Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Some one has to know! Good Guy, spill the beans!
    The beta customers have been selected and they will be receiving the code very soon. I really am uncomfortable talking about what will be in the release as alot of things can change between now, through the beta and then release. What I can say is that there are improvements and feature enhancements across the entire interface. Attachment support is one key enhancment that I can mention, along with enhancments to how GMM handles contacts and calendaring. Outside of that, really can't say at this time. When I can, you can be sure I will.
  3. WDW
    Any idea if they will be testing it on multiple devices?
    Yes. The beta customers cover all of the devices we are currently on and all the platforms.
    Will it have multiple SIM support?
    what about supporting multiple calendars?
    Quote Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
    Will it have multiple SIM support?
    It would be really nice to see this feature in the next release of GMM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    not to be harsh- but multiple sim cards? How many people would use that? Right off the bat it's worthless to anyone on verizon or sprint- so it's got limited appeal.

I'd much rather they spend their time on features that almost everyone could use- like a spell checker for email, better contact handling to fix all the issues people have with contacts taking over the device, etc.

in a perfect world we'd all get everything we wanted but they do need to prioritize.

If adding support for multiple sim cards takes little time and effort then have at it, but if the choice is multiple cards or a spell checker- then I'm not so sure that's a priority.

just my 2cents. take it as you will.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    ...Attachment support is one key enhancment that I can mention, along with enhancments to how GMM handles contacts and calendaring. Outside of that, really can't say at this time. When I can, you can be sure I will.

Can you give us any more specifics about the improvements to contacts and calendering or do you need to keep generic about that for now?

I'd like better category support for edits in both calendars and public contacts. And I'd like more fields on the device that exist on exchange- the other day my wife asked me some one's birthday and I tried to pull it out of good- but no joy had to go dig out the laptop and fire it up to look it up in outlook/exchange.

I know earlier you talked in general terms that the amount of data synced was a compromise becasue some already complain good is too big (in regards to a comment about picture support in contacts)- but a way to allow the user to select how much or how little to sync over would be nice. I have a few hundred contacts and over 3500 public folder contacts and still have tons of room on my device- I'd love to be able to get more data downloaded as an option. I particularly dont get why public contacts cent suck donw more- since it's not resident on the device you might aw weel l allow alike everything to be availible.

one last suggestion- a menu option on the palm devices to hide the built in pim apps. You guys are already playing games replacing the contacts app but you don't quite finish the job. I used obfuscate to clear out my old palm stuff. I just like a clean ui. But I'm a small business owner (we just use hosted exchange/goodlink) and some of my employees are brain dead with technology- I keep having to steer them away from the built in apps. So I used obfuscate to hide theirs too- makes my life much easier with them. And others have commented that you are trying to keep things as clean and simple to the end user as possible- I think avoiding the explanation about how that IS a calendar but not the right calendar is a good place to go. it takes like 80bytes or somethign for obfuscate to create a hidden dummy of an app- as an option I think it would be great built in to good.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Was invited to a Good Road Map on Thursday and must say the new GMM 5.0 has TONS of new bells / whistles and improvements. I will say that developers have listened to many of us and seem to have implemented some.

In a nut shell here are a few I can mention from what I saw.

1 - You will now be able to use picture dial / voice command dialing. Good will have a tool that will push Good Contacts to Native Contacts on the fly. Would like to see and test this once its available.

2 - File attachments. It will now allow you to send attachments.

3 - RSS Feeds. You can now have RSS on both WM5 and POS devices.

4 - OTA or SD installations. Even thou 4.9.3 allowed SD installs it wasn't as integrated as one wanted.

5 - Calendar / Todo / Journal / Contacts has gotten a small make over with more options and better customization.

6 - Good Mobile Defense is now integrated. No longer an add-on.

I wish I can elaborate more but this is pretty much what I saw / remember from the sneak peek. Im a huge WM user and most of my questions were around WM enhancements. I did like that the now allow you to utilize Photo Dial and Voice dial. I hope this doesn't upset anyone reading but instead gives those current Good users more patience as whats coming seems to be very promising.

BTW - Good is implementing the use of multiple SIM's. I don't think it will be part of the GMM 5.0 release but as part of the GMM 5.x 2nd release.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by damigs View Post
    Was invited to a Good Road Map on Thursday and must say the new GMM 5.0 has TONS of new bells / whistles and improvements. I will say that developers have listened to many of us and seem to have implemented some.

In a nut shell here are a few I can mention from what I saw.

1 - You will now be able to use picture dial / voice command dialing. Good will have a tool that will push Good Contacts to Native Contacts on the fly. Would like to see and test this once its available.

2 - File attachments. It will now allow you to send attachments.

3 - RSS Feeds. You can now have RSS on both WM5 and POS devices.

4 - OTA or SD installations. Even thou 4.9.3 allowed SD installs it wasn't as integrated as one wanted.

5 - Calendar / Todo / Journal / Contacts has gotten a small make over with more options and better customization.

6 - Good Mobile Defense is now integrated. No longer an add-on.

I wish I can elaborate more but this is pretty much what I saw / remember from the sneak peek. Im a huge WM user and most of my questions were around WM enhancements. I did like that the now allow you to utilize Photo Dial and Voice dial. I hope this doesn't upset anyone reading but instead gives those current Good users more patience as whats coming seems to be very promising.

BTW - Good is implementing the use of multiple SIM's. I don't think it will be part of the GMM 5.0 release but as part of the GMM 5.x 2nd release.

Hey Damigs, any idea if there will be categories for calendar items? One of my pet peeves from the beginning is an inability to create different colored calendar events.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by supertramp2k View Post
    Hey Damigs, any idea if there will be categories for calendar items? One of my pet peeves from the beginning is an inability to create different colored calendar events.
    I'm really don't recall seeing calendar categories. I do know that it will be more customizable than what it currently is. If I get a chance to speak with our Good engineer rep. I will bring this up.

My company will be deploying beta version of GMM 5 in a matter of days. I'm very eager to put many of these features to the test.
  13.    #13  
    keep me updated! Thanks!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by damigs View Post
    My company will be deploying beta version of GMM 5 in a matter of days. I'm very eager to put many of these features to the test.

is there an NDA or are you permitted to share the fun with us?
    Hmm. Sounds like Good needs to talk to their users a bit more. RSS feed? Is this high on the list of the guy deployed in the field (my inner geek likes it, but it adds little value on the business side)? How about BASIC features missing from the current version, like a good search function? HTML email support, maybe? A READABLE single day calendar?
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Hmm. Sounds like Good needs to talk to their users a bit more. RSS feed? Is this high on the list of the guy deployed in the field (my inner geek likes it, but it adds little value on the business side)?
    Well to be fair I do think the RSS feed is valuable from both the business side and consumer. We plan to implement this feature and use it to send company news to users handhelds. Currently our end users only have access to this via the homepage from there desktop computers. So yes this feature is valuable and a plus.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I guess it might have value- but really I can think of probably 20 or maybe 50 improvements they could make to the core functions. Some trivial some more complex. But there's a pile of 'em in my mind and I've only used good a few week.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I agree with you 100% but at the same time this release will excite many and on the flip side keep others scratching there heads. I will say this that from what I saw at the road show version 5 has by far been the best "MAJOR" update (as Good puts it) in awhile. Its been long overdue!

I honestly cannot wait to test drive 5 and give everyone here more info. So far all we have gotten from the Good beta program is the server code not the client. Must say the Good console / admin has changed for the good.
    I can say that having been around since v3.9, this is by far, the most feature filled release. The RSS feeds notwithstanding (though it is a nice feature) there are some amazing features. I have only seen 5.0 briefly during a demo and on some of our SE's devices. Very, very good stuff. I haven't had a chance to actually play with it yet. I am sure damigs will be able to better provide some info when he gets the client:

Attachment support (finally)
    Enhanced inbox
    -sort by unread (finally)
    -enhanced sort by sender
    -sort by thread
    Enhanced Calendar
    -free/busy
    -conference rooms
    Enhanced Security
    -Integrated GMD
    Native Contact integration
    -3rd party apps that make calls to native contacts will work
    -Voicedial will work

These are only a few. I am sure there will be things people want that we didn't get to on this go round, but I am also confindent that the enhancements that we have added will impress.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    Native Contact integration
    -3rd party apps that make calls to native contacts will work
    -Voicedial will work

will native contacts be fully functional or just telephone dialing. For example on a palm treo will one be able to open the mms app and then look up phone numbers in there? And will people be able to open the native palm contacts app so you can hit the Google map button?

I'd love a spellchecker- but any chance they at least changed things so third party spell checkers at least work without having to cut and past from good into the spell checker? I don't even mind having to pay for a 3rd party spell checker but I'm lost without it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast