1. Lon
    Hi, I'm old, my cell phone is old and my Palm III is dying. I decided to buy a PDA phone to get both in one unit. I bought, online, a new, described as Cingular, Treo 650,"unbranding", thinking I could make it work. I tried using "Treo 650 Unlocking" it still won't work. I can't fix it. Anyone recommend a legitimate service that can/will make it work? Thanks, Lon
    Are you asking for an unlocking service so you can use the Treo on Cingular or do you need to try to use a Cingular branded Treo on another service?
  3. Lon
    Thanks for your reply,
    I now own the damn thing, cingular logo on the face, apparently "unbranding" or whatever that means, and can't use it. I have been a user of Cingular for several years. I now am without a contract, so leaving Cingular is no problem. The tech world is moving TOO FAST for me to keep up! I ADMIT IT!!

I am open to any suggestions that will allow me to use my Treo 650. All I ever wanted was a cell phone, which I use ~300 to 400 minutes per month and PDA in one unit. I ain't net surfing, nor text messaging, nothing but phoning, and tryiing to keep track of my personal info, schedule and phone numbers.

I only want ITto work, no mas, without throwing good money after bad. I will pay to make it work.
    Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Again, thank you for your very reply and consderation,

Lon
    Last edited by Lon; 05/17/2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: re-wording
    Hi Lon -

It sounds like you've got a few things going on - bear with me while I try to get it all clear in my head.

You bought a phone that was originally cingular but then "unbranded", correct? Unbranding usually means that the internals were modified to get rid of the cingular-specific software. No problem there. (The cingular logo will still be on the outside of the phone).

You tried using "650 unlocking". You're a cingular customer so unless you're going to use this out of the country or with a different network you don't need to unlock it. Still, though, no biggie. Unlocking shouldn't hurt it.

Was this an ebay purchase? I'd be curious to read the listing to clarify what exactly you have.

Anyway, since you are a cingular customer, regardless of whether or not the phone is unlocked, you SHOULD be able to insert your sim card and get the phone to connect to the cingular network. What happens when you insert your sim and turn the phone on?
  5. Lon
    Hi Lisaw,
    Thanks for the reply. You have most of the facts correct except; My 650 inards are apparently not "domestic Cingular" cuzz it don't work. IT will not identify a SIMM card, any SIMM card. The folks at 650unlock.com and after all attempts and efforts, failed was told "probably bad card reader inside phone". Seller 's first reply to my complaint was "phone was sold AS-IS, and described as without SIMM card-which means it is locked", then mumbly word about where to go for assistance, none of which helped. Lesson: eBay buyers are interpolate all seller descriptions. Sellers words were and are BARELY honest.
    Most recently Seller has told me to hold-on cuzz they are investigating with Cingular. While waiting I have tried Cingular customer service and was told my phone P/N number does not come-up on their register so I can't be helped.

I am without faith. Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks, Lon
    ouch. Can you give me the auction number? I'm curious.
  7. Lon
    Lisaw,
    Ebay item no 270114881683 Let me Know if this is adequate info for you to investigate. Lon
    looks pretty straightforward. There's no apparent reason why it shouldn't work. Feedback is ok, and there's no glaring red flags. Like I said before, since you're already a Cingular customer there's no need to even unlock it. I would take it down to your local cingular store and have them try a new simm in it.

Another thought - if there's nothing identifying cingular on the phone or in the software (like the splash logo when you turn on the phone), check the IMEI number on the box and be sure it matches the number on your phone. You can find that number inside the phone under your battery. If it doesn't match, that could explain why cingular can't find it - it might not be a cingular phone after all. Have the cingular person check that too.

Also, nowhere in that listing does it say the phone is AS IS. There is no return policy specified anywhere. I'd contest it with paypal or your credit card company if you don't get anywhere. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    It looks to me, from the auction's page, that you purchased a Treo 650 LOCKED to Cingular. I don't see anywhere on the auction that it states it's unlocked or unbranded.

You would have to have it unlocked to be able to leave Cingular and use it on a different carrier. Unfortunately, since you are not under contract with Cingular, they probably won't be very helpful with the unlock code. You will probably have to try using another unlocking service.

Have you tried taking it to a Cingular store and asking them to try a SIM card? Since you still are a customer, they would probably help you with that.
  10. Lon
    Yep, done it all. A friend works at Cingular store so that's the first thing I tried. I see you too believed this phone is not locked, however- an email from the seller says it IS. Lots of confusion,huh? Anyway I just want the damn thing to work, even if I have to pay more. During my investigations I learned it will not work even as a simple PDA without some sort of enterface with a service provider, so I now own a shiny glow in the dark thing, no mas.
    I still have faith someone will; direct me, Thanks, Lon
    No, I do think it is locked. It just said it didn't come with a sim - which no phone would. What did your friend say? Is it indeed a cingular branded phone, US compatible?
  12. Lon
    My friend and his partner tried many,many things and gave up. Thats when I began my investigations that got me here. Repeating myself- Cingular Customer Service inputed my S/N and IMEI no. and got no reply from their main computer system. Any more ideas, please?
    Lon
    nope. sorry - I tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I see you too believed this phone is not locked, however- an email from the seller says it IS. Lots of confusion,huh?
    No...I stated clearly that I think the Treo is LOCKED to the Cingular.

Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    It looks to me, from the auction's page, that you purchased a Treo 650 LOCKED to Cingular. I don't see anywhere on the auction that it states it's unlocked or unbranded.
  15. Lon
    I understand your point. Can you help me with my problem? I have tried all avenues I have learn of and still cannot unlock my new Treo 650; It ONLY says "check simm card". Since Cingular can't or won't help me, I am lost. Thanks for your concern and replies, Lon
    What service are you trying to use the Treo on? I thought you said you were with Cingular? Why won't they help you if you are already using their service?
  17. Lon
    Search me. All I know is what Cingular has told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    It ONLY says "check simm card".
    I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I noticed that it said "no camera." Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that one of the earlier Treo 650s that might have the SIM card tray problem?

I don't quite understand how it won't work unless you have a SIM card inserted, even in just strict PDA usage. Have you tried a hard reset?
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    everything on it should work except the phone app if you don't have a working simm...everything else should work just fine.