Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 74
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Points and laughs. The phone is defined by what it cant do, not what it can.

    Cant use 3G networks
    cant use java or flash
    cant buy tracks directly from the device
    cant add any app you want
    cant answer the phone with hardware keys
    cant dial with gloves on
    cant use itunes music as ring tones.
    cant use the phone as a modem
    cant read office documents.
    cant sync with exchange.
    cant buy it without contract.
    cant get a subsidy

    cant cant cant.

    But simple-minded Applelistos like taking it like that...

    Surur
    Ouch! But great points, nonetheless! the iPhone will be the mac daddy of feature-phones, not a smartphone!
  2. #22  
    That was my point. I hear people in all of these threads on all of these sites talking about moving to the iphone when it comes out. It only does a fraction of what your Treo or WinMob device does.

    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Ouch! But great points, nonetheless! the iPhone will be the mac daddy of feature-phones, not a smartphone!
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Points and laughs. The phone is defined by what it cant do, not what it can.

    Cant use 3G networks
    cant use java or flash
    cant buy tracks directly from the device
    cant add any app you want
    cant answer the phone with hardware keys
    cant dial with gloves on
    cant use itunes music as ring tones.
    cant use the phone as a modem
    cant read office documents.
    cant sync with exchange.
    cant buy it without contract.
    cant get a subsidy

    cant cant cant.

    But simple-minded Applelistos like taking it like that...

    Surur
    Why do you follow me around on this forum and constantly hassle my every word. Do you have some sort of vendetta against me?
  4. #24  
    Archie, I only post when you are wrong. Unfortunately thats very often ....

    Surur
  5. #25  
    Calm down...we are ALL wrong! Palm is the only correct entity here!
  6. #26  
    Poor Archie...you don't even know what you're saying.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Points and laughs. The phone is defined by what it cant do, not what it can.

    Cant use 3G networks
    cant use java or flash
    cant buy tracks directly from the device
    cant add any app you want
    cant answer the phone with hardware keys
    cant dial with gloves on
    cant use itunes music as ring tones.
    cant use the phone as a modem
    cant read office documents.
    cant sync with exchange.
    cant buy it without contract.
    cant get a subsidy

    cant cant cant.

    But simple-minded Applelistos like taking it like that...

    Surur
    Ouch! But great points, nonetheless! the iPhone will be the mac daddy of feature-phones, not a smartphone!
    These are NOT great points! Not at all! They're ridiculous and gloss over what makes the iPhone so innovative and attractive — what you choose to ignore. And you are ignoring the very aspects that enable the iPhone to trump every other phone on the market.

    But to address the ridculous,
    You say...

    Cant use 3G networks

    Ummm... at BEST, 20% of the market is served by Cingular's 3G network. If it is unavailable to more than 80% of the population. Why should Apple provide a phone that many will not be able to take advantage of?

    But to continue, they have said that when service becomes more prominent, they will provide the 3G support. At this point I feel I should also mention that since Apple has been the primary proponent of Intel's soft radio technology, it is reasonable — though not certain — to expect that they may be incorporating this into the iPhone. This means that 3G would be available to iPhone users with a simple ROM upgrade.

    AND it is also worth noting that at the last earnings report, Apple revealed their new accounting strategy for the iPhone which brakes up each iphone revenue into a 2 year time period. It was revealed at this meeting that this is done to allow Apple to provide ROM updates to open up new functionality and to provide additional applications. So it is a given that there will be some sort of ROM update that will open up new functionality. It is just not certain what it will be.



    cant use java or flash

    Java is different than JavaScript. The browser is a fully functioning browser and it will indeed support JavaScript. And it is looking like Flash support will be there as well.


    cant buy tracks directly from the device

    suurur, I've explained to you before what the deal is here. This will come soon enough. Besides, you have said it yourself, you, yourself won't be purchasing songs from the likes of other offerings that ARE available at $2.99 a shot.


    cant add any app you want

    Steve Jobs has said Apple is still struggling to decide if third-party developers will be able to create software that will run on the iPhone. It’s a decision Apple “is wrestling with.” So you can't say "cant" when you obviously don't know what you are talking about — well YOU can, but it just serves to display your ignorance.


    cant answer the phone with hardware keys

    This is perhaps the most ridiculous of all of your complaints. Even ignoring the fact that you have posted a picture of a phone that you supposedly use which doesn't have any "hardware" keys itself to answer the phone with.


    cant dial with gloves on

    Again, ridiculous. Especially considering there are gloves that you can buy that will let you dial. Incidentally, if you favor so much those tiny physical buttons that require precise punching on the Treo, then tell me, How do you dial those with gloves on? I can't do it. Can anyone?

    cant use itunes music as ring tones.

    This is not know. But I am not surprized at your pronouncement of it being so in your display of effort to discount anything that I say, WHICH... as history has proven to your great apparent dislike, I am always correct.

    But as I recall you were posting and agreeing with another poster that this capability was there. It is probably worth noting that it was another poster and not myself that you were discussing this iPhone issue with.

    As a related note, Apple's whole push for removing DRM content is based on the introduction of the iPhone. If you can't extrapolate why, I might be able to find time in another post to explain the reasoning for this.




    cant use the phone as a modem

    This is the one point you are correct with. (Score one for surur)
    But it is worth mentioning that with the iPhone, there is no need to use it as a modem for your laptop. Why? Because you have the iPhone.



    cant read office documents.

    This is a silly and, again, a ridiculous pronouncement you make. Are you aware that OS X has the ability to read office documents at the system level? Yeh, I thought not. You should not underestimate the fact that OS X is sitting on a handheld device such as the this.


    cant sync with exchange.

    At the keynote Steve Jobs said that it WOULD operate with Exchange.


    cant buy it without contract.
    cant get a subsidy

    These two go together. The fact that every other phones sale through providers IS subsidized is rather scary in my opinion. You get a good deal upfront but are then taken to the cleaners through out your contract. AND the fact that every phoen is like this hides the inflated pricing we see in phone and data service. I of course can't say with any certainty what AT&T will offer for iPhone plans because I am not connected in any fashion to the company and have no inside information; BUT, I can tell you it will be different that other plans.
  8. #28  
    Doesnt change that its still ONLY a feature phone, even if it will be the best feature phone out there. Still not a smartphone!
  9. #29  
    Then what's your definition of a smartphone?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCleverSNForMe View Post
    Then what's your definition of a smartphone?
    OOH! Not the whole definition thingie again! I know the thread is already jacked, but let me make this short & sweet..

    iPhone is full of multimedia features for the consumer to enjoy.

    Smartphone is capable of features for almost all facets of life, but primarily designed for the prosumer/business person.
  11. #31  
    Archie.... soft radios...really? native document viewing built in... realy? works (syncs?) with exchange... really? buying gloves that work with your phone.... priceless!

    You miss the point so much its really sad. Your undying optimism is really endearing however! Keep up the good work!

    Surur
  12. #32  
    I guess being labeled as the 'best feature phone' isnt good enough for him and the iPhone!

    Anyways, back to SMARTphones...
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    OOH! Not the whole definition thingie again! I know the thread is already jacked, but let me make this short & sweet..

    iPhone is full of multimedia features for the consumer to enjoy.

    Smartphone is capable of features for almost all facets of life, but primarily designed for the prosumer/business person.
    That's a **** poor definition. Let's be as vague as possible, shall we?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    That's a **** poor definition. Let's be as vague as possible, shall we?
    Vague, nah. But it was meant to be a blanket statement. The real question is what would make the iPhone a smartphone and NOT just a feature phone?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    OOH! Not the whole definition thingie again! I know the thread is already jacked, but let me make this short & sweet..

    iPhone is full of multimedia features for the consumer to enjoy.

    Smartphone is capable of features for almost all facets of life, but primarily designed for the prosumer/business person.
    Dont worry about thread jacking. This thread was always about the IPhone. Why do you think Archie started it?

    Surur
  16. #36  
    you guys are silly ...

    The smart phone / feature phone -- who cares. I belive it's what people desire that is important - what makes people buy the phone. Palm may be the best business related phone (smartphone if you like). It may also offer the best options for the technically savy consumer. However, the iPhone appears (it's not yet release so it's not a fact) to be the best balance, offering what will be most desired by the general consumer. Apple seems to have hit a nerve and come up w/ a balance betweeen technology, form factor, and consumer deisired functions.

    The jury is still out gentleman ..only time will tell
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    you guys are silly ...

    The smart phone / feature phone -- who cares. I belive it's what people desire that is important - what makes people buy the phone. Palm may be the best business related phone (smartphone if you like). It may also offer the best options for the technically savy consumer. However, the iPhone appears (it's not yet release so it's not a fact) to be the best balance, offering what will be most desired by the general consumer. Apple seems to have hit a nerve and come up w/ a balance betweeen technology, form factor, and consumer deisired functions.

    The jury is still out gentleman ..only time will tell
    A more in-depth summary of the differences in the two categories....What people want (feature) and what businesses need (Smart).

    No doubt the iPhone will sell! But it will steal more of the Chocolate's sales than the Treo's!
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    A more in-depth summary of the differences in the two categories....What people want (feature) and what businesses need (Smart).

    No doubt the iPhone will sell! But it will steal more of the Chocolate's sales than the Treo's!
    Exactly. Even comparing it to a proper smartphone does the moniker a disservice.

    Surur
  19. #39  
    I think people are going to be quite surprised as to just how successful the iphone will be.

    the palm sherlock (755) will look like a palm clusoe after the iphone makes its debut.

    just you wait.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    A more in-depth summary of the differences in the two categories....What people want (feature) and what businesses need (Smart).

    No doubt the iPhone will sell! But it will steal more of the Chocolate's sales than the Treo's!
    yes ... a good way to put it
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions