Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a question about the IM Application. I read somewhere before that Sprint is going to charge 15 cents a message.

I have a question though... does anyone know if this IM Application is gonna use text messages? Because if so, tight. I have unlimited texting so I really don't mind. But if Sprint plans on charging 15 cents a message, texting plan or not, that is whack. I really like the idea of a built in IM Application, so hopefully Sprint won't let me down.

- Justin
    Upon launching the IM application you get a message that says:
    "We recommend adding a messaging and Data plan to your account if you do not already have one. Otherwise casual usage reates of .03 per kilobyte for data and .15 per message will apply."
    Jimmie Geddes
  3.    #3  
    So I assume that answers my question then... that if I have unlimited data/texting I will be fine?

And how does it compare to an IM client like VeriChat?
    actually - i wouldm be great if some one could do a Verichat compairions to the new IM. Maybe even throw in Chatter. Sounds like a Treonauts Special.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I wonder if it's just a link that the phone goes to to download the app. If that's the case, what would stop us from going to that link from our phones?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    i bet this app will be very barebones. Look it already doe NOT have msn messenger. Did you see the screen shot? it looks horrible. the battery life will already be limited & with a data only connection it will be worse.
    ummm... windows messenger is right there, top right. They don't call it MSN Messenger anymore but Windows Live Messenger or whatever it is.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    i bet this app will be very barebones. Look it already doe NOT have msn messenger. Did you see the screen shot? it looks horrible. the battery life will already be limited & with a data only connection it will be worse.

man ... ur unusally negative today ..... can't imagin why ......
    da Gimp

So does this uses a backend server at Palm or Sprint? I wish it were a direct connection without 3rd party server... *sigh*

In any case I already have Mundu which works fine for me...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Mundu :

I did not like Mundu at all. it was the first one I tried after Verichat (about 6 months ago) and i was disappoint in it's functions - great look, bad functions. I also had connections problems.
    da Gimp

iam unusually negative today becuz today is when I heard what the 755 will actually consist of. I will cool off though for now. some people may call protestors of wars & injustices negative or even strikers BUT I see it as more of call to action. or maybe I need 2 git l8d :-O. I did not know they changed msn messenger to windows...
    It will really bother me if the IM app uses SMS. I loved how VeriChat gave the option to use data or SMS, so you could use whatever best fit your plan. I currently have unlimited SMS, but that will change when I jump to a SERO plan, so I'm not looking forward to having to pay for SMS.
    I dont know where I heard it or if it was even said, but they said that the SMS would 'wake up' the program and then it would use the data...kinda like a SMS with a trigger in it so it would only use one text to awake the program after a pre-set idle time has elapsed. But I cant verify it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I dont know where I heard it or if it was even said, but they said that the SMS would 'wake up' the program and then it would use the data...kinda like a SMS with a trigger in it so it would only use one text to awake the program after a pre-set idle time has elapsed. But I cant verify it.
    If that's true, it's not too bad, but I'd still rather use 100% data. There are plenty of times I'm in a conversation, switch apps, then get another message. So you could end up blowing through several SMS's over the course of one conversation. I miss VeriChat.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    If that's true, it's not too bad, but I'd still rather use 100% data. There are plenty of times I'm in a conversation, switch apps, then get another message. So you could end up blowing through several SMS's over the course of one conversation. I miss VeriChat.
    Wouldnt that kill your battery? Toccer does that. No thanks...I have unlimited SMS's, so I guess we have different constraints.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    If that is infact true, then that's flippin sweet!
    The video review i watched ( <a href="http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/05/10599/"> here </a> ) said it was just a link to download the messenger.

However I can't seem to pin it down -- anyone found it?
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    uh, http://www.sprint.com/powerim for the application, runs on my 650 but always get an error when I try to connect.

It was originally hidden (after download), so unset that attribute. Of note, when I tried to download it again (thinking it wasn't downloaded) it gave an interesting message "you already have an im program installed, do you want to replace it". that was different than the normal overwriting message.
    I'm wondering if the IM app will be part of the MR? I guess we will find out in a couple of weeks, assuming it comes out the week of the 18th.
    that link isn't working for me -- care to email me the prc?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast