Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I currently use a Sprint T650 and aside from the lockups I get if I try to make a call within 5 seconds of sending an SMS, as well as the occasional reset from whatever gremlin lives in the phone, all has been "reasonably" ok. (Let's face it the BT on ALL the TREO's is just plain awful).

I decided to grab a 700p for a few reasons

1. EVDO (the MAIN reason really)
    2. Onboard memory upgrade
    3. Better camera (I actually use mine all the time for work)

Now after reading the posts on this forum I have SIGNIFICANT doubts about the viability of the 700p and am really considering just keeping my 650 and selling off the 700p when it arrives instead of dealing with ALL the issues that phone has.

Of MAJOR concern to me is the apparent rampant issues the 700p has with BT. I can't be without a BT headset (I use my phone about 2 hours a day for work and much of this is while I am driving) and I have too much money invested in BT headsets to go back to wired.

Currently I am using the following BT headsets:

Jabra JX10 (VERY iffy voice quality, but LOOONG battery life)

Jabra BT250 (Just forget this one, good voice quality AS LONG AS the phone is within 3 feet of the headset, on the same side of the body as the phone)

Plantronics Discovery 655 (my current favorite, good distance, decent voice but TERRIBLE battery time)

Sony Ericsson HBH 660 (good, but just doesn't stay on my ear at all and the call volume is WAY too low unless you vulcan mind meld a Jabra ear thingy onto it)

So, I guess my question is...(drum roll plz)....shoule I "upgrade" to the 700p considering that a huge requirement is BT (using the Plantronics 655 headset preferably)?

I won't even get into my other major concern, which is "how in hell am I going to get the data from my 650 onto the new 700p? That alone is almost too daunting to consider.

Ok peeps...convince me one way or the other. I have until Monday to decide what to do..
    T300 (6 mos.) ---> T600 (14 Mos.) ---> T650 (11 Mos.) ---> 700p
    No, its not a bad decision...depending on what you want. A MR is coming out to increase the pairing stability in the BT. You can just do a simple hotsync to transfer MOST (not all) data onto the 700p.

The real question is if you want the 700p or the 755p, which should be out by Monday...your deadline! Its virtually the same as the 700p, but has the 750v profile and soft touch paint (cool) and the miniSD (not the coolest, depending on your stance).
    I agree with BMIC50. What's the return policy on the 700p? I'd try it out over the weekend and then consider the 755p next week if you are not satisfied.

Not to be a jerk but, with 57 posts here, your question seems surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Not to be a jerk but, with 57 posts here, your question seems surprising.
    Yeah...too much info on the subject (755p vs 700p, 680, 650) to even start a new thread! But here we are...
    If I were in your position I would return the 700p within the allotted time.

In the next few weeks you have some choices coming -- (a) another 700p with a maintenance release; (b) the 755p; or (c) yes the counter-intuitive 700wx (which I own); or even maybe even (d) "Hello Cingular!" if you happen to be out of contract.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Yeah...too much info on the subject (755p vs 700p, 680, 650) to even start a new thread! But here we are...
    Ok, let me try and explain why I posted this thread. I have done my homework and searched the other threads that kind of tackle this (and read a LOT of griping, hence the post), but here's the thing:

1. I don't consider myself a "Power user" per se. As such I don't need a ton of extra features and functionality to make me happy with the Treo. MOST of the posts I have sifted through are from people who have much higher demands / expectations of the Treo as that is what they require for their usage. This post was in hopes of eliciting responses that focused specifically on two areas of need for myself. EVDO functionality (which by all accounts is very good) and BT (which I still haven't gotten a read on, if this is all inclusive or sporadic in it's deficiencies (in other words, do some people have better luck with it than others..).

Lastly, I wanted to get a fresh perspective on what BT headsets people HAVE had success with and see if I might be in luck that one of mine (and truthfully I am hoping for the plantronics) would be a good "fit" for the 700p.

So, I apologize if this post seems redundant, but to me it is specific to the questions I need answered by those who perhaps might have had better luck with their 700p.
    The feedback I got is that non-power users are happy with the 700p.

The consistent feedback I see here on TC about bluetooth is that if you have a Treo you are not having a good BT day.

I have the Cardio Scala 500 and the Palm Treo wireless headset and both currently sit in my desk drawer and I hold my Treo up to my head to talk.

EDIT: that was my experience with the 650 and my current experience with the 700wx. The 700wx seems a bit better though it isn't good enough.
    yes you did make a mistake. even if the MR fixes the problems. You are better off going with latest and greatest, if you would like the stay with Palm, the 755p. If you are willing to go away from Palm, then I would suggest going with the BB 8830.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post

I have the Cardio Scala 500 and the Palm Treo wireless headset and both currently sit in my desk drawer and I hold my Treo up to my head to talk.
    Yeah, see THAT is my biggest worry right now as I actually have "decent" connectivity with my 650 and the Plantronics 655. I truly can't deal with holding the Treo to my ear. it gets WAY too hot and it's WAY too bulky to use it like that.

..not a good sign of my liking the 700p. Not good at all....
    mistake imo.. I'm a requirements driven user, and if I needed BT to work as well as you need it to, I would think the 700p is not the right phone at this time.

To what extent the MR will fix things is at this point unclear, so why risk it?
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Odd thing is that the bluetooth on my 700P has been working well with the Jabra JX10. I have had one issue with the JX10 and the 700P. In a fit of rage after one of my 700P white screens (of almost death), which kept me from making a call while I waited for what seemed like minutes, I deactivated my Treo 700P and switched back to my LG 8600. Odd thing was that the bluetooth on the 8600 didn't sound as good as the 700P. Further, the LG didn't fit my needs as I am a frequent traveler and use the internet heavily on my phones. So after 3 days, I switched back to my 700P. I paired the JX10 with the 700P, but could not get any sound through the headset. I reset the 700P, then everything worked fine. Haven't had an issue since. I feel lucky, as I have been on calls for 30+ minutes and haven't dropped one of them yet. So for me, the JX10 and the 700P are a good combination. My love/hate relationship with the Treo continues, until something better comes along.
    I use a Jabra BT250 with my 700p and I don't have any problems with it at all. I'm on my phone ~2000 minutes a month with about half of the being on the BT250. I either have my Treo on my belt clip. Hanging on a clip on the dash of my truck - which is in the center of a full size truck, or sitting on my desk. The BT250 works much better on my 700p than it did on my 650 - on the 650 I had to manually switch calls to the headset whereas on the 700 they are automatically sent there as long as it's turned on. The only problem I've had with my 700 has been slow switching between apps - specifically any time I switch from the browser (blazer or Xiino) and any other app (especially an incoming phone call). But that hasn't been enough to make me want to get rid of it. I've been FAR happier with my 700 than my 650 and I liked my 650.
    I've been very happy with my 700. A few resets, but I am hopeful about the MR. It is crazy what this phone can do when you consider the thousands of 3rd party solutions. As for the 755, to me it's more of a downgrade. You gain .1" of form factor, but you give up battery life and SD capacity to get there.
    The 700 is a very good phone. The bluetooth can be a problem, but there are many people who use the bluetooth and for whatever reasons, have no trouble. It must depend on the headset. That being said, why don't you answer your own question. You have several headsets and a 700. Try them out and see how they work. The main issue has been randon disconnects, but you can usually just press your headset button and reconnect. Let us know how your testing goes and which headset works best.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for the replies. Got the 700p today and will be doing some BT testing post haste.

I'll let y'all know if I get lucky with this one.
    1. I wouldn't count on the MR since no one really knows what it's going to cover or when it's actually going to be released.

2. Lots of cell phones have BT issues not just the Treo series. I had a BT500 and I had very little trouble with it.

3. The 755? I for one do not subject myself to being a guinea pig, I never buy anything electronic when it first rolls out.

I'll say again, I've had issues with my 700P just like many others here, but most of mine disappeared when I started doing resets every morning. Some people think that's too much trouble, but for me taking 5 minutes in the morning to reset it is well worth having it work well for the rest of the day.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    1. I wouldn't count on the MR since no one really knows what it's going to cover or when it's actually going to be released.

2. Lots of cell phones have BT issues not just the Treo series. I had a BT500 and I had very little trouble with it.

3. The 755? I for one do not subject myself to being a guinea pig, I never buy anything electronic when it first rolls out.

I'll say again, I've had issues with my 700P just like many others here, but most of mine disappeared when I started doing resets every morning. Some people think that's too much trouble, but for me taking 5 minutes in the morning to reset it is well worth having it work well for the rest of the day.
    Dude, your Avitar scares me...
    Here's what Palm said the MR would look like:

When we release a MR that replaces the ROM image and radio firmware on a Treo, the process becomes more rigorous and requires more steps than a patch. ...

That means we batch together a number of changes that come from a variety of sources - call centers, online forums, carriers, retail stores, etc.

In addition to the Bluetooth improvements I mentioned above, the 700p MR includes updates to SMS send/receive performance, MP3 playback, phone app launch speed and other areas.

Will this MR make the device more stable? The short answer is "yes"

We've improved overall stability to Bluetooth pairing and connections.

We've implemented specific mitigations that will benefit some of you: launching the phone app should be faster, we've lessened the occurrence of SMS sending delays and we addressed a problem that was causing the multi-second delays when launching/exiting the browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    I've been very happy with my 700. A few resets, but I am hopeful about the MR. It is crazy what this phone can do when you consider the thousands of 3rd party solutions. As for the 755, to me it's more of a downgrade. You gain .1" of form factor, but you give up battery life and SD capacity to get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiRexer View Post
    I use a Jabra BT250 with my 700p and I don't have any problems with it at all. I'm on my phone ~2000 minutes a month with about half of the being on the BT250. I either have my Treo on my belt clip. Hanging on a clip on the dash of my truck - which is in the center of a full size truck, or sitting on my desk. The BT250 works much better on my 700p than it did on my 650 - on the 650 I had to manually switch calls to the headset whereas on the 700 they are automatically sent there as long as it's turned on. The only problem I've had with my 700 has been slow switching between apps - specifically any time I switch from the browser (blazer or Xiino) and any other app (especially an incoming phone call). But that hasn't been enough to make me want to get rid of it. I've been FAR happier with my 700 than my 650 and I liked my 650.
    Got a BT250 about 3 weeks ago and of all the BT headsets I've tried over the past year, is the only one that works reliably, keeps the paring and has good volume and performance.

Ironically is not listed as compatible with the 700p by Palm
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast