Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    will native contacts be fully functional or just telephone dialing. For example on a palm treo will one be able to open the mms app and then look up phone numbers in there? .
    Man, its awesome. I have to determine whether its only 1 way (Good contacts to native) and and how it behaves on different platforms. But on WM 2005 smartphone, all the personal contacts in my contacts folder were automatically synced to the native WM contacts.

Will try it out on Palm tomorrow (however on a non MR applied 700p).

Man, its gonna be an exciting time this fall.

The GMD integration is extremely welcome (if you have deployed GMD, you know what PITA it is).
    It is my understanding that with this release, it will be one-way from Good to native and will be fully functional.

Lexspell works with GMM on the Palm OS and doesn't require cut and paste. Don't know of one for WM
    So ver. 5.0 for both Palm and WM are out? Also will the user need to re-input the PIN number or will it just be a straight upgrade? But from reading the post, I can't wait until it's out.
    Quote Originally Posted by damigs View Post
    Well to be fair I do think the RSS feed is valuable from both the business side and consumer. We plan to implement this feature and use it to send company news to users handhelds. Currently our end users only have access to this via the homepage from there desktop computers. So yes this feature is valuable and a plus.

Oh, dont get me wrong-- I could certainly see value in this feature for some, but I just hope that this wasnt a feature-for-features-sake sort of thing. Many companies will use this feature just because they CAN, not really filling a need. I sure hope that some of the basic usability fixes (again, an actual search tool would be good, though I suspect that we'll have to settle for a clunky workaround with the info ported to the native app and the built-in palm search) were a higher priority then lower value stuff like the RSS feed...
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmoguy View Post
    So ver. 5.0 for both Palm and WM are out? Also will the user need to re-input the PIN number or will it just be a straight upgrade? But from reading the post, I can't wait until it's out.
    I think eventually, the path will be for it to be an inplace upgrade. but for now, i'm doing hard resets on all the devices.

And obviously you are only able to get 5.0 if you were invited to the beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2714 View Post
    Oh, dont get me wrong-- I could certainly see value in this feature for some, but I just hope that this wasnt a feature-for-features-sake sort of thing. Many companies will use this feature just because they CAN, not really filling a need. I sure hope that some of the basic usability fixes (again, an actual search tool would be good, though I suspect that we'll have to settle for a clunky workaround with the info ported to the native app and the built-in palm search) were a higher priority then lower value stuff like the RSS feed...
    When I 1st read that, I wasn't sure either. the RSS feature seemed a bit consumer driven and considering the contested memory footprint of GMM, this should be removed.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    It is my understanding that with this release, it will be one-way from Good to native and will be fully functional.

Lexspell works with GMM on the Palm OS and doesn't require cut and paste. Don't know of one for WM
    even one way is great- the built in palm messaging app and the google mapps integration will work and that's what I'm looking for.

thanks for the suggestion on lexspell- I actually bought lexspell right after getting good so I'm aware of that- it's what i use.

But lexspell just cuts and pastes- it happens to automate it but it literally cuts and pastes (for those unaware - you literally can watch it activate the good menu and select cut and then flip to the lexspell program and do it's thing and then go back to good and activate the menu and paste) It's kludgey and you also are limited to the writing emails that are small enough to fit in the palm os clipboard.

I used quickspell on a treo for maybe 4 years- basically quickspell works just like spell check in a word processor. It underlines typo's as you go so you can correct your mistakes right away. And if you still need to run spell check it just overlays a window on top of the screen just like a word processor.

Apparently there's something that good does that interferes with how the quickspell type programs work. I checked with quickspell and they basically said good (the company) refuses to deal with them so they can't make a version that will work.

Once simple alternative that I dont understand why it isn't done yet is just the ability to sync the draft folder. Then at least you could write your big emails in good and then get back to outlook to spell check and send.
    well, for some reason the good to native synchronization for Palm doesn't work. Don't know if this is by design or won't be included. Waiting to hear back.

As far as everything else, things are running well.
    The drafts folder doesn't sync because the drafts folder in Outlook is client side, not server side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthkim View Post
    well, for some reason the good to native synchronization for Palm doesn't work. Don't know if this is by design or won't be included. Waiting to hear back.

As far as everything else, things are running well.
    Hence the beta

Hey, Darth, it is my understanding that the contact sync is an option that can be controlled in the GMC. Have you guys turned it on? Just checking. Also, let me see if I can find anything out.
    You know, i've beta test probably hundreds of apps, and the 5.0 beta looks extremely polished.

Yes, we did turn the sync on (thats how i was able to verify it for WM).

The GMD integration looks great and I'm waiting for more phones to come in so i can test it.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    The drafts folder doesn't sync because the drafts folder in Outlook is client side, not server side.
    maybe in older versions of exchange (or if some of the settings aren't enabled) but mine sure is server side. Or at least it appears to be on my exchange server.

To testy I just typed a draft in outlook. Then went to my outlook web access and it was there in the web draft folder. Then to check the opposite I created a draft in web access and it popped up on my laptop in outlook.

Wouldn't that indicate it's getting synced up to the server?

So my outlook on my laptop and the web folder are in some sort of sync. And I also seem to be able to get at the drafts folder via IMAP (it's been a while since I used imap so I'm not sure). Also- I only used the POS versamail for about a week before I came running to good- but I seem to recall that would sync the draft folder (sorry no chance in hell i reinstall that garbage to test- LOL).

So why can't goods server hook into it also?

If it's impossible for some reason- then maybe give people an option to sync the devices draft folder back to some other folder in exchange- maybe a new 'root' folder called "GMM drafts" or something?

It seems pretty basic to me to get the drafts off the device and onto the server someone- little effort for the engineers with great upside for the user.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    You know, i've beta test probably hundreds of apps, and the 5.0 beta looks extremely polished.....
    that's great to hear!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I have hosted service so I really had no idea what GMD was so I went poking around and it looks neet (at least if my people loose the phone- it looks like I can have the phone locked down or erased?)

Do the hosted providers get the same "gmc" as regular companies? I'm wondering if my provider will give me some of those options if I ever need it.
    I think eventually, the path will be for it to be an inplace upgrade. but for now, i'm doing hard resets on all the devices.

And obviously you are only able to get 5.0 if you were invited to the beta.
    thanks Darthkim
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    anyone confirm if calendar items come with categories in the beta?
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    anyone confirm if calendar items come with categories in the beta?
    PLEASSSSSSEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry! I don't see it.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    boo

hiss

:-)
    I'm a Nokia E61i user with Good (4.9.3) and one feature I'd like to see (that both RIM and Visto have) is the ability to have multiple accounts, or at least change the "send from" header. I use Good on my personal email server but want to use with my corporate one but don't want my personal email address to appear on the Sender address - RIM and Visto allow you to get around it.

When I mentioned this to Good, they did not imediately see the benefit.

RIM has for a long time allowed the mix of corporate and personal accounts - so it's about time Good also allowed this feature.

Do people agree with me?

Look forward to V5 - any idea on the public release via OTA or SD card?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast