1.    #1  
    I am a long standing Treo user, having purchased (multiple times) each of the Palm (Access) based Treo models starting with the 600.

I have been a loyal and excited Treo user, with the belief that there was no better product on the market. This refers to the innovation & feature list, and not the quality of the Treo’s I have owned, as not one of them has lived up to my expectations on hardware and software quality, durability & stability, but I was willing to overlook all of those problems given the general completeness and flexibility of the product. With each new upgrade, I have come to expect a new & expanded feature set, and a new level of durability. I have been disappointed each time about the level of improvement, BUT each model has had some improvement, thus making each of the introductions for the new devices exciting.

Now, with the release of the 755p, I am left feeling frustrated, upset, let down and disappointed. I think the best way to illustrate why is to describe my “Dream Treo”

The following is a list of features that I would love to see separated into 2 categories, including dream features (those not practical yet, due to outside circumstances) and those that could/should have been in the successor to the 700p.

Dream Features:
    • WiMax, Wifi (802.11b – at least), CDMA2000, & EVDO. With the ability to roam from one to the next (this is obviously not available yet as WiMax and the ability to roam from WiMax/Wifi(VOIP) to CDMA is not yet practical, but this feature highlights what could have been started with the 755p (see below)
    • Faster Processor. I don’t know what that means as I have not done any research into what processors are planned for the future, but I would expect that this is a future eventuality.
    • 256 – 1gb (or more of memory). With the ability to add additional (A MiniSD slot limits users to 4gb, at least the 700p’s SD slot was upgradeable – even if not supported by Palm – to use a currently available 8gb SD card.) I know that I as a user want more memory, not a new limit to less memory
    • MUTLITASKING

Features that Should/Could have been in the 755p
    • Better bluetooth with Stereo support. This is the feature that I’m most upset about, given the technology already exists and is currently in use in both many other products, and more importantly in a different Treo product (the 680). So, it means that it’s not so new and/or futuristic that it simply wasn’t possible.
    • WiFi. I don’t personally see a NEED for Wifi, but I see 2 potential uses that most Treo power users could take advantage of (usable now, in addition to the future possibilities – see above) - including myself, if WiFi were available. They are:
    o Faster wireless sync
    o A Phone application that switches between CDMA and Wifi for use at home or at work on my existing VOIP phone service (notice, I didn’t say roam from one to the other, but merely switch). I carry my Treo with me all the time, even when I’m at home, because I use the voice recording capabilities often, so having WiFi and the ability to switch back and forth would allow me to not have to “Run to the phone” when my phone rings, but rather use the existing device that I already have strapped to my belt (and in my ear with Bluetooth) to answer both my cell phone calls and my home phone calls. Also, if this becomes a feature in a future upgrade – as a stepping stone to full multi-network roaming - please allow the “Home Phone” VOIP/WiFi network to connect to multiple Treo’s so my wife and I (who both own Treo’s) could use them for our individual cell phone calls, as well as jointly for our home phone calls.
    • Longer battery Life (either with the standard battery or with immediate to market expansion batteries.) I use Seidio’s 3200mAh battery, and can’t see a Treo without it (I keep my Treo in a Toughskin case, and therefore do not want to EVER remove it to change batteries, because it stretches out – and ruins the case), so a longer life battery is imperative! NOT LESS BATTERY LIFE!
    • Faster Processor. As I mentioned above, I don’t have a spec for what this could/should have been, but it’s fair to assume an increase in speed given 1½ year’s in the waiting
    • More memory (built in). Again, I would love to see tons of memory, but it seems fair to assume at least something of an upgrade (256mb, 512mb, etc) given the time since the last upgrade.
    • DTG 9.0. I hate the instability of DTG, and would prefer a different product all together, but if this is what is going to be included in ROM (hopefully for increased stability and faster speed), at least include the latest version so I don’t have to use ram anyway to upgrade!

My disappointment is as follows:

Who the hell is this device for. If the 680 is designed for the average consumer (in features, usability & price) and for the emerging markets here and abroad, and the 700p is designed for the power user (high price & more functionality), who is the 755p designed for. As far as I can tell, it’s really only for the users who are still using a Treo 600 (or maybe a 650, although it is – for the most part – the same minimal upgrade that didn’t have them upgrade to the 700p a year or 2 ago, so why now?!)

Even Palm has stated that the 755p is for the power user community. The quote below is from the review on Treocentral.com (referring to the Phone Application) – I include this merely for the reference to the intended market of power users, rather than a reference to the phone application – I am happy with the current phone /favorites application as I use TakePhone anyway:

“In an interview today, a Palm representative stated that there were two reasons for this: the 755p is more of a "power user" phone and the "classic" PalmOS Phone app is more geared toward that user and also that the 680's phone app is tied relatively closely to its GSM radio so transferring it to the 755p would have taken quite a bit of work….”

The consumer market and the emerging markets may want the new form factor, and I understand and respect both the need to pursue those markets and the new development strategy that allows for multiple operating systems on the same platform, so it is easier to bring new phones to the market over time – by not having to develop fundamentally different models for Palm/Access/AccessLinux (in the future) & Windows Mobile, but there is an existing Treo community that is more concerned about the battery life and new features. Both of which the 755p seems to lack.

I do like the idea of a new form factor and no antenna, but it is simply insulting to think that I have been waiting for 1½ years for Stereo Bluetooth, more memory, and a faster and more reliable platform, but all I got was marginally slimmer, brighter colors, LESS battery life & more limited memory expansion.

I am really clear that some features I was hoping for, including true multitasking (the Access Linux future), and multi-network roaming (after Sprint’s – or other - WiMax networks are available) are future potentials/likelihoods, and not ready now, but the other features I have discussed, more memory, Stereo Bluetooth, and stability and function (hardware, OS & software) improvements are sorely missing.

It is no surprise to me (although it is upsetting) that the PALM community has been screaming about the lack of innovation recently at PALM. And, as far as I can see, the 755p is a huge, PALM sanctioned, billboard for the validity of those complaints.

Even though I have been a loyal (and ecstatic) Treo user for many years, I am now strongly thinking about looking elsewhere for my future PDA/Phone/Multimedia, one device does EVERTHING needs, because although I have a huge investment in Palm hardware and Palm (Access) software, it seems clear that the future looks stagnant and Palm considers the 700p/755p/680 to be the end of a great line of innovation and ingenuity (speaking only about the Palm/Access OS).

It’s a dam shame too, because even with all of the current faults of the 700p it still seems to be the best converged device available. But, if this is as good as it’s gonna get, and/or if Palm expects loyalists to continue to spend money for nothing new, then maybe someone else is interested in my business.

600-650-700p - Probably the end of the line for me
    Last edited by albotross; 05/11/2007 at 01:08 PM. Reason: aded a line
    Wow! Where does one begin...?!
    Keep in mind that this wasnt designed to be an upgrade, but a replacement to unify hardware and lower costs.
  4.    #4  
    What does that mean???

In the software world, and update costs $10 for what I originally paid $ $20-$100 for. At $300 (I assume that's with a new contract), there seems to be no reason for the "Update". The next version, that actually is an upgrade, and that (based on existing new product release timelines) should have been the 755p could have been built on the new form factor.

It still leaves me wondering what now?

If the rumors about a "flip/tablet" type treo is what's next (the folio) are true, then the 1 handed operation of the current form factor is dead, and if both form factors will be available, then I still see no need for having released the 755p now. Either wait until the new OS is available and release an upgrade then, or have this model actually be an upgrade.

Still confused?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Last edited by albotross; 05/11/2007 at 01:24 PM. Reason: correct a typo
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I think the 755p is awesome....for a first real Treo. This is finally what the 600p should have been. Decent screen, basic features, usable amount of memory. It's only 3.5 years late! And pretty enormous for a phone in 2007, but not bad for 2003.
    I agree that they couldve just used the new form factor on the Linux Treo instead of re-releasing the 700p in a new shell, but this is not the next level from Palm.

As far as the other future models you speak of, I wouldnt know. I know that they confirmed the new OS based on the Linux kernel and thats it.
    Quote Originally Posted by albotross View Post
    I am a long standing Treo user, having purchased (multiple times) each of the Palm (Access) based Treo models starting with the 600.

I have been a loyal and excited Treo user, with the belief that there was no better product on the market. This refers to the innovation & feature list, and not the quality of the Treo’s I have owned, as not one of them has lived up to my expectations on hardware and software quality, durability & stability, but I was willing to overlook all of those problems given the general completeness and flexibility of the product. With each new upgrade, I have come to expect a new & expanded feature set, and a new level of durability. I have been disappointed each time about the level of improvement, BUT each model has had some improvement, thus making each of the introductions for the new devices exciting.

Now, with the release of the 755p, I am left feeling frustrated, upset, let down and disappointed. I think the best way to illustrate why is to describe my “Dream Treo”

The following is a list of features that I would love to see separated into 2 categories, including dream features (those not practical yet, due to outside circumstances) and those that could/should have been in the successor to the 700p.

Dream Features:
    • WiMax, Wifi (802.11b – at least), CDMA2000, & EVDO. With the ability to roam from one to the next (this is obviously not available yet as WiMax and the ability to roam from WiMax/Wifi(VOIP) to CDMA is not yet practical, but this feature highlights what could have been started with the 755p (see below)
    • Faster Processor. I don’t know what that means as I have not done any research into what processors are planned for the future, but I would expect that this is a future eventuality.
    • 256 – 1gb (or more of memory). With the ability to add additional (A MiniSD slot limits users to 4gb, at least the 700p’s SD slot was upgradeable – even if not supported by Palm – to use a currently available 8gb SD card.) I know that I as a user want more memory, not a new limit to less memory
    • MUTLITASKING

Features that Should/Could have been in the 755p
    • Better bluetooth with Stereo support. This is the feature that I’m most upset about, given the technology already exists and is currently in use in both many other products, and more importantly in a different Treo product (the 680). So, it means that it’s not so new and/or futuristic that it simply wasn’t possible.
    • WiFi. I don’t personally see a NEED for Wifi, but I see 2 potential uses that most Treo power users could take advantage of (usable now, in addition to the future possibilities – see above) - including myself, if WiFi were available. They are:
    o Faster wireless sync
    o A Phone application that switches between CDMA and Wifi for use at home or at work on my existing VOIP phone service (notice, I didn’t say roam from one to the other, but merely switch). I carry my Treo with me all the time, even when I’m at home, because I use the voice recording capabilities often, so having WiFi and the ability to switch back and forth would allow me to not have to “Run to the phone” when my phone rings, but rather use the existing device that I already have strapped to my belt (and in my ear with Bluetooth) to answer both my cell phone calls and my home phone calls. Also, if this becomes a feature in a future upgrade – as a stepping stone to full multi-network roaming - please allow the “Home Phone” VOIP/WiFi network to connect to multiple Treo’s so my wife and I (who both own Treo’s) could use them for our individual cell phone calls, as well as jointly for our home phone calls.
    • Longer battery Life (either with the standard battery or with immediate to market expansion batteries.) I use Seidio’s 3200mAh battery, and can’t see a Treo without it (I keep my Treo in a Toughskin case, and therefore do not want to EVER remove it to change batteries, because it stretches out – and ruins the case), so a longer life battery is imperative! NOT LESS BATTERY LIFE!
    • Faster Processor. As I mentioned above, I don’t have a spec for what this could/should have been, but it’s fair to assume an increase in speed given 1½ year’s in the waiting
    • More memory (built in). Again, I would love to see tons of memory, but it seems fair to assume at least something of an upgrade (256mb, 512mb, etc) given the time since the last upgrade.
    • DTG 9.0. I hate the instability of DTG, and would prefer a different product all together, but if this is what is going to be included in ROM (hopefully for increased stability and faster speed), at least include the latest version so I don’t have to use ram anyway to upgrade!

My disappointment is as follows:

Who the hell is this device for. If the 680 is designed for the average consumer (in features, usability & price) and for the emerging markets here and abroad, and the 700p is designed for the power user (high price & more functionality), who is the 755p designed for. As far as I can tell, it’s really only for the users who are still using a Treo 600 (or maybe a 650, although it is – for the most part – the same minimal upgrade that didn’t have them upgrade to the 700p a year or 2 ago, so why now?!)

Even Palm has stated that the 755p is for the power user community. The quote below is from the review on Treocentral.com (referring to the Phone Application) – I include this merely for the reference to the intended market of power users, rather than a reference to the phone application – I am happy with the current phone /favorites application as I use TakePhone anyway:

“In an interview today, a Palm representative stated that there were two reasons for this: the 755p is more of a "power user" phone and the "classic" PalmOS Phone app is more geared toward that user and also that the 680's phone app is tied relatively closely to its GSM radio so transferring it to the 755p would have taken quite a bit of work….”

The consumer market and the emerging markets may want the new form factor, and I understand and respect both the need to pursue those markets and the new development strategy that allows for multiple operating systems on the same platform, so it is easier to bring new phones to the market over time – by not having to develop fundamentally different models for Palm/Access/AccessLinux (in the future) & Windows Mobile, but there is an existing Treo community that is more concerned about the battery life and new features. Both of which the 755p seems to lack.

I do like the idea of a new form factor and no antenna, but it is simply insulting to think that I have been waiting for 1½ years for Stereo Bluetooth, more memory, and a faster and more reliable platform, but all I got was marginally slimmer, brighter colors, LESS battery life & more limited memory expansion.

I am really clear that some features I was hoping for, including true multitasking (the Access Linux future), and multi-network roaming (after Sprint’s – or other - WiMax networks are available) are future potentials/likelihoods, and not ready now, but the other features I have discussed, more memory, Stereo Bluetooth, and stability and function (hardware, OS & software) improvements are sorely missing.

It is no surprise to me (although it is upsetting) that the PALM community has been screaming about the lack of innovation recently at PALM. And, as far as I can see, the 755p is a huge, PALM sanctioned, billboard for the validity of those complaints.

Even though I have been a loyal (and ecstatic) Treo user for many years, I am now strongly thinking about looking elsewhere for my future PDA/Phone/Multimedia, one device does EVERTHING needs, because although I have a huge investment in Palm hardware and Palm (Access) software, it seems clear that the future looks stagnant and Palm considers the 700p/755p/680 to be the end of a great line of innovation and ingenuity (speaking only about the Palm/Access OS).

It’s a dam shame too, because even with all of the current faults of the 700p it still seems to be the best converged device available. But, if this is as good as it’s gonna get, and/or if Palm expects loyalists to continue to spend money for nothing new, then maybe someone else is interested in my business.

600-650-700p - Probably the end of the line for me
    come over here big guy, you need a hug...
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  8.    #8  
    I'll take that hug, 'cause I just wanna cry.

Even if there were no other upgrades, Stereo (and functional!!!!!) bluetooth would have made it a worthwhile upgrade for me.

I'm not bashing the phone for it's intended "New Treo Purchasers", but as a power user (with almost enough money to keep up with EVERY new model) I am disappointend that there was any money and resources spent bringing out this phone rather than bring out sooner what now seems to be the REAL upgrade later in the year (if it really happens that fast!)
    Since you have some disposable money, I can soup up my 700p for ya!!!
  10.    #10  
    Already done it........

Except for Stereo Bluetooth (And everything else I want that isn't yet available)

Cant blame me for Trying! Gotta raise some capital for the Linux Treo (Santa, you WONT exist if you dont bring me that!)
  12.    #12  
    No problem.....

Don't blame Santa, if Palm (can ya tell I feel a little bitter right now...) doesn't get it out in time (or it doesn't have the upgrades that we - the power users - actually want)
    Blazin' (and ain't talkin' 'bout a browser)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    No blame on Santa...just a painful cry to any and all forces that can bring me a great Palm product!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Get a life!
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    Get a life!
    Its hard for you to talk if youre posting just as I am on a Saturday afternoon!
    It should really be called the Treo 700pR1. Nice to lose the antenna, but having to drop back to a slow 2GB "miniSD" card and also lose battery life just to get functional bluetooth (and at what a cost!).

If I can get a free 1:1 replacement for my 700p I'd probably bite the bullet and accept one. But the fact it adds nothing much to the year old 700p which added only memory (and tons of lag) to 2004's Treo 650 ought to tell everyone about the state of Palm's ability to stay afloat.

It's basically exactly the phone Palm released 3 years ago, plus sufficient RAM and internal antenna, minus standard SD card and battery capacity. And the price is still ridiculous - are they living in a bubble?

I know we PalmOS devotees are blindly stupid too often and snarf up anything slightly better that Palm pukes up. But eventually we'll wake up to their game - and it's doubtful that WinceMob Treos will be many people's next phones given Palm's track record since they acquired the Treo from Handspring.

The 755 is just the 700p in a slicker suit, don't be fooled.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.