Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can't decide which company's innovation is more amusing: Palm's new Treo 755 or Microsoft's new "oPhone" they announced at last week's MIX.

saw a guy using a coffee can as a toilet -THAT is more innovating than ANYTHING Palm is doing.
    Version 1.0 or 2.0?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    there was nothing inovative here ---- the more i read these formums , the more i think "Are we asking to much? How do other phone company's inovate ?" MAybe aplm is more like Nokia/motorla and we just don'tr realize it ...

Food for thought
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    there was nothing inovative here ---- the more i read these formums , the more i think "Are we asking to much? How do other phone company's inovate ?" MAybe aplm is more like Nokia/motorla and we just don'tr realize it ...

Food for thought
    We do have a high expectation like we do of Apple for innovative products. With Palm focusing on lowering the price, I would indeed say that they are becoming more like the 'bottom-line' company and not the 'top of the industry' company we have grown to love!
    well I see what you mean but where the problem is for me that Treos are far behind the motorola Q, Blackjack even Blackberry now. No wifi, no flash for camera, same 1.3 camera (many basic cell phones offer 2.0, 3.0 & even now 5.0 MP), same form factor for 3 years now, same ugly UI, no voice dial, same 1999 ringtones, cannot access any of the cool ringtone downloads or GPS as many basic cell phones out there. Hell forget innovation, I'd be happy if they kept their phones on par with the cell industry as a whole!
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    well I see what you mean but where the problem is for me that Treos are far behind the motorola Q, Blackjack even Blackberry now. No wifi, no flash for camera, same 1.3 camera (many basic cell phones offer 2.0, 3.0 & even now 5.0 MP), same form factor for 3 years now, same ugly UI, no voice dial, same 1999 ringtones, cannot access any of the cool ringtone downloads or GPS as many basic cell phones out there. Hell forget innovation, I'd be happy if they kept their phones on par with the cell industry as a whole!
    so true .....
    da Gimp

Definitely true! There is a desire for more from our devices. I would love to have a freakin flash for my camera, wifi, and a stable music player (amongst other things). But Those devices still lack some features of out Treo... But I do believe our $650 devices should do more than just keep up with those $350 devices!
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Definitely true! There is a desire for more from our devices. I would love to have a freakin flash for my camera, wifi, and a stable music player (amongst other things). But Those devices still lack some features of out Treo... But I do believe our $650 devices should do more than just keep up with those $350 devices!
    When you put the prices out there is sounds even worse
    da Gimp

I think the strategy here is not necessarily innovating, but rather making the product more refined and targeting the consumer segment more, kind of like Palm's strategy with the 680 back when it first launched.
    sure but how about fixing the current devices before releasing & promoting new ones? How about not ignoring the current users?
    sure but how about fixing the current devices before releasing & promoting new ones? How about not ignoring the current users?
    exactly ...

these aren't $100 phones... these are very expensive high end products which demand special attention to costumer needs.
    da Gimp

Ididn't know treos were so important to costumers. you mean halloween or the kind in the theater?
    Treoneo I’m 100% with you on this one. This new phone is a joke. I'm going with windows mobile on my next upgrade that’s coming very soon since Palm OS is just not worth having no Wi-Fi (an unnecessary cost), a ****ty camera & a mini brick in my pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    Treoneo Iím 100% with you on this one. This new phone is a joke. I'm going with windows mobile on my next upgrade thatís coming very soon since Palm OS is just not worth having no Wi-Fi (an unnecessary cost), a ****ty camera & a mini brick in my pocket.
    Get a WinMo 6 device and run a Palm emulator on it!
    Ididn't know treos were so important to costumers. you mean halloween or the kind in the theater?
    See below
    da Gimp

The thing about Palm Os has always been the built-in ability to hack the crap out of it, and to add a ton of apps. That is still the reason that I've stuck with them. Sure, out of the box they are behind with no flash for the camera. With EV-DO, who cares about wi-fi, and the bluetooth and lag issues suck. Hopefully the MR will fix up the 700 (which I predict it will...the 650 had all kinds of issues, and Palm fixed them up after a lot of *****ing from consumers) But the number of apps and customization options are still far ahead of 90% of the phones on the market today.

I'm excited to see what Hawkins has in store for October. We'll know more in his keynote at the end of this month.
    Seeing how the Treo became my only Palm option, I've since longed for the never released i550. Would've been a nice step above the i500, and I bet many would've gladly held onto it till this linux version came out to really be the next worthwhile innovation. I've watched all the Treos come and go. Always thought the 755p should've been the 700p. I think they rushed out the 700p because of EVDO. I think the 650 to the 755p to the Linux version would've been the more appropriate pathway. I'm sure they could've rolled out the 755p within a few months of the 700p if they weren't focused on the 700p in the first place.

With Samsung out of the game and LG not doing anything with their tech, there is no palm competition. Smartphones really weren't much competition until the introduction of the Q and now the Dash and Blackjack. Pretty easy to learn from Palm and actually improve upon the design since they were starting from scratch. I truly don't understand the whole iphone phenom.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I truly don't understand the whole iphone phenom.
    The whole "iPhone phenom" is based on the fact that the world's most sophisticated desktop OS is now available in a phone. Every single competitor is shaking in their boots because they secretly know (secretly as in won't publically admit it because it would be suicide) that this is what will be required in 1-2 years time and they are in no position to offer such capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    The whole "iPhone phenom" is based on the fact that the world's most sophisticated desktop OS is now available in a phone. Every single competitor is shaking in their boots because they secretly know (secretly as in won't publically admit it because it would be suicide) that this is what will be required in 1-2 years time and they are in no position to offer such capabilities.
    Points and laughs. The phone is defined by what it cant do, not what it can.

Cant use 3G networks
    cant use java or flash
    cant buy tracks directly from the device
    cant add any app you want
    cant answer the phone with hardware keys
    cant dial with gloves on
    cant use itunes music as ring tones.
    cant use the phone as a modem
    cant read office documents.
    cant sync with exchange.
    cant buy it without contract.
    cant get a subsidy

cant cant cant.

But simple-minded Applelistos like taking it like that...

Surur
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast