Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My 680 keeps defaulting back to the T-Mobile Internet profile which does not connect or work.

I have an unlocked phone and T-Mobile Automatically downloads 3 network service profiles:

1. T-Mobile Internet
    2. T-Mobile VPN
    3. T-Zones

I have unlimited data and the problem is that the phone keeps defaulting back to the T-Mobile Internet profile which does not connect or work. It forces me to go into Preferences>>Network and reselect the VPN or the T-Zones choice.

I though it might be an alphabetical thing so I creates a profile called aGPRS so it appears first in the list... sure enough after a day or so the phone resets to choosing the non-working T-Mobile Internet profile.

I have also deleted the T-Mobile Internet Profile only to have in automatically reinstalled.

Any ideas???
    No solution has ever been found for this issue. Users who were absolutely annoyed by this error "fixed" it by switching to the internet plan.

I tried making a duplicate tzones connection and renaming it "a" (so it lands on top of the list) but it would still try to connect to T-Mobile Internet.

But yea, we either have to deal with it (and hope it gets fixed in a rom update, if ever) or switch plans...Which in my opinion, is not a good idea.
    Follow Me On

3.    #3  
    What plan would I switch to?... I have the unlimited data plan
    I posted a message about this somewhere, but can't seem to find it right now. The way I got T-Mobile to fix it was to say I was using a Treo 600 (which I pulled out of the closet just for this) and to explain to them that it wasn't working properly when connecting to GPRS. The Treo 600 would error out and then automatically reconnect with the VPN connection.

The person on the other end eventually -- after arguing with me that my device was not functioning properly -- changed the settings for my internet so that I was using the "T-Mobile Internet" settings instead of "T-Mobile VPN". Once he did that, I have had no problems.

I don't have a clue who's fault this is, and don't really care. It wouldn't make any difference if it is Palm's fault, they aren't going to fix it. So I am just glad I could get it working.

-Sim

NoisyGecko
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I read somewhere of a person who switched to a SIM card that supported multiple SIMS and that cleared it right up. Apparently he traveled abroad and preferred a SIM that handled US and European providers and purchased a card that somehow let you move both SIM information over. In so doing, it cleared up the annoying T-Mobile default issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I read somewhere of a person who switched to a SIM card that supported multiple SIMS and that cleared it right up. Apparently he traveled abroad and preferred a SIM that handled US and European providers and purchased a card that somehow let you move both SIM information over. In so doing, it cleared up the annoying T-Mobile default issue.
    I tried that solution using the same type of multiple-SIM card he used, and unfortunately, it didn't work for me!
    When I have had problems with internet service in the past, T-Mobile has switched me back and forth to "T-Mobile VPN" and "T-Mobile Internet". That always seems to fix things, but I have no idea what they are actually doing.

I don't know what "T-Mobile VPN" is, and they have never explained it. I don't think they really know.

I have never changed my SIM card since I started with T-Mobile years and years ago. I would guess that a fix due to changing SIM cards is because T-Mobile happened to reset certain settings on their end, not the SIM card change itself.

-Sim

NoisyGecko
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Quick explanation...
    Tzones - Wap based internet connection, mainly for phones with wap browsers, MMS and very light email use

T-Mobile Internet - Full data access for any phone/pda, and unlimited. however, you get an internal T-mobile ip address, like 10.10.1.10 and the APN does not support IPSec, so no VPN tunnels to your office.

T-Mobile VPN - Full support of laptops, pda and any GPRS enabled phone. With this, you get VPN support, and outside, routable ip address, and all ports open.

The settings for these services are built into your T-Mobile sim, and Palm uses a sim manager app to read them and program your Treo network settings. Unfortunately, the sim can't tell the Treo which plan(s) you have access to, so the default is T-Mobile Internet. Really, the defaukt should have been Tzones, since many folks have MMS and wap browsing without any other services.

I live with resetting the network settings by hand. I have access to T-Mobile VPN for internet access and Tzones for MMS and Wap.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Thanks for the explanation z3bum, that makes sense. Not that we can do anything about any of that.

Since I have never done anything over GPRS requiring the VPN setup, I guess I don't care which one I get. I suppose that if I were trying to use my laptop to connect through my phone to my office VPN I would need it, but I haven't ever tried that.

It is also interesting that the tech support people at T-Mobile didn't explain it other than "companies are usually put on the T-Mobile VPN service". And the fact that the internal access systems for the Internet accounts still call themselves Voicestream ("INTERNET3.VOICESTREAM.COM") doesn't make me think they have thought things out very well. http://blog.noisygecko.com/2006/08/p...sung-t509.html

There is also the problem that getting emails to SMS has some crazy random delay in it (sometimes up to 30 minutes or more). They keep referring to "corporate" customers, but are there really any T-Mobile corporate customers?

But, I digress and rant. I have things running pretty smoothly at the moment, so I am happy! :-)

-Sim

NoisyGecko
  10.    #10  
    The most annoying part is when you are in a hurry, go to check your POP mail and bang... picks T-Mobile Internet, gotta hit cancel and go to preferences... GRRRRR!!!!!!!
  11.    #11  
    We are on a business plan so I decided to email this thread to my T-Mobile salesperson. Here's his response.

"I just switched your rate plan to regular T-mobile internet and dropped
    the VPN. Give it about 15 minutes to reset."
    I'm trying to understand what your sales person did. He moved you to the most expensive internet plan from the 5.99 one? Or did he make it from a more expensive VPN plan and give you a cheaper $19.99 one?
    Also, did the sales rep change your plan without your consent?? If so, that is a big no-no. However the change was (most expensive package to lesser price...or cheaper to more expensive package), the csr is not allowed to touch your plan without your verbal consent.
    Follow Me On

With me, about a year ago the tech support changed my connection type from "T-Mobile Internet" to "T-Mobile VPN". My plan and rate wasn't changed at all. I didn't even realize there was a "VPN" rate until people started talking about it recently.

Then recently when I called in the tech support people changed me back to "T-Mobile Internet" as well. Still not affecting my plan or rate.

-Sim

NoisyGecko
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I use T-MobileWeb (TZones) $5.99 on my Treo 680. It works just fine.

I used to get that issue with the changing of internet settings until after a while, it just stopped switching it back.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    FYI: The Treo 650 did NOT have this issue.

After a soft reset, it remembered which one you had last. The 680 always defaults back to tmobile internet.

IMO Tmo vpn would be best since its a public IP address, although most apps wouldn't notice the difference.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    I'm trying to understand what your sales person did. He moved you to the most expensive internet plan from the 5.99 one? Or did he make it from a more expensive VPN plan and give you a cheaper $19.99 one?
    I had the VPN at $19.99 and now I have the Internet at $19.99
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Also, did the sales rep change your plan without your consent?? If so, that is a big no-no. However the change was (most expensive package to lesser price...or cheaper to more expensive package), the csr is not allowed to touch your plan without your verbal consent.

Of course not... I sent him the link to this thread and he took care of it. All works great now.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    I use T-MobileWeb (TZones) $5.99 on my Treo 680. It works just fine.

I used to get that issue with the changing of internet settings until after a while, it just stopped switching it back.

I heard that in some areas this will not work?
    I'm not sure of the root cause of the problem, but I fixed it using Reset Doctor. It contains a utility that either prevents the problem or fixes it (not sure which) after each reset. I haven't lost the network setting since I started using it. http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast