1.    #1  
    My VZW T650 broke today. I am entitled to the new every two upgrade. I have the insurance so I can pay $50 for a refurb T650 or pay $300 for a new 700P. If I just refurb, I'll be waiting for the 755 or some future mythical golden treo. I won't switch from VZW (I have had all the carriers except tmobile) and I won't switch to Windows mobile until WM6 (or 10. . . whichever one is as easy to use for phone calls as Palm). I need a phone now, so do I get the refurb T650 or spend $250 more for the new 700? I have spent 3 hours today searching the forums and I hear lots of concerns with the 700 and 755 (which VZW doesn't have yet). Other than the faster EVDO and the extra RAM (both of which I could really use) there seems to be no compelling advantage to the 700p but nothing was really clear. Can anyone give me some advice on this? I don't want to wait a few weeks to decide since I am without a smartphone until I do. THanks,

Dave
    Hey Dave. Most people can do fine with the 650. It's us power user & techno geekers that notice a difference. I think you'd be fine to stick with 650 for now. Then when the 755 comes out for you, it would be a more significant upgrade. Good luck!
    The 700 is really a good device that will get better later this month with an update. If you have evdo in your area, get the 700. Even if you don't, I would still get the 700.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I like my 700 vs the 650. As mentioned above if you have evdo in your area go for the 700. I never used the internet on my 650 because it was to slow. Having the internet on my 700 has really brought the fun factor back to my treo.

If you want a new form factor as well as evdo, go with the 755.

Good luck with your choice.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
  5.    #5  
    [QUOTE=LennyV;1254769]
    QUOTE]

I have EVDO in my home market and almost everywhere I travel so that is a big draw. What do you mean about a new form factor? What is that and how is it better?

Also, do we have an idea when VZW will have the 755? If it is a long time, then I need to decide for now on the 650 or 700.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Hey Dave,

There's a fair amount of change on the horizon. A maintenance release (MR) for the 700p is just a few weeks away (hopefully it'll help some of the issues the 700 is plagued with) and the next generation is coming in the not too distant future as well.

IMHO, as long as you can live with the slower data speeds for a little while longer, I'd take the 'belt and suspenders' approach - Get the refurbed 650 now for $50, and then jump on your next model in a few weeks/months when the dust settles on the 700 MR / 755 rollout. You'll still be eligible for the 'New Every Two' pricing on that new Treo and once the 755 comes out, prices on the 700p will begin to drop, which could offset the $50 you spent now.

And at the very least, I'd say it's in your best interest to at least wait and see how the MR helps the 700p - to be honest I'd hate to see you spend big money on the 700p now unless the MR works a little magic.

Hope that helps,

rotello
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=dheymann;1254779]
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
    QUOTE]

I have EVDO in my home market and almost everywhere I travel so that is a big draw. What do you mean about a new form factor? What is that and how is it better?
    The 755 is like the 680 form factor. No antenna, slightly smaller and 2 color choices.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rotello View Post
    Hey Dave,
    IMHO, as long as you can live with the slower data speeds for a little while longer, I'd take the 'belt and suspenders' approach - Get the refurbed 650 now for $50, and then jump on your next model in a few weeks/months when the dust settles on the 700 MR / 755 rollout. You'll still be eligible for the 'New Every Two' pricing on that new Treo and once the 755 comes out, prices on the 700p will begin to drop, which could offset the $50 you spent now.rotello
    I felt Rotello's advice was the best for me. Thanks to everyone for your help. I have ordered the insurance replacment and i will wait 1-12 months to decide if I want to upgrade. Thanks again.