Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    The thing about Palm Os has always been the built-in ability to hack the crap out of it, and to add a ton of apps. That is still the reason that I've stuck with them. Sure, out of the box they are behind with no flash for the camera. With EV-DO, who cares about wi-fi, and the bluetooth and lag issues suck. Hopefully the MR will fix up the 700 (which I predict it will...the 650 had all kinds of issues, and Palm fixed them up after a lot of *****ing from consumers) But the number of apps and customization options are still far ahead of 90% of the phones on the market today.

I'm excited to see what Hawkins has in store for October. We'll know more in his keynote at the end of this month.
    Ugh -- October. Let's get through summer first!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    How does the old commercial go ....

"Fill it to the brim?"
    No, it's: "Fill it to the rim -- with Brim."
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Aren't most PDAs sold now running WM?
    Not in the US if this is anything to go by:

Category: PDA

Rank Brand Unit Share
    1 Palm 72.7%
    2 Hewlett Packard 12.9%
    3 Sony 2.7%
    4 Pharos 0.6%
    5 Garmin 0.1%

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aZ10DCwhy1Xo
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Not in the US if this is anything to go by:

Category: PDA

Rank Brand Unit Share
    1 Palm 72.7%
    2 Hewlett Packard 12.9%
    3 Sony 2.7%
    4 Pharos 0.6%
    5 Garmin 0.1%

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aZ10DCwhy1Xo
    If you think about it, with WM outselling POS > 2:1, and if you argue that the majority if not smartphones (that 0.9% conversation we had) much more WM PDA's than POS PDA's must have been sold.

Surur
    I sound superior. thanks for the compliment.
    "No, it's: "Fill it to the rim -- with Brim."

- glenada

Ah, yes. That's right. Old school, baby!!
    That was 20 years ago, wasn't it?
    Wow, how time flies.
    I don't think Brim is even around anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    If you think about it, with WM outselling POS > 2:1, and if you argue that the majority if not smartphones (that 0.9% conversation we had) much more WM PDA's than POS PDA's must have been sold.

Surur
    You mean the discussion of the Canalys numbers? Those were global figures of course. Here they are again:

Q4 2006

Smartphones + 'wireless handhelds' + PDAs:

WM: 14%
    Palm OS: 5%

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2007/r2007024.htm

(Probably) smartphones only:

WM 4.6%
    Palm OS 2.0%

http://www.symbian.com/about/fastfac...cts.html#_ftn1

So subtracting:

'wireless handhelds' + PDAs:

WM 9.4%
    Palm OS 3.0%

All depends on the split of 'wireless handhelds' + PDAs. As Treos seem to be in the 'smartphone' category I that that that would mean vitually all (all?) of the Palm OS 'wireless handhelds' + PDAs would be PDAs so it really depends on the split in the WM group. However that works though, it does seem the US and global pictures are very different.
    You mean the discussion of the Canalys numbers? Those were global figures of course. Here they are again:

Q4 2006

Smartphones + 'wireless handhelds' + PDAs:

WM: 14%
    Palm OS: 5%

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2007/r2007024.htm

(Probably) smartphones only:

WM 4.6%
    Palm OS 2.0%

http://www.symbian.com/about/fastfac...cts.html#_ftn1

So subtracting:

'wireless handhelds' + PDAs:

WM 9.4%
    Palm OS 3.0%

All depends on the split of 'wireless handhelds' + PDAs. As Treos seem to be in the 'smartphone' category I that that that would mean vitually all (all?) of the Palm OS 'wireless handhelds' + PDAs would be PDAs so it really depends on the split in the WM group. However that works though, it does seem the US and global pictures are very different.
    I assume he meant world wide.

Surur
  9. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    treobk214
    Well I have a 650, and I think the 755 is worth it. Here's why:

1. EV-DO is the biggest deal, as you said. I often work in places without ethernet or Wi-fi access (or even dial-up) and have to access the internet a lot. Doing it from the handset and on my computer via Bluetooth is a huge part of my Treo's job.

2. My 650 is relatively slow and I'm always having to juggle apps to manage my internal memory. I know the specs on the 755 aren't groundbreaking, but every little bit helps in speed and capacity.

3. The camera quality may not be the best out there, but it's a lot better than the 650. When I got the 650 I had had phones and PDAs for years with 1.3MP, and I miss that a lot. I'm not always walking around with my real camera, and having a better one on the Treo may be the difference between getting a usable photo or not.

4. I'm not going to pay $300 - $500 for it (I don't even know where you're getting those numbers). I don't know how much I'll wind up paying, but I'm renewing my contract and due for NE2, and that will probably mean $100 off, not to mention whatever other deals they might have at the time. I think I paid about $100 for my 650 when I got it after all the discounts. I don't expect to pay more than $200 for this one. And my phone is two years old, it's not like I've been chasing after the bleeding edge releases (not that there have been any from Palm in recent years).

I can totally see where the 700p users are coming from -- it doesn't seem like much of an improvement at all. But I decided to pass on the 700 and now I'm very excited to catch up with the latest model, even if it's not as far ahead as all of us would like.
    If you can get this phone for $100 - $150 or so, than I guess you'd be getting an acceptable deal there.

I hear what you're saying about how every little bit of extra memory and extra speed helps - I have a 650 myself. I admit I'd like quite a bit more storage as well as faster internet browsing, but I'm willing to wait for a bit more - an updated os, PIM applications, faster processor, better bluetooth and possibly wifi and / or gps in my next upgrade. If its got all those, Ill be happy to pay for it.

I think it was a good move on your part to pass on the 700p given all the issues that came to the forefront with it. I'm sure you'll appreciate the snappier browsing and additional storage on your new treo. Wish you the best with it.

In my case, I'm just willing to wait a while longer before I upgrade again.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Thank for everyone's data. My original statement was based on my old impression on PDAs, which was not accurate. So I should have said that the reason the all mighty Microsoft has not eliminated Palm is because of Palm's unique usability.
    If you are still interested in the numbers.
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...ownhill-slide/

PalmOS has 32% of the market in Q1 2007, while WM has confirmed 42%, and and probably closer to 60% of the PDA market.

Surur
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM View Post
    treobk214
    Well I have a 650, and I think the 755 is worth it. Here's why:

1. EV-DO is the biggest deal, as you said. I often work in places without ethernet or Wi-fi access (or even dial-up) and have to access the internet a lot. Doing it from the handset and on my computer via Bluetooth is a huge part of my Treo's job.

2. My 650 is relatively slow and I'm always having to juggle apps to manage my internal memory. I know the specs on the 755 aren't groundbreaking, but every little bit helps in speed and capacity.

3. The camera quality may not be the best out there, but it's a lot better than the 650. When I got the 650 I had had phones and PDAs for years with 1.3MP, and I miss that a lot. I'm not always walking around with my real camera, and having a better one on the Treo may be the difference between getting a usable photo or not.

4. I'm not going to pay $300 - $500 for it (I don't even know where you're getting those numbers). I don't know how much I'll wind up paying, but I'm renewing my contract and due for NE2, and that will probably mean $100 off, not to mention whatever other deals they might have at the time. I think I paid about $100 for my 650 when I got it after all the discounts. I don't expect to pay more than $200 for this one. And my phone is two years old, it's not like I've been chasing after the bleeding edge releases (not that there have been any from Palm in recent years).

I can totally see where the 700p users are coming from -- it doesn't seem like much of an improvement at all. But I decided to pass on the 700 and now I'm very excited to catch up with the latest model, even if it's not as far ahead as all of us would like.
    I am also a 650 owner, however, I decided to wait. I think all of your points are good reasons, but not strong enough for me to spend $275+. Here is what I would like to see in the next version:

* More stable OS. I hope the rumored Linux based OS will be a lot more stable than Garnet, which soft resets quite frequently on my 650.
    * A bigger screen, 320x480. However, I don't want a HTC brick. I hope Palm can come up with an innovative design that can still keep the keyboard. I mean there is still room above and below the screen now .
    * More memory, memory is cheap, we should have $256MB.
    * Cheap boardband data plan, but I willing to pay more if I can get the above 3 things (I know, it is just wishful thinking).

If there is a good data plan, I don't really care about WiFi. A better camera is good, but I rarely uses mine today, so I won't miss it even if there isn't one.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    If you are still interested in the numbers.
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...ownhill-slide/

PalmOS has 32% of the market in Q1 2007, while WM has confirmed 42%, and and probably closer to 60% of the PDA market.

Surur
    Thanks. Looks like PDA has a whole is not doing well. One side is smartphones, the other is ultra ultra mobile PCs. I wouldn't be surprised in 5 years, PDAs would be squeezed out. I think Treos would survive longer.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234