Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    nevermind fixed d*mn that was close!
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    nevermind fixed d*mn that was close!
    OK I guess I'm not out the water yet. How do I remove this app?
    I'm still getting the reset loop I really don't want to hard reset I'm going to Cry
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Do a warm reset. Hold up on the 5-way while pressing reset.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Uncache (and Resco Locker) are two programs that are not for everybody......I base this on.....

1. The 3rd party Apps you currently have loaded. Some are just incompatible with not being a part of the cache after a reset. Or being locked down from growing.

2. User

Best to wait for the Palm MR, but even then I would think that there are going to be some issues. It's probably why Palm and other tech companies are so hesitant in releasing firmware updates.
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    thats how i stop it the first time but now it says the app is past the demo so I can't change anything. I just did the hard reset!
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Hello Doc,
    I think that Uncache loads two files. The main program and an additional file that must also be deleted. I don't recall what that file was, but you must use something like Filez to see it and delete it.
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    Here is mention of it on some not so friendly yahoo group....

OK, it appears that Uncache leaves behind a residual file -- something
    like Uncache-ext.pdb (don't recall at the moment what it exactly was)
    -- that is protected and a PITA to delete. Once you delete it from
    RAM, the phone soft resets and the Default web Pref returns to normal.

Much better than hard resetting -- easier _and_ I learned something
    that might benefit someone else. ;-)
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    twitch3 & 2smart4phone
    thanks for your help. I did the hard reset already thanks to Palm and there Palm Backup beta works like a charm LOL
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Doc,

Here is another post from that unfriendly yahoo group...

That deleted the program itself, but that extra file, whose name escapes
    me at the moment, was left behind. I used Filez to try to delete it,
    but it was locked. I did a warm reset and then Filez was able to delete
    the file.

Hope this helps...
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I tired deleting that files and thats when all the maddness start (i think) then I did the warm reset set but when I tried to use file z while loading the rom is started the reset
    My Themes - Prethemer
  11.    #51  
    There are two files to Uncache: UnCacheUI (21k) and UncacheExt (2k). Disable Uncache (in the app itself) and then delete these two files. Perform a reset. This should completely eliminate the app.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Interesting..... I just discovered that with UnCache, my PalmInternals score is a whopping 8s. I went in to disable it to check something, and it told me that it was expired. So I did a soft reset and tried Palm Internals again.. Back to 93s.

Although I'm not entirely convinced that the PI score really means much in terms of actual latency, as it feels the same as it did before the reset in ZLauncher and other apps.. Slight delay between actions, as the 680 always has.
    BTW, with James' Custom 1 rom, my reboot (without uncache!) dropped to 2:02 from 2:46, same applications installed.

Uncache ran out of trial period, so not sure how fast it'd boot with it on. But before it dropped from 2:46 to just over 2:00, so I'd GUESS perhaps around 1:25. That wouldn't be half bad. But not really worth $6 to me.

Anyone buy this program? Curious.
    I bought UNCACHE for my 650. It worked well with the 650, made it more stable. Loading apps was faster, going from app to app was faster, just seems everything was faster. BUT, I did NOT notice an increase in speed on my 650 from Palminternals.

Now that I got the 680, I haven't used UNCACHE. I get 8-9 seconds from Palminternals, and if only CityID works, I can delete TreoAreaCodes, and gain another 2 seconds.

I only have KeyCaps, Fieldsplus, KeyShades, TreoAreaCodes hooking HEDE.

My logic is that even if I use UNCACHE, it might improve a second or so, so basically I don't want to waste time setting it up.

For you, it seems it might be worth it, going from 93 seconds to 8 seconds! But I would test everything out to see exactly which files you need to add, because sometimes it's not so obvious which system files need to be added to Uncache.
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling View Post
    I bought UNCACHE for my 650. It worked well with the 650, made it more stable. Loading apps was faster, going from app to app was faster, just seems everything was faster. BUT, I did NOT notice an increase in speed on my 650 from Palminternals.

Now that I got the 680, I haven't used UNCACHE. I get 8-9 seconds from Palminternals, and if only CityID works, I can delete TreoAreaCodes, and gain another 2 seconds.

I only have KeyCaps, Fieldsplus, KeyShades, TreoAreaCodes hooking HEDE.

My logic is that even if I use UNCACHE, it might improve a second or so, so basically I don't want to waste time setting it up.

For you, it seems it might be worth it, going from 93 seconds to 8 seconds! But I would test everything out to see exactly which files you need to add, because sometimes it's not so obvious which system files need to be added to Uncache.
    Nah, I had them all in there. Everything was working.

BTW, don't rely so much on Palm Internals, as the real world example of what it's benchmarking doesn't exist. It does give an overall indication of latency, but I think I did mention earlier in the thread that the overall speed of the 680 did not seem to change at all for me, just a faster boot. Yes, Palm Internals had a drastic change (not sure why, but I didn't try launching every program then running it again to see if it slowed back down or anything..) but as I mentioned, no real world changes in usage.

So just boiled down to faster boot time. Boot time IS significant, especially when you're really wanting to do something and it bombs. But the 680 crashes SO seldom it isn't a big deal for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    But the 680 crashes SO seldom it isn't a big deal for me.
    Definetly agree with you!
    khaytsus - did ProfileCare switching seem any faster with UnCache installed? I suspect it wouldn't make a difference, but thought I'd ask.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    khaytsus - did ProfileCare switching seem any faster with UnCache installed? I suspect it wouldn't make a difference, but thought I'd ask.
    Well.... no. It's not going to make any particular program run faster, it just makes it so it doesn't launch programs which don't need to be launched at reset basically.

How long does it take to switch a profile for you? Me, maybe 2s.. Never thought it was a big deal.
    Thanks - that's what I expected. When I saw the 1src comments like "makes nvfs work like it was supposed to...", I got a little hopeful.

On my 700p, a simple sound/display profile (the "Silent" or "Movie" example ones) take about 30 seconds. The other ones that include turning BT on/off take longer - closer to a minute.

I need to search if anyone reported ProfileCare run time improvements with the MR - that might make it worth the upgrade even if I get the 755 "touchtone when silent" problem. I don't get the "BT pairs but won't transfer audio" too often.

Was never anything close to this long on my 600 or 650 which makes me think it's related to the nvfs changes in the 700p and/or changes to make the prefs db less prone to corruption. Needless to say, when I have to wait for it, it drives me beserk. I may need to do some experimenting to see if anything else makes a difference.

Can't remember for sure - did you ever have a 700p or skip direct to the 680?
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    Thanks - that's what I expected. When I saw the 1src comments like "makes nvfs work like it was supposed to...", I got a little hopeful.

On my 700p, a simple sound/display profile (the "Silent" or "Movie" example ones) take about 30 seconds. The other ones that include turning BT on/off take longer - closer to a minute.

I need to search if anyone reported ProfileCare run time improvements with the MR - that might make it worth the upgrade even if I get the 755 "touchtone when silent" problem. I don't get the "BT pairs but won't transfer audio" too often.

Was never anything close to this long on my 600 or 650 which makes me think it's related to the nvfs changes in the 700p and/or changes to make the prefs db less prone to corruption. Needless to say, when I have to wait for it, it drives me beserk. I may need to do some experimenting to see if anything else makes a difference.

Can't remember for sure - did you ever have a 700p or skip direct to the 680?
    That's odd... 30s? Seems rather long. I've never timed it, but I'm sure it's only 2-3s, maybe 5s at most. Much longer and I'd definately be concerned with it, but so far I never have been

I never switch bluetooth, however.. My profiles are just Work (Automatic, most things muted, others very low), Home (Default, moderate levels), Car (Manual, High everything), Car Night (Manual, High everything, low screen brightness), perhaps a couple others, but those are really the only ones I use.

I've been on Cingular for about 15 years now, so I never had a 700. I had a 650 before, now the 680.

(Well, it was Bellsouth, then Bellsouth Mobility, then Cingular, now DeathStar......... but....)
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast