1.    #1  
    I tried to go from a 700p to another 700p (replacement) and I tried NVBackup to make an image of the original, and then restored that image to the new 700p.

Is this a safe way to transfer to another Treo of the same model? (I've heard if you did it with different models it could end up quite screwy.)

It seems to work fine, but I haven't activated the new phone yet, so it's possible there's some low-level stuff that's being restored that would be mismatched on the new 700p? For instance, the new phone's serial number (Sprint ESN) and phone numbers are different, but I don't know if this is imaged by NVBackup.
    Yes, backup methods like NV are safe and preferred
  3.    #3  
    I should also say that one of the reasons I was trying to use NVBackup to transfer from one Treo to another is because I heard that Hotsyncing doesn't always get all your information to the new Treo.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Please let us know if it work ok, Im about to order a replacement for my 700p and also use NVbackup

Thanks, migs
    If the devices are the same and you were experiencing no problems with the previous device, then restoring will not be a problem. However, starting new is still a preferred way if there was a problem with the previous device or you intend to install an installation monitoring application such as Uninstall Manager or DeStaller Pro. In addition, it also gives you the opportunity to ensure you are installing the latest updates.

Ben
    You should also try to control yourself and run the Treo stock for a day or two to rule out any hardware problems...
    This is the exact reason for NV Backup, restoring after a Hard Reset or new device. I did restore from a Hard Reset on my 700p from NV Backup worked perfectly.

I wouldn't worry especially if 700p to 700p.
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    You should also try to control yourself and run the Treo stock for a day or two to rule out any hardware problems...
    I once made it almost 12 hours before caving.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Please let us know if it work ok, Im about to order a replacement for my 700p and also use NVbackup

Thanks, migs
    It seems like no problem at all. To be safe, I first activated the new 700p with SprintPCS. Then I waited a couple of hours to make sure the phone worked to dial and receive phone calls. I also checked Phone Info... to make sure it was the same Sprint firmware... the two 700p's had same firmware. Then from the old 700p, I made an image onto an SD card. Popped the SD card to the new 700p, did a NVBackup Restore from that same image, and that's it!

For the first Hotsync with this new phone, I just set Custom... and anything I could I set to Handheld overwrites Desktop. Seemed to work fine.

Easiest transfer ever! I would only try this on same machine to same machine.

Anyways, this is anecdotal, so your mileage may vary. I didn't have time to do other experiments to see if any of the things I did were extraneous.

Hope this is helpful to someone!
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I used Resco Backup to upgrade from my Treo 650 to Treo 680. It seemed to work pretty well!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amagination View Post
    It seems like no problem at all. To be safe, I first activated the new 700p with SprintPCS. Then I waited a couple of hours to make sure the phone worked to dial and receive phone calls. I also checked Phone Info... to make sure it was the same Sprint firmware... the two 700p's had same firmware. Then from the old 700p, I made an image onto an SD card. Popped the SD card to the new 700p, did a NVBackup Restore from that same image, and that's it!

For the first Hotsync with this new phone, I just set Custom... and anything I could I set to Handheld overwrites Desktop. Seemed to work fine.

Easiest transfer ever! I would only try this on same machine to same machine.

Anyways, this is anecdotal, so your mileage may vary. I didn't have time to do other experiments to see if any of the things I did were extraneous.

Hope this is helpful to someone!
    Thanks so much for letting us know, I will try it myself soon.
    My old 650 firmware is 1.04 V, and the newest is 1.05 V. Can I use NVBackup or BackupBuddyVFS to restore to the replacement Treo? Is the firmware, Daylight Savings update, etc. also backupped and therefore restored over the replacement's software?

Richard
  13.    #13  
    Anyone think you could use NVBackup 1.18 to safely upgrade from 700p (make an NVBackup image) to 755p (restore the NVBackup image)? (Obviously, you'd have to do some kind of SD->miniSD transfer in between...)

I would like to do this because the pain and time involved in a clean install seems to take forever...
    It should work from 700p to 700p. I used it to backup before my MR upgrade and then restored form it and it worked beautiful...

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    This may be a stupid question, but when restoring from a backup using NVBackup after a crash and a hard reset - do you HotSync first or do you simply do a "restore" from NVBackup.

It seems like you could simply do a restore - search many differnt sites on this question but I can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks, Steve
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but when restoring from a backup using NVBackup after a crash and a hard reset - do you HotSync first or do you simply do a "restore" from NVBackup.

It seems like you could simply do a restore - search many differnt sites on this question but I can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks, Steve
    No need to do a hotsync. As soon as you press restore, the Treo will be reverted to the exact look and feel as you had when you created the backup. All programs previously installed will be there, your call log will be as of the time of the backup, etc. I know this is wrong to advise, but since I use NVBackup, I hotsync rarely (once a week, or so). This isn't wise, since a lost Treo will result in a lost SDCard and no backup files to restore.
    haroldo,

Thanks for the response - I actually HotSync at least once every few days so my Outlook Calender is synced to my phone, as I sometimes update my Outlook via PC or update by phone - mostly I update by PC - bigger keyboard! :-)

Thanks Again! Steve
    I would highly recommend NVBackup, is high quality software, it works and is free.

In addition to scheduled backups, I would encourage Treo users to get the habit of doing a full back-up BEFORE installing any new software - if the new app makes your phone unstable you can hard reset and then restore from SD with confidence.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I used BackupMan successfully after update (done by sprint store tech) fried my 750p and they sent me a new one.
    Bob