Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    We will probably not do that. The reason RIM does it is because they control the devices. You can have personal email on GMM enabled devices using the native email client on the device. RIM IS an email device, hence the mix of personal and business email.

As for Visto, they are more focused on OEM/Consumer than we are, so it makes sense for them to offer, though I fail to see the value.

V5, I think, will offer both OTA and SD upgrade.
    If anything, we are trying to restrict having users connect to other mailboxes.

To us, we treat the mobile devices just like laptops. Fully encrypt them, best practices in security.

If we let users connect to their other boxes, it would be an easy way to transfer information between their corporate email and the other email provider
    can someone pls tell me if the Notes App has been improved? Kay for me is COLORED notes, like in Outlook.
    Is Good close to releasing an actual date for 5.0? The Treo 750's came out in January. By February there was a multitude of documentation on how GMM ruined the features on the 750. 5 months later we don't even have a firm date on when GMM 5.0 might let our hostages go free. Cingular and Apple are launching the iPhone in half the time it takes Good to fix a few bugs and make enhancements that should have been in the software last year. What gives?
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Conekkted, long time no see. No, we do not have a firm date for release. End of 3rd quarter is what we have been saying all along and that is the latest.
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 06/14/2007 at 07:58 AM.
    OK. Thanks for the reply.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Has anyone tried to use Voice Signal's voice dial software with GMM v5 on the Treo 650?

I've been limping along with 4.9.3.21. Some days voice dialing works...other days I get the dreaded "Voice Dial requires at least 2 MB of dynamic memory" message. I have UDMH installed, but it doesn't appear to be helping me out. I'm hoping GMM v5 will be the answer.
    Oops, I just saw another post that v5 won't run on the Treo 650, so I guess that isn't going to help me.

I'm wondering if my mailbox fluctuating in size from day to day may explain why there's sometimes enough memory to run Voice Dial. Is there a way to limit the memory footprint used by GMM's database? It seems to be mirroring every folder in my mailbox. I'd be happy if it just mirrored my Inbox and Sent Items folders. Is there a way to configure this? When I go into the Email Delivery preference setting, it only shows Inbox and Sent. I can't figure out why every other folder in my Outlook mailbox is showing up in GMM then. Can somebody explain what the Email Delivery preference setting is supposed to do?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    If you move messages to a subfolder in Outlook after it hits your GMM inbox, the messages will show up in the corresponding subfolders on your handheld. You should notice that older mail in the subfolders is not on the handheld because GMM only deals with stuff moved after it hits the inbox.

The Email Delivery preference is useful is you have auto-forwarding rules that move mail BEFORE it hits your inbox. That way you can still get messages to the handheld OR you can trick GMM into displaying older mail in subfolders by moving stuff out of folder 1 to folder 2, then back from folder 2 to folder 1. If the Email Delivery preference is set to sync with folder 1, all the messages you moved to/from folder 2 would now be on the device in GMM.

Make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by craftyk View Post
    Oops, I just saw another post that v5 won't run on the Treo 650, so I guess that isn't going to help me.

I'm wondering if my mailbox fluctuating in size from day to day may explain why there's sometimes enough memory to run Voice Dial. Is there a way to limit the memory footprint used by GMM's database? It seems to be mirroring every folder in my mailbox. I'd be happy if it just mirrored my Inbox and Sent Items folders. Is there a way to configure this? When I go into the Email Delivery preference setting, it only shows Inbox and Sent. I can't figure out why every other folder in my Outlook mailbox is showing up in GMM then. Can somebody explain what the Email Delivery preference setting is supposed to do?
    Though this has been debated or some time, its understood that the footprint of GMM doesn't rise or fall. It supposed to be set to a fixed limit. Unfortunately there isn't a simple way of telling if that is true or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by ea0423 View Post
    If you move messages to a subfolder in Outlook after it hits your GMM inbox, the messages will show up in the corresponding subfolders on your handheld. You should notice that older mail in the subfolders is not on the handheld because GMM only deals with stuff moved after it hits the inbox.

The Email Delivery preference is useful is you have auto-forwarding rules that move mail BEFORE it hits your inbox. That way you can still get messages to the handheld OR you can trick GMM into displaying older mail in subfolders by moving stuff out of folder 1 to folder 2, then back from folder 2 to folder 1. If the Email Delivery preference is set to sync with folder 1, all the messages you moved to/from folder 2 would now be on the device in GMM.

Make sense?
    Makes sense, thanks for the explanation. Do you know if there's a way to configure the amount of memory that GMM allocates for the message store? If I can reduce the size, I'm hoping that the voice dial software will work more reliably (i.e. not give the memory error message).
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    To my knowledge there is no way to limit or allocate the memory GMM uses. I have been told that GMM uses a theoretical maximum size on the device at the time of installation and messages are adjusted based on that maximum size (xx thousand of email, xx thousand of contacts, xx months of calendar data, etc). I have requested (as I expect almost anyone dealing with GMM) to allow manual control of the sizes to improve handheld performance. I was added to the list for future enhancements...

Currently the best way to use other 3rd party software that needs memory is to exit GMM. Of course if your voice dial program tries to use the GMM contacts, all bets are off...
    did i read the version 5 press release correctly? it FINALLY supports attachments now???
    Quote Originally Posted by islandsnow View Post
    did i read the version 5 press release correctly? it FINALLY supports attachments now???
    Yep it does!!!

As to footprint, I have been told that it is a static file size regardless how many messages, meetings or contacts you have. If ones Inbox is 900 msgs, initial install will only grab the top 100. If you "fetch" the other 800, they will compressed to only the headers - pretty smart design. The dynamic memory is another thing and big apps like TomTom, Good Messaging etc dont do well on the 650 and even on 700\755 may still have issues.
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    Good Guy,
    My IT folks are saying the "white paper" on Good MM 5.0 says footprint is in the 15 MB range or higher. Is this true? Because of the footprint issue, they are considering going to OneBridge. Ut oh. I need to know so I can convince the IT folks to keep GMM. The improvements since last summer have been wonderful, and I have had few problems on my 700p. The support folks were just great in getting the problems with notifications fixed last fall in a timely manner.
    Is there a link to the "white paper?"
    Jon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123