Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Uncache - from PalmPowerups (dmitry)

I've only had it installed a few hours but can tell you that my Treo 700p is performing like it never has before. It appears to have solved a problem I've had since day one with the Treo and Agendus: that being after Blazer flushes DBcache, if I launched Agendus split-view, it would crash every time. I've tried to repeat that several times now and it does not do it.

In general the Treo is very "peppy" now with no lags or slugishness. Every button press or stylus tap gets a quick, snappy response. Boot time (reset) takes about half as long as before Uncache!

Items I've put in "the list" (for Uncache to allow to pre-load during reset) are:
    AutoOff
    BluePill
    Butler
    Clock Wireless (Palmary Clock)
    FontSmoother
    OnCradleOn
    Resco Backup
    SkinUI
    ZLauncher

This little app, Uncache rocks!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    dmitry is cool, but man his website sucks... How much does uncache cost, I can't find the price ANYWHERE. I'm overlooking it, I'm sure.
    It's free, I found it under downloads, Palm software, 2nd page
    http://www.palmpowerups.com/modules....titleA&show=10
  4.    #4  
    It is not free! The download will disable after 14 days. It's $5.95. I think if you click on "Buy" you will see the price but can abort buying if you don't want it.
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    See, I knew it wasn't free, just couldn't find a price anywhere

I'll check it out.
    Anyone seend a good list of things to notify? I guess any background apps, but what about other things? I've seen from searches that Blazer doesn't work quite right sometimes, SMS links don't work, etc.

Probably are some stubs or such to put in the notify list to rectify this I suspect. When I have time to sit down and play with this app tonight I'll experiment, but thinking there's probably a list somewhere I haven't seen.

Here's a bit of a list I found searching here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=133622
  7.    #7  
    I'm new to the app and certainly not the resident expert, but the idea is to not have any more apps in the list than is absolutely necessary. In other words, you only want apps that absolutely don't work right without getting Launch Code 5 at boot up. Start with your alarm programs and things you know run in the background, including backup applications that run automated backups.

If you initially miss something vital, it will most likely let you know very quickly. Case in point . . . I did not include ZLauncher the first go around. Well, after reset, I only got the basic Palm Launcher. Added ZL to the list, reset and it came up correctly in ZL.

I also did not include initially OnCradleOn, and had my Treo on in the cradle and it powered off on its own, which is what OnCradleOn prevents, which told me that it did not load. So I added it to the list, reset, and as I'm typing this I'm looking at my Treo in the cradle and it hasn't powered off.

In this situation, better to try without the app in the list and when you launch it, find that it doesn't behave right, and then add it to the list, reset and check again, than it would be to put a whole bunch of apps in the list that don't need to be there . . . kinda defeats the purpose of Uncache in the first place.
    Yeah, basically what I did was think about every program in the list.. I have a pretty clear view of what's background etc.. but I'm sure I missed a few things. I'll find 'em, as you did with ZLauncher.

It wasn't super dramatic, but my reboot time did go from 2:46 to 1:59. Still amazing that it takes 2 minutes for my 680 to reboot. My 650 rebooted in half that IIRC.

BTW, by reboot, this means the timer starts when I have ZLauncher do soft reset, through boot sequence, hits phone app, phone turns on, Chatter and Verichat connect, then it freezes for a moment (I hit the Home key at this point), when it's "unfroze" (4-5s) it'll go home. That's when I stop the clock. IE: It's ready to use.
  9.    #9  
    Even though Uncache leaves you with more free DBcache after reset, what it seems to do best that really makes a difference is to prevent cache fragmentation by not having all the apps on your device do a Code 5 during boot up. That's why, even after running a few apps and having your DBcache drop to 5M or less, the Treo's response time switching between apps and doing stuff within apps remains better/faster than without it. As JesusFreak said over at 1src, Uncache makes NVFS work the way it should have from the git-go.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    It is not free! The download will disable after 14 days. It's $5.95. I think if you click on "Buy" you will see the price but can abort buying if you don't want it.
    I can't find "buy" on the site, but uncache tells me I have only 13 days left to buy it. I have emailed Dmitry bujt no answer so far.
    Laissez Faire
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    I can't find "buy" on the site.
    On the home page below each product is a "BUY NOW" button!
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    Even though Uncache leaves you with more free DBcache after reset, what it seems to do best that really makes a difference is to prevent cache fragmentation by not having all the apps on your device do a Code 5 during boot up. That's why, even after running a few apps and having your DBcache drop to 5M or less, the Treo's response time switching between apps and doing stuff within apps remains better/faster than without it. As JesusFreak said over at 1src, Uncache makes NVFS work the way it should have from the git-go.
    I honestly didn't notice any response difference in my 680.. It did boot 46s faster. I'll have to ponder if that's worth $6. I might poke around to see if the latency is better with it, but I didn't notice anything last night.

I would expect that the improved latency would be a short term effect, after launching a few programs the dbcache gets fragmented anyway.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I honestly didn't notice any response difference in my 680.. It did boot 46s faster.
    It may be that Palm did a better implementation job of NVFS on the 680 than on the 700p. It may be that the end-of-month firmware update for the 700p will address that. But I'm noticing the snappy responsiveness of my 700p holds after numerous application launches.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Here's my feedback. I also installed Uncache on my 700p. I do notice a bit more " responsiveness " overall but I noticed some compatability issues. Initially I added Butler, zLauncher, p Tunes, and Audio Gateway to Uncache list. After the soft reset required for the changes to take effect, Ludus P and Volume Care became disabled despite the fact the applications were still checked enabled. I unchecked and rechecked them and they worked again. After manually resetting my 700p, the same thing happened again with Ludus P and Volume Care. Just to see what would happen, I added Ludus P and Volume Care to the Uncache list of apps and now everything is working nicely. Go figure. Also, pTunes skips noticeably a lot less during application switching and skipping so far seems nonexistent when just listening to music. I have to say that Uncache is a worthy application for the 700p.
    HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    Tried it on my 650, and didn't notice faster boot times, but once it's booted, everything works snappier.

I seem to be having a problem where the cell radio turns off randomly, but other than that no problems..... I have to figure out why it does that tho!
    My boot up time is cut by 2/3's. And the slowest program(the phone app) is now the fastest. Treolauncher, VM are the slowest. calendar part of VM however is lightning fast. Still get skipping on P Tunes, but not near as bad.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2 View Post
    Here's my feedback. I also installed Uncache on my 700p. I do notice a bit more " responsiveness " overall but I noticed some compatability issues. Initially I added Butler, zLauncher, p Tunes, and Audio Gateway to Uncache list. After the soft reset required for the changes to take effect, Ludus P and Volume Care became disabled despite the fact the applications were still checked enabled. I unchecked and rechecked them and they worked again. After manually resetting my 700p, the same thing happened again with Ludus P and Volume Care. Just to see what would happen, I added Ludus P and Volume Care to the Uncache list of apps and now everything is working nicely. Go figure. Also, pTunes skips noticeably a lot less during application switching and skipping so far seems nonexistent when just listening to music. I have to say that Uncache is a worthy application for the 700p.
    Um, as mentioned, you have to put programs which need to be ran at boot in the list, or they aren't ran.. Background apps such as LudusP and Volume Care would have to be in the list.

For reference, here's my list:

4cast
    Agendus Btn2 (not sure if this is the right one; I should set an alarm and see)
    Butler
    Chatter
    Crash
    DXTGAttachmentPlugin (I think this is right?)
    FindHack
    FondSmoother
    LudusP
    NVBackup
    ProfileCare
    Reset Doctor
    RLock
    SC-HotKey (necessary?)
    snapCalc5
    snapDates
    TakePhone (not sure if this is necessary either)
    VeriChat
    VolumeCare
    ZLauncher
  18.    #18  
    khaytsus,

I'm wondering why these made your list:

4cast
    Agendus Btn2
    DXTGAttachmentPlugin
    TakePhone
    VolumeCare

As I suggested earlier, don't add them unless you have issues with them. If you don't use alarms in Agendus, you don't need it in the list (and it is a memory hog). Not even sure if you need it with alarms.

VolumeCare seems to work as advertised for me without being in the list. 4cast definately works without being in the list.

The others I question I don't have/use but you should test them not being in the list. This might explain your lack-luster performance enhancement experience with Uncache.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling View Post
    Tried it on my 650, and didn't notice faster boot times, but once it's booted, everything works snappier.

I seem to be having a problem where the cell radio turns off randomly, but other than that no problems..... I have to figure out why it does that tho!
    Might be an app that does scheduled updates that needs to be in "the list."
    VM with exchange active sync does not work with it. It will not work if you add the AM State to uncache, and it will not work if you don't.
    Matty
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast