1.    #1  
    I'm a 650 user and have had it since the first week they were available. I like many, am disappointed with the lack of cutting edge technology in the 755P. After careful consideration though, I would like to have one. I can pass the 650 on to my wife and I have purchased many $ worth of software that should work well on the 755P. It was replaced about a year ago and is in pretty good shape.

My question is how do I get one for the $280 or so. I think I renewed my contract for two years about a year ago because of needing to add more shared minutes. I purchased the 650 in November of 04 but it was replaced under warranty in September of 05. When I look at available discounts it says I won't be eligible for the new in two 150 discount until September? When I look at my wifes discounts available she is eligible for the $150. I currently pay $10 for vision on my line and $5 for my wifes. I have two other lines for my parents but they don't have vision. I'm interested in still being able to rarely use the phone as a modem with PDANet when traveling. (maybe I have to use the wifes 650 for that) and using the IM. Currently I have only 100 text messages per month for no charge. Another piece of information that may help someone with my question is: We need to add a 5th line to our account and it would not be the end of the world if I or my wife had a different phone number.

I'd like to get one of these if I could for under $300. I've talked to Sprint on a couple of occasions and realize the deal you get depends on who you talk to. History tells me that my account will be screwed up for months after making any changes. Any suggestions on how to get a good deal from Sprint on the 755P in my particular situation?

Thanks in advance!

Current Plan
    1600 Shared Minutes
    4 lines
    Nights starting at 7:00
    PCS to PCS
    $10 ulimited vision
    100 text messages
    $5 unlimited vision
    100 text messages
    About $130 per month
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    I purchased the 650 in November of 04 but it was replaced under warranty in September of 05. When I look at available discounts it says I won't be eligible for the new in two 150 discount until September? When I look at my wifes discounts available she is eligible for the $150.
    This is the important part. You bought your 650 in 11/04, which means you should be eligible for $150 off for a new two year contract on 9/06. Any warranty or insurance replacements should not have changed this. You need to call or e-mail Sprint to have this resolved. Unless you activated a new phone (except warranty/insurance) since you originally got your 650, you should be good to go for $150 off the 755p. That may not bring it down to $280, but it's a start.
    Call retentions (*2 and then say "cancel"). They'll hook you up if you talk to the right person. You'll most likely be able to get it for $280 without trying to get your $150 discount and what-not. Just let them know you're a long-time subscriber and need the 755 for EV-DO or some other excuse like that.

People got Moto Qs for $99 from retentions with only a few months on a brand new contract. You should have no problem getting the 755 with your history. If at first you don't succeed, call back and hope for a nicer rep.
    If none of the above work you can uses your wife discount to get the phone and then switch lines. Or you can do like I did My wife liked my 700p and her phone was new so to get her a 700p I added a new line and the same night switched the numbers.
    Wait till probably 5/25, or maybe a bit longer if you are in an less-populated area.... Sign up for Sprint Total Protection... and just run over your phone, and bring it in to the store.... They don't stock 650s, and my stores have already confirmed they are liquidating their refurb 700p inventories as we speak... Shouldn't take to long till the warranty replacements are 755 :>
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu View Post
    Wait till probably 5/25, or maybe a bit longer if you are in an less-populated area.... Sign up for Sprint Total Protection... and just run over your phone, and bring it in to the store.... They don't stock 650s, and my stores have already confirmed they are liquidating their refurb 700p inventories as we speak... Shouldn't take to long till the warranty replacements are 755 :>
    Thanks, but if I did something like that I would probably total my new car and die in the freak accident. I believe "what goes around comes around", eventually. I despise insurnace companies but I could never steal from them. I'd rather do without a 755P or pay full price.
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    Thanks, but if I did something like that I would probably total my new car and die in the freak accident. I believe "what goes around comes around", eventually. I despise insurnace companies but I could never steal from them. I'd rather do without a 755P or pay full price.
    big thumbs up to this posting
    correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you only sign up for TEP within 30 days of getting your new phone?
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Another question on going from the 650 to the 755p-- as it's an EVDO phone and I currently have $10 vision, will they require me to change my data plan? My main concern is that I have grandfathered in free unlimited text messaging (anyone remember the shortmail days? ugh) and i would rather not pay $15 a month for internet AND another $15 for unlimited texts.
    All,
    Just wanted to post my experience c Sprint today regarding upgrading from 700p to 755. Basically I went armed c letters from Palm and Treocentral documenting all of the problems. Got no love initially. Store manager was still quoting the 549.99 price. After a somewhat heated discussion about all of the problems, lack of on time MR, etc, he claimed to have downloaded the MR "off the web"--but wouldn't say where in April. I called "BS" and left the store. I called retentions in the parking lot and made my case to them. They did not have a 755P to send me but did strike a pretty sweet deal. They would credit my account $75 for being only 1 yr into my 2 yr contract, plus the diff. down to 279.99 ($270!!), THEN an additional $75--if I signed a new 2yr contract. So I paid the Sprint store $549.99 (which included tax--I didn't argue that one....), and "should" be getting a HUGE credit on my account, making the "final" price $130!! I hadn't planned on "upgrading" until the MR came out, but I couldn't pass up that deal. Hopefully, the MR will "fix" things enough that I can then sell my 700P to bring the price down a bit more. So my advice, be polite but firm and bring some paperwork to document your claims then call retentions!!
    I will try to post latter today or tomorrow my thoughts on the phone itself. I do notice a slight improvement in the lag and bluetoothI need to get a mini-SD card to move everything over from my SD (another reason I wanted a good deal!).
    D
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    Another question on going from the 650 to the 755p-- as it's an EVDO phone and I currently have $10 vision, will they require me to change my data plan? My main concern is that I have grandfathered in free unlimited text messaging (anyone remember the shortmail days? ugh) and i would rather not pay $15 a month for internet AND another $15 for unlimited texts.
    Yes, you have to change your data plan. I got the 700p when it came out and was told at activation that it couldn't be activated on Vision. After a couple of weeks I was unimpressed with how little had changed from the 650, so I went back to it. But the break in my previous Vision plan (i.e. the upgrade to PV) meant that I lost my free unlimited text messages. After much arguing with Sprint, I managed to get my unlimited data plan back to $10. The best compromise they could muster for text messages was 300 "free" ($5.00/mo. charge, then $5.00/mo. service credit) messages a month. I would've complained, but reviewing my previous bills showed me using <20 messages per month.

You might want to see if you can campain for a better deal through Retentions. Just keep in mind that once you upgrade to PV, there's no going back to the terms of your current Vision plan.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you only sign up for TEP within 30 days of getting your new phone?
    Theoretically, if one has a spare unactivated phone, one can do an esn swap to that phone, esn swap back to the original and then activate TEP.

I've never attempted this, as I said, it's just a theory
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    i'm in a similar position.

i have a 600. i've been a sprint customer for about a zillion years, and have a great plan that is cheap and suits my needs - i've been told, this plan doesn't even exist anymore.

i am ready to upgrade, but like anyone else, not interesting in paying full price, nor changing my plan drastically (although, presumably, i should switch from regular vision to power vision to really be able to use the 755p like it's meant to be used).

i'm pretty sure i get the 150 bucks back if i do a two-year plan, but can i keep my current plan and still do this? plus, on the site, Sprint has a 100 dollar mail in rebate.

i think i can use both - if so, it brings the phone to just under 300 bucks. that's more than i'd like to pay, but still a palatable amount...
    Quote Originally Posted by Treesham View Post
    i'm in a similar position.

i have a 600. i've been a sprint customer for about a zillion years, and have a great plan that is cheap and suits my needs - i've been told, this plan doesn't even exist anymore.

i am ready to upgrade, but like anyone else, not interesting in paying full price, nor changing my plan drastically (although, presumably, i should switch from regular vision to power vision to really be able to use the 755p like it's meant to be used).

i'm pretty sure i get the 150 bucks back if i do a two-year plan, but can i keep my current plan and still do this? plus, on the site, Sprint has a 100 dollar mail in rebate.

i think i can use both - if so, it brings the phone to just under 300 bucks. that's more than i'd like to pay, but still a palatable amount...
    You'll have to upgrade to Power Vision when activating the 755p (Sprint will insist, true or not, that the 755p will not work on regular Vision), so you won't be able to keep your current plan. You'll lose any grandfathered perks that come with your current Vision service.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    And this type of thinking is why the TEP price keeps going up every year. Anyone else remember when it was a mere $2.00 to insure your phone?
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    You'll have to upgrade to Power Vision when activating the 755p (Sprint will insist, true or not, that the 755p will not work on regular Vision), so you won't be able to keep your current plan. You'll lose any grandfathered perks that come with your current Vision service.
    they wouldn't allow me to keep the "phone" part of my plan (such as minutes, etc etc), if i only want to upgrade the "data" part?
    Quote Originally Posted by slwatts View Post
    And this type of thinking is why the TEP price keeps going up every year. Anyone else remember when it was a mere $2.00 to insure your phone?
    Wasn't sayin it was the right thing to do... Just a comment. Although, I'm impressed... People who have been able to take care of your 650s/700s for several years is quite a feat in its own right. Living an active life these days and not wanting to have to put my phone in a protective box has made the TEP well worth my money. My last 700 met its demise via the corner of an above ground brick barbecue pit. That was the last time I put a Treo in my pocket without making sure it was SCREEN-IN.
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Wasn't sayin it was the right thing to do... Just a comment. Although, I'm impressed... People who have been able to take care of your 650s/700s for several years is quite a feat in its own right. Living an active life these days and not wanting to have to put my phone in a protective box has made the TEP well worth my money. My last 700 met its demise via the corner of an above ground brick barbecue pit. That was the last time I put a Treo in my pocket without making sure it was SCREEN-IN.
    I even got my 650 wet once upon a time and it stopped working. Pulled the battery out and stuck the 650 under a lamp for a day or 2 and it's been fine since then-- probably been almost a year since that happened. A few months back I thought it was history -- stylus would just fall out and the antenna came off. Got some new screws and a new stylus and it's just fine. It's just looking worn and I'd like an update-- hence the 755p. The 650 still works alight. No TEP, never had to have it replaced, etc.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Although, I'm impressed... People who have been able to take care of your 650s/700s for several years is quite a feat in its own right.
    It's not easy. I have had mine replaced once. I manage telecommunications for a group of 20 people and their Treo's. I have learned to always have a spare on hand. I have been through two of my spares in the last 2 weeks!