. My treo is on par, performace wise with them. At least, I don't notice a big difference.

I have no doubt the 755 runs better than the 700. The good news is that the difference is almost 100% software related as the guts of the 755 are nearly identical to the 700. Unless Palm is totally blowing smoke, us 700P users should soon be sporting the same speed as the 755.

Just a side note on a later post in this threat: I think it's mostly pointless to ask Palm when the MR is coming out. They probably have very little say as to when it is actually released. In fact, the posts over at the Palm Blog seem to indicate that Palm as already turned the MR over to the carriers.

Keep an eye on that page I posted earlier if you are with verizon. That is where it will show up, when it's released.

Greg
    I have the Palm TX as my current handheld, it shares the same memory and processor that are found in the 700p, yet the TX has 0 lag and run circles around the 700p in terms of launching applications..
    GT5l

Need a change in signature.

Not "Treoing & Loving it" anymore.
    I am mostly over the 700p and the treo line in general, but will reserve final judgement for when the update is released.

The only thing that requires me sticking to either PalmOS or PPC is the ability to add additional software (mainly, epocrates, which I use multiple times a day). Smartphones will not even work due to the abscence of a touch screen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the BB's don't allow for 3rd party software programs such as this, right?
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    The Treos introduced to mobile internet and I am gratefull for that. See I am npt there yet (RE: Changing my signature) I am still reading TC aren't I? The funny thing is that I am reading and posting in the forum using the BB8800.
    Treoing & Loving it
    GalenMD, there is a ton of BB 3rd party apps. As for epocrates the asnwer but I've been using Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia
    Treoing & Loving it
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l View Post
    Yes the BB has a great media player, you can select ringtones based on contacts and assign contacts pictures all out of the box with not 3rd party apps.

Regarding how much Palm SW I own, I own a bunch but that does not justify staying with palm for me, as every single piece of SW I own has its problems and issues (Agendus, ProfileCare, VolumeCare, TreoLauncher, SkinUI, 2Day, 4Cast, I mean I can go on and on).
    Nice, I am in the same boat, there comes a time when you fish or cut bait. I am ready to fish.....

I think I will give my business rep a call when I get back from vacation.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    The Treo was definately built to be a mini PC (PDA) first and a phone second. The Berry, OTOH, seems to be have been designed from the ground up to be a phone that is good at emailing and txt messaging, with PDA as sort of an after thought. I like the fact that my Treo acts more like a PC than a phone. THAT is what PDAs are supposed to do. No way would I have shelled out $400 for JUST a cell phone when I get one that will fit in my shirt pocket for under $100.
    I'm not really sure what it is you're trying to say here. Is it because the Blackberry isn't constantly stalling, resetting and locking up, that you don't believe it behaves like a "mini-pc"? Weird. On my old BB, it had contacts, calendar, tasks, notes and a today screen, which were all tightly integrated. What else does the Berry need to be considered a PDA in your eyes?

Further, the Palm GUI is so nice. I like the fact that I can pick up my Treo, hit the little phone button (or any of the other hot keys) and boom, I'm in that app. The Berry (at least the ones Verizon currently has) just doesn't have this.
    Hmmm, push green phone button to get into the phone app, push "l" to get to the calendar, push "a" to get to the address book, "n" to get to BB Messenger, "Y" for Yahoo Messenger, "G" for Google Talk, "c" to compose a message, etc., etc., etc.,..... yep, no shortcuts on the Berry.

Push email is sweet, but it isn't only available on the berry. One of the first things I did was buy Chattermail when I bought my Treo. When I'm sitting at my desk with my Treo in it's cradle, I hear the email chime on my Treo almost simultaneously with the email chime on my PC. I can see why the Blackberry users like push email so much. It is very nice.
    Chatter's nice, it's what I use on my 700p. However, when you pay $400+ for a "mini-pc", don't you think it should do push email and wireless PIM sync out of the box? I sure so.

Sorry if I seem disgruntled, but, I absolutely despise it when people spread mis-information. I was a very happy Blackberry user until my employer was bought up and we were all switched to POS Treo's. Now, I have to take my laptop with me on the road everywhere I go, the Treo's just too unreliable to depend on, in my experiences.
    "I totally disagree with you saying the screen resolution is "far superior". That's just plain crap... I am very picky and particular about screen resolution and it was a MINIMAL difference... BB 8800: 320 x 240 pixels... Treo 700p: 320 x 320 pixels"

Or, to put it another way, 76,800 viewable pixels on the BB screen vs. 102,400 on the Treo. This means that in a single "screen shot", you can see 33% more of a web page on the Treo. If you spend a lot of time using the device on the internet, this makes a big difference. If you don't, it won't.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast