Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    And no one is commenting on the IM app or if there are any improvements besides push in VersaMail!
    Is the IM app as good as Verichat was?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Does PocketTunes still skip?
    <br>
    Quote Originally Posted by enynite View Post
    how'd you get yours antoine?
    My review is posted at Brighthand. I write for them.

And no one is commenting on the IM app or if there are any improvements besides push in VersaMail!
    NO improvements in VM compared to the 680. Compared to the 650/700p, none except the Excahnge Activesync updates that have been available from teh VM 3.5 upgrade.

I'll look into that this weekend. I'm having to dig out my mini-SD card since i never use it.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    4) Do 700p accessories like the Palm OEM cradle work with the 755p?
    Most won't unless they've been updated for the 680/750. There was some circuitry changes that were phased in to the connector. Some accessories had created battery drain issues. Most I believe were corrected though.

...and the IM app...? SMS or data or a hybrid?
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    PictureMail isnt a hardware or software issue as much as its a network issue.
    In the case of the Palm OS Treo's, I think it is a software issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    In the case of the Palm OS Treo's, I think it is a software issue.
    Sprint PCS phones all use the PictureMail (weblink) standard. Network issue!
    data.

Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    I usually try to do this with new devices and I can't believe I forgot with this one.

I'll have the 755p here for the next few days, probably at least until it's released generally. Ask a question, get an answer. I'll probably check this thread twice a day between now and, er, whenever the 755p is in the stores.

- Dieter
    Please check for any lag. even a little: I tried the MVC today and it seems slow.I do not think that it is ready for Prime Time yet. Wasn't reconizing a lot names I was throwing at it.
    Last edited by Gas Man; 05/13/2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Have you actually been able to sign into AIM or MSN? Do you get alerts while in another app? WHat happens when a phone call comes in?
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    what is there to answer? If you have a Treo 700p, cover up the antennae with your finger, download the new IM app once someone hacks it from the 755 & then subtract 20% from the battery. There ya have it - Treo 755
    Sprint PCS phones all use the PictureMail (weblink) standard. Network issue!
    When I had the Samsung a900 and the Sanyo 920 PowerVison phones, I would receive a notification of a new pic, and would just scroll down in the msg to view the pic -- no web link.
    I need to know if my most used apps work. Butler, Voice Dial, Phone Magic, and TMP. Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plank View Post
    I need to know if my most used apps work. Butler, Voice Dial, Phone Magic, and TMP. Thanks!!!
    Butler works, per the review i yesterday
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I read in a review that the 755p keeps the "athena" connector, which term I was unfamiliar with, but I got the impression that it's the power/data connectors at the bottom of the treos.

So, as a 650 and brief 700p user, I'm wondering if the chargers and the seidio retractable USB synch/charger cables will work with the 755p.

I saw a response earlier suggesting that the connector had some rewiring or something done to it, so that seems to suggest that the chargers/synch cables won't work, in spite of the review that mentioned the "athena" connector...

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    I read in a review that the 755p keeps the "athena" connector, which term I was unfamiliar with, but I got the impression that it's the power/data connectors at the bottom of the treos.

So, as a 650 and brief 700p user, I'm wondering if the chargers and the seidio retractable USB synch/charger cables will work with the 755p.

I saw a response earlier suggesting that the connector had some rewiring or something done to it, so that seems to suggest that the chargers/synch cables won't work, in spite of the review that mentioned the "athena" connector...

Thanks!
    Although I don't use the Seidio USB synch/charger cable you mention, all of my 700P accessories work with my 755P. This includes the car charger, Palm dock/charger, and 700P wall charger along with the 700P USB sync cable.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Does the actual duration of time for a call show in the call log or is there going to be the need of a shadowmite intervention?
    Quote Originally Posted by tireguy View Post
    Does the actual duration of time for a call show in the call log or is there going to be the need of a shadowmite intervention?
    The call log only records the time the call was made. The duration of the call shows up in a pop-up window when ending a call.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
  20.    #40  
    edit: thanks to the other folks who have answered questions in this thread too.

Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Can you tell us how the battery life is? If you can describe what your usage is like (time spent on the phone, on the web, e-mail, etc.) and how long the battery lasts. I'm especially curious coming from a 650 with a 1800 mah battery. I've heard how horrible the 680's battery life is, but its battery is only 1200 mah and there are some software issues as well.
    The battery is actually 1600 mah. The life is just slightly worse than the 700ps, as you'd expect. Gets me through the day with no issues.

How does the IM app work? Does it rely on data or SMS? Or does an SMS 'wake-up' the program and then uses data?
    I am fairly sure the IM is some sort of hybrid. It asks you to be sure you've got an unlimited sms plan when you first start it.

The IM app is actually fairly dissappointing. While in the app, there's a lag of about 5 seconds on either side of a message. Not the end of the world on a mobile phone, but annoying. When you exit the app, however, there's a *significant* delay when somebody sends you a message. Often around 5 minutes! There are a few possiblities:

1) It's actually data and the app pings sprint's server only rarely when you're not actively in it.
    2) Sprint's server isn't sending out the SMS ping very quickly - either because a)they haven't ramped it up fully yet or b) Sprint sucks at SMS.
    3) The 755 is really getting pinged right away but there's a huge lag.

Of the above, I *strongly* suspect it's 2b - it uses SMS when you're out of the app to alert you to new messages and Sprint can't seem to get their act together sending out the alert. Overall, I'm very dissappointed in the IM app;.

Quote Originally Posted by chcswa View Post
    Does the Bluetooth actually work, especially with the Plantronics Voyager 510? I have to get a new phone anyway, having lost my 700p, and am waiting to make a decision based on BT functionality. Only a couple of the reviews I've read thus far even mention having tried Bluetooth, and I'd love some real-world feedback.
    I don't have a voyager 510, but I've tested it with a jawbone and a sony somethingorother. both work as you'd expect - i.e. a little better than the 700p's reception and sound quality, but still just adequate.

Is VersaMail improved other than the push capability?
    Nope. that said, it's actually a better exchange server client than outlook mobile on either WM PPC or Smartphone edition. I'm going to miss it when its gone.

Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    1. Are pics still received as a web link, or do they "arrive" on the phone (similar to how other Power Vision phones handle PictureMail -- like true MMS)?

2. I know that email, calendar & contact info from Outlook can be 'pushed' to Treos -- what about Tasks? Notes?
    1) Still a web link. Still crappy sprint MMS

2) no tasks or notes.

Quote Originally Posted by PSM View Post
    I'm mostly concerned about browsing speed. I come from a Treo 650, so I don't know firsthand how much things improved with the 700. But I'm curious how fast the connection is, and more importantly how fast Blazer actually lets you get to the content. I do DUN on my Treo and I find it's basically akin to a good dial-up connection when on my computer, but on the Treo it seems to take forever, which I blame on Blazer. If you don't have experience with the Treo650, can you give me a reference point relative to dial-up, using sites not designed for mobile devices? Thanks!

Edit: Also, can you comment on the battery life when you've been web surfing for a while?
    2-3 times dialup, IMO. it's exactly the same as the 700p, meaning the download speed is much faster but request and rendering times are sometimes a little aggravating. As for battery life while browsing, it doesn't do anything crazy draining - I'd say anecdotally that browsing kills data about 2/3s as fast as talking. so 4.2 hours of talktime or 6 hours of browsing time.

Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    This is trivial, but, how does the NFL Mobile app look?
    Or Sprint TV?
    it's not all that great, but it's ok. basically you're going to get artifacts in the the video no matter what, but the evdo means you shouldn't have too much lag or stutter. basically it's mobile video - which I've always found to be 'meh' unless you encode and save it locally.

Is the speakerphone any good?

I have a 650, and no one can ever hear me when using my speaker phone.
    Speakerphone seems fine. it's the same as the 700p. meaning that volume on both ends is much improved over the 650.

also, I noticed in one of the review videos (can't rememebr from where) that there seemed to be a print button in the SMS thread list. Does the 755 have a print driver (hopefully its bluetooth)?
    the print button must want to go so some sprint picture mail service that isn't up right now.

Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    Is the IM app as good as Verichat was?
    It's much worse. But it exists and it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie View Post
    doesn't appear to skip as badly as the 700p, but I am able to cause a skip here or there listening to a 192k-encoded mp3 when switching into blazer. I'm still working on duplicating the lag issues on a 700p and the 755p. Any help on that front would be greatly appreciated.

I *think* it's hybrid, but I'm not 100% on that. if anybody knows of a "sms sniffer" app of the top of their head, I can figure it out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Please check for any lag. even a little: I tried the MVC today and it seems slow.I do not think that it is ready for Prime Time yet. Wasn't reconizing a lot names I was throwing at it.
    Working on the lag thing today. I actually have had *great* luck with MVC myself, my only gripe is that it's a little slow due to the need to connect to their servers.

Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    Have you actually been able to sign into AIM or MSN? Do you get alerts while in another app? WHat happens when a phone call comes in?
    You do get alerts in other apps, but as I said it's terminally slow for some reason. When a call comes in, hm. I'll test that today. that's a good question. My guess is that it won't work especially well, as it uses data for sure (and may be a hybrid), so it can't do both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post

Thanks!
    The connector is the same as the 650, 700p. So far as I'm able to tell there isn't any rewiring. I know Palm has promised to stick with the same connector for awhile now, and they should be applauded for that. Really, though, would anybody complain if the just switched to miniUSB?
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 05/14/2007 at 09:43 AM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast