Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I don't think anyone cares one lick if it's successful or not. The people's concern around here is a good smartphone, and regardless if it sells like gangbusters or not, it is not one. And if people migrate away from smartphones to it, it's because they didn't need the feature set of a smartphone in the first place. For those that do need those features, the iphone will not be their choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I think people are going to be quite surprised as to just how successful the iphone will be. the palm sherlock (755) will look like a palm clusoe after the iphone makes its debut. just you wait.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I don't think anyone cares one lick if it's successful or not.
    I care. I would very much like to see my $84,XXX in shares continue going up.

The people's concern around here is a good smartphone, and regardless if it sells like gangbusters or not, it is not one.
    This is an opinion of someone that is misinformed. But you will see soon enough.

And if people migrate away from smartphones to it, it's because they didn't need the feature set of a smartphone in the first place. For those that do need those features, the iphone will not be their choice.
    Well, that is certainly one way to look at it without admitting that Apple will have a superior product.
    spoken like a true fanboy
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    You're a bit too overconfident there, crogs. But no worries. The iphone will take of that for you and you'll feel much better in the morning.

Spout all ya want.. you will see.
    You're a bit too overconfident there, crogs. But no worries. The iphone will take of that for you and you'll feel much better in the morning.

Spout all ya want.. you will see.
    Not another Archie.. :sigh:

Surur
    nope. another surur. how bout that!
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    saw a guy using a coffee can as a toilet -THAT is more innovating than ANYTHING Palm is doing.
    i'll never drink coffee again!
    How does the old commercial go ....

"Fill it to the brim?"
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I dont believe Palm is innovating anymore, they are just lagging. No WIFI, no HSDPA on a Palm OS Treo, no multi-tasking, small amounts of memory... Palm should be the company throwing in 2-4GB of NAND flash memory and pushing the market! Instead, Apple has to do it! What happened Palm, playing catch up!? tisk tisk
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    There are really my set of 2 cents:

* Apple's iPhone is really a defensive move. It is pretty clear, that new SmartPhone or high end mobile phones are capable of playing MP3. Since Apple is so heavily banked on iPods, they clearly see that as a big threat. They started by moving iTune support into some other phones, like Motorola's Slvr and Razer phones, but even if that's successful, it would only be half of the iPod+iTune business. Who said that the best defense is an offense.

* Apple is good at doing a few things really well, yet not good in a lot of other things. They were good in graphic interface, therefore naturally were strong in graphic softwares to begin with, like Photoshop. However, they were not able to make a good business software, therefore even when most diehard Apple users hated Microsoft, Apple had and still has to depends on MS Office. Apple sucks at gaming, because gaming softwares are more experimental than other software, because it demands the most advanced graphic chip set and fastest processor. Since the only way to ensure great usability in Apple is to control everything, they could not keep up with the advance in graphical chips. These are only 2 examples, so even after they moved to use BSD to build OSX, use Intel processors and use ATI graphic chips, they are still a minor player in the PC market. But I must say, Apple rules in usability, so it will never die. Look at iPod, its innovation is only in usability. There had been 100's of MP3 players before and after iPod came to the market, many have more features and capacity and cheaper than iPod. but iPod is simple to use and has an elegant design, its appeal is not in technology innovation, but usability.

* Palm platform is traditionally strong in usability. The simple user interface is what keep Windows Mobile from taking over the PDA market. So in a way Palm is fighting the competition in PDA and SmartPhone market the same way as Apple fighting in PC and iPod market. The iPhone would be the first direct competition between the two.

* The iPhone's biggest advantage is its gesture based control. I believe they are the first to bring it to mass market. I saw Job's keynote, he sounds more like a salesman than a high tech CEO. All the other features in iPhone has been supported by other phones. One problem without any buttons is that your fingers have to move longer distance to select items. With Palm's 5 way button control, you can do 90% of the things you would do on calendar and task list with movements in a few millimeters. Palm already has a touch screen, so to add gesture control is not that hard, in fact, I am surprised they have not tried it so far.

Who would win? In the short term, both would pretty much keep the same customer base, because they came from two completely different group of people. The iPhone targets iPod users and will eventually replace iPod (why do you want to carry an iPod when you have an iPhone?). The Treos will continue to appeal to business users, because they do not care about fancy GUI, music and movies.
    In the long term, which every side can get into the other's business more successfully would win the overall battle. However, I have a hard time seeing iPhone focus on business softwares and Treo become sexy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    The simple user interface is what keep Windows Mobile from taking over the PDA market.
    Aren't most PDAs sold now running WM?
    Great analysis, ksom! Some people just dont want to believe that these devices are going to appeal to different audiences. But June is right around the corner, and we will see what people will spend their $500 on...755p or the iPhone. And lets face it, since they are also on different networks, they cant directly compete anyways!
    Man, some people!!!
  14. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I would love to have an iPhone someday, but as of now I see the Treo 700p/755p actually having better features for what I need, at least until the iPhone is proven to work well. The one thing that has me more excited for the iPhone is that its browser will be a version of Safari, running on some version of OS X. If it really does behave something like the desktop software, that's a huge advantage over the Treo for me -- the 3G support on the Treo is a big plus, but Blazer is what's causing the slowdown when browsing, not the connection speed.

I'm planning for my next phone to be the 755p (on Verizon, hopefully soon), but after that I want to see the iPhone with 3G capability, 3rd-party software, and proven to be reliable for signal strength and battery life, and evidence that ATT/Cingular has fixed the problems with their coverage in NYC since I was last a customer, and then I will be all over the iPhone, even if it means paying to get out of my Verizon contract.
    What I find amazing is how some people are finding the teeny, tiny little tweakings of the 755p to be worth $300 - $500!!! If it's your first treo, I can totally agree in that its a good buy.

If you're upgrading from a 300 to a 600, its definitely a great upgrade.

Upgrading from anywhere from a 650 on up is completely unnecessary expense in my opinion.

To me, If you're going to spend $300 - $500, you should be inheriting a device which has SIGNIFICANT improvements or enhancements from the device you currently are using.

How dramatically will it change your current mobile experience?

Ev-do is arguably the only real upgrade in these devices, but to me, that would be worth $99 as an upgrade or replacemen, nowhere near $300 - $500. no way.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Ouch! But great points, nonetheless! the iPhone will be the mac daddy of feature-phones, not a smartphone!
    The iPhone will be the Apple Newton of smart phones. Out dated from the start and gone in 1 year.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    What I find amazing is how some people are finding the teeny, tiny little tweakings of the 755p to be worth $300 - $500!!! If it's your first treo, I can totally agree in that its a good buy.

If you're upgrading from a 300 to a 600, its definitely a great upgrade.

Upgrading from anywhere from a 650 on up is completely unnecessary expense in my opinion.

To me, If you're going to spend $300 - $500, you should be inheriting a device which has SIGNIFICANT improvements or enhancements from the device you currently are using.

How dramatically will it change your current mobile experience?

Ev-do is arguably the only real upgrade in these devices, but to me, that would be worth $99 as an upgrade or replacemen, nowhere near $300 - $500. no way.
    Kind of how people buy new Ipod's every year with a bit more capacity, and maybe a shinier case?

Surur
    outdated and gone just like the treo 755 will be? lol. please
    If people think its a great idea for fork over $500 for shiny new covers or cool new colors. hey go for it.

I'm saying I think its a waste of money
    If people think its a great idea for fork over $500 for shiny new covers or cool new colors. hey go for it.

I'm saying I think its a waste of money
    I'm sure you know you are not alone in saying this. No need to sound so superior about it.

Surur
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast