Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My wife has the Treo 680 and unlimited text/mms with Tmobile.

Are there any palm based apps that can do AOL Instant messaging that uses text messaging (like a lot of built in phone apps already do, like the Tmo Dash for example has a built in messaging app that uses SMS instead of Data)....

I know this is the OPPOSITE of what people usually want, but
    I don't want to get her the 29.99 total internet plan since she only wants this for AIM reasons...
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi View Post
    My wife has the Treo 680 and unlimited text/mms with Tmobile.

Are there any palm based apps that can do AOL Instant messaging that uses text messaging (like a lot of built in phone apps already do, like the Tmo Dash for example has a built in messaging app that uses SMS instead of Data)....

I know this is the OPPOSITE of what people usually want, but
    I don't want to get her the 29.99 total internet plan since she only wants this for AIM reasons...
    I'm using the $5.99 T-Zones plan (now called T-Mobile Web, I think) with Mundu 4, with no problems whatsoever. You don't need the $29.99 plan. T-Zones gets you all the other internet and email access you need, as well.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    I'm using the $5.99 T-Zones plan (now called T-Mobile Web, I think) with Mundu 4, with no problems whatsoever. You don't need the $29.99 plan. T-Zones gets you all the other internet and email access you need, as well.
    Yea, she's got the 5.99 tmobile web and it DOES work for data based AIM applications...all ports open etc.

**HOWEVER** technically this is not supposed to work and Tmobile is supposedly in the process of closing this loophole.

I'm just preparing for when that day comes.
    Both Yahoo and AIM will do this if you set up teh mobile device settings on the dekstop for your phone number.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    T-Mobile has closed and opened the port several times. VeriChat worked through the port, because you could use proxy from Blazer.

Quickipedia and DA have proxy settings built into the programs... never need to worry about T-Mobile closeing it down. Im not sure about Mundu, anyone using proxy or tested it with any other IM programs for Palm OS? I need a new one now that VeriChat has been axed.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi View Post
    Causerie can.

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by roamer1 View Post
    Causerie can.

-SC
    Just looked at the info... looks promising... will have to check this out.

Thanks!!
    Download the trial version from the below link:

http://causerie.mantragroup.com/prod...m/download.php
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    that program wont work for me. wont get online and sits for 10 min trying to verify SMS before i reset it cuz i wanna use my Treo already...
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Folks, you dont need a program.
    For AOL, MSN, and Yahoo, download the programs to your desktop, under the program preferences there is a tab for Mobile. Insert your phone number, get an activation SMS and then boom, you get messages via SMS. With Yahoo can can even add people to your buddy list via SMS (of course you cannot see your buddy list so that kinda sucks).

Sure you can see your buddy list. Check out this link:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mes...ile/index.html
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I want AIM on my Treo, not some SMS solution that isn't a messenger. I use a Mac, so I dont use the AOL client, I use Adium X. I turn my Mac off when I go on trips, take my Treo and iBook with me, why would I want to leave my desktop Mac on to be able to access AIM on my Treo... I want full AIM.
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    I want AIM on my Treo, not some SMS solution that isn't a messenger. I use a Mac, so I dont use the AOL client, I use Adium X. I turn my Mac off when I go on trips, take my Treo and iBook with me, why would I want to leave my desktop Mac on to be able to access AIM on my Treo... I want full AIM.
    Have you tried toccer? It's free and works great!
    fishera, what you are asking for is different than what the topic posted asked for. There are plenty of apps like that. And I beleive that the AIM UK site still has the PalmOS AIM client still. If not, probably other Treo software download sites would.

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    actually the title suggests a Palm IM application that uses text messaging on there bill, not data. but ok. i am aware of this... except it is hard finding one that works with TMobileWeb, munduIM keeps crashing =[
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
  16.    #16  
    Well "that day" is here.... those on Tmobile using TmobileWeb @$5.99 have their ports closed down... so my wife's toccer isn't working.

See here:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1205073

and here for proof:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1204922

Will have to try causerie tonight and set it up w/the tmo proxy...

I still wish there was an app that uses SMS ONLY (not data) for IM'ing on the Palm Platform. I don't want my wife to have to figure out setting up how to sign on and off sending SMS's. I'd rather the App do it for her.
    I still wish there was an app that uses SMS ONLY (not data) for IM'ing on the Palm Platform. I don't want my wife to have to figure out setting up how to sign on and off sending SMS's. I'd rather the App do it for her.
    Let me only ask for the sake of this discussion why an application is needed if the Treo's SMS app will IM. Outside of showing who is online at a given time, I don't really understand why.

Steps to Use SMS Messaging without an additional app
    Download the IM program to desktop, or log into messenger.(whatever the IM).com
    Go to mobile settings or preferences (on AOL this is called IM forwarding)
    input phone number
    get SMS confirmation sent to device
    boom you are done

Its not that complex no, but yes, not very well documented either.

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    toccer supports ports for t-mobile proxy. don't use 8080, there are some posts on the toccer forums regarding what ports to use. it works however.

does anyone know the port for MunduIM? I keep trying to regular one and my Treo resets. huh.
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    and btw: there is a program for the Palm OS that uses txt messages. its from AT&T and is downloadable from there miniwebsite. but unfortunatly T-Mobile doesn't offer this for the Treo, like they do for the MDA, Dash, SDA, Pearl, etc.
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    and btw: there is a program for the Palm OS that uses txt messages. its from AT&T and is downloadable from there miniwebsite. but unfortunatly T-Mobile doesn't offer this for the Treo, like they do for the MDA, Dash, SDA, Pearl, etc.
    Intertesting... could I stick my Cingu... err AT&T work phone SIM in her treo and D/L the app, then use it w/her Tmo SIM after its installed? Her Treo is unbranded/unlocked.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast