1.    #1  
    I swapped SIMs to solve the gibberish problem and an hour or two later my phone stopped saying "cingular" and started saying "AT&T." I know it said "cingular" right after the swap.

I was just wondering if everyone's 680 did that, or was it related to the SIM swap, or are they migrating everyone to AT&T?
    I think some have and some haven't...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=141573
    Mine did it one day at work w/o a warning. I looked down at my phone...and saw the dreaded "gibberish" replacing the usual Cingular alpha-tag...and after I panicked and did a feverish soft-reset, the AT&T logo had replaced the Cingular one. I almost had a heart attack...
    Crimson Treo 680 (given up for adoption)
    BlackBerry 9000 Bold - Main
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    Mine just switched over about 10 minutes ago, after doing a soft reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by skintigh View Post
    I swapped SIMs to solve the gibberish problem and an hour or two later my phone stopped saying "cingular" and started saying "AT&T." I know it said "cingular" right after the swap.

I was just wondering if everyone's 680 did that, or was it related to the SIM swap, or are they migrating everyone to AT&T?
    I don't think it's a SIM thing.. I have an unbranded 680 with the new cingy SIM and I have no logo.. it must be in the device itself (along with the gibberish I guess).
    i have an unbranded 680 with a cingular sim, and mine still says cingular
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    With one of my old SIMS the Cingular branded Treo displays Cingular with one of my new SIMs the Treo displays AT&T. So in my area I would say it was SIM related.
    The alpha tag in the sim is being updated. Cingular SIMs override all carrier alpha tags (in the event you're on a partner network) and they're sending out ovr the air updates to everyone. When you modify your service or get a new SIM, this change is pushed to the SIM rather than it it happening over the slow rollout.

If you go into your account online at cingular.com and "suspend" service as lost or stolen, then resume service, it'll get the update.