1.    #1  
    I am currently using the 650 and am eligible for upgrade. Verizon only has the 700p and the 700wx. Based on reviews I am reading on this site people feel the 700p is a bad phone?? should I switch to the windows version 700wx? what about the poor display on the wx (240x240) when the 700p is 320x320.
    Most importantly I was looking for the upgraded ability to surf the web on my treo using the broadband network (n/a on 650)
    So bottom line question - which treo should I get now or is it worthwhile waiting if something better is supposed to be out soon at Verizon??
    Thanks for any input.
    The 700P is not a bad phone, for the majority of the people. Sure it has some bugs, but there is an update that is suppose to be out this month. Some people seem to have a lot of problems, but there is one thread here with a poll that shows about 75% are relatively to very satisfied. For Verizon, it is the best they have right now and I would and have recommend it to others. If the update does what it says, it will be one of the best smartphones.
    The 700P is a great device. There have been some hardware issues, and some bugs (skipping music with ptunes, a far from ideal Bluetooth implementation) that we hope will be fixed before the end of the month. As long as you are careful what you use for third party apps (I don't care what anybody tells you, do not just sync your 650 apps to the 700P) and pay attention to known problems (I just discovered that Fontsmoother was causing lags and freezes in my Versamail) it will work well for you. And the EVDO is great.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    A year ago I was doing the same research, between the 700p and the then 700w. I chose the 700p. Bottom line will be what you want to do with the phone and what preferences you have. However, the scene has changed a bit since last year and you will have to consider the following:

- If you plan to sync your phone with your computer, what OS do you have? If Mac OS, definitely stay with Palm OS and 700p. If you have Windows Vista, perhaps the 700wx is better option given the lack of strong Vista support for the 700p. XP? either option is fine but XP is phasing out by end of year.

- 3rd party support is now even for both 700p/wx. Is not a deciding factor anymore. A year ago there was no comparison, Palm OS apps were way ahead of the curve.

- The problems you mention about either platform will not be a factor within a short timeframe. The 240x240 will be fixed with WM6 some time in the summer thanks to WM6 supporting 320x320; the 700wx does have a 320x320 screen, is just that WM5 (current version) only can display 240x240. The lag/BT issues with 700p will be fixed with the MR by the end of the month. As you can see, either option you take today will have some improvement in the near future.

- Either road you decide to take, you have to be mentally prepared to the fact that you will be giving something away with the upgrade: with the 700p you will be giving away the speed, responsiveness and stability of your 650; with the 700wx you will start from scratch learning a completely new way of doing things.

The facts are there on the table, and it is up to you to decide. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably choose the 700wx instead of the 700p just because my company will not support Palm OS by EOY and thus there won't be any support for using my phone for business purposes.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    755p plz

(i mean, instead of the 700p) I was not at all impressed on the 700p by the 'broadband'. Frankly, Blazer was just as slow as the 650 for me, usually. Ugh bad memories.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I had the same dilemma as you did between choosing the 700WX and 700P.

At first I chose the 700WX and tried it out for a week and was satisfied overall except for the calendar and email functions. Those were major gripes that I couldn't ignore so I switched out to a 700P. Be wary of trying to load all your 650 apps on the 700P, I went through 3 days of continual crashes before I got it to a point where it doesn't crash at all and I have 75% of the apps I had before with my most critical apps all installed.

It's really up to you though, I found that using Palm OS was easier than WM5 but we'll see what happens in 2 years, for now I'm loving my 700P, I just need TomTom to give me back my license for Navigator 5 so my GPS will work again since I returned my 700WX and installed it on there.
    Last edited by jvwong96; 05/09/2007 at 02:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    755p plz

(i mean, instead of the 700p) I was not at all impressed on the 700p by the 'broadband'. Frankly, Blazer was just as slow as the 650 for me, usually. Ugh bad memories.
    First of all, she is on Verizon and there is no word when a 755 will be available for them.

Second, Blazer is noticably quicker on the 700, even if you aren't in EVDO. It uses an upgraded version (4.5) and you can make the cache larger than on the 650. Broadband is not really broadband, even with EVDO. But the 700 does a good job.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I used the 700W for about a year and just got the 700P. I know the 700WX is moderately better than the W, but I don't think it would matter. I love the 700P. Sure, some people have reported some issues with it, but those should be fixed soon with the MR. I just like Palm OS better for what I need it for. The phone app works great and I love the PIM apps. It does all I need it to do and more without getting bogged down by trying to do to much like Windows Mobile.

I took pics comparing the interface. Maybe that will help you decide.

http://www.brothersontech.com/blog/n...00w-comparison

Now I'm really wanting the 755p when Verizon gets it!
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Actually I just thought of another sticking point that I had with the 700WX. FAVORITES!

5 Pages of favorites in a dual column setup is a lot of favorites when you're in the default phone app, you can only put 7 of them on the 700WX start menu and the ones on the Today screen can only be contacts. I have more apps than contacts on my favorite lists.

The two great things I did enjoy about the 700WX was the ability to directly Google anything from the Today screen and the ability to send an email to a contact from the Today screen when I did a contact search, if Pocket Outlook wasn't such a POS I probably would have kept the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jvwong96 View Post
    The two great things I did enjoy about the 700WX was the ability to directly Google anything from the Today screen and the ability to send an email to a contact from the Today screen when I did a contact search, if Pocket Outlook wasn't such a POS I probably would have kept the phone.

I think you can do both of these with Dial by Photo. It is really a well-designed application.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    I used the 700W for about a year and just got the 700P. I know the 700WX is moderately better than the W, but I don't think it would matter. I love the 700P. Sure, some people have reported some issues with it, but those should be fixed soon with the MR. I just like Palm OS better for what I need it for. The phone app works great and I love the PIM apps. It does all I need it to do and more without getting bogged down by trying to do to much like Windows Mobile.

I took pics comparing the interface. Maybe that will help you decide.

http://www.brothersontech.com/blog/n...00w-comparison

Now I'm really wanting the 755p when Verizon gets it!

Excellent comparison shots! The only thing it doesn't show is how much harder it is to set things up on the WMOS. It seems like you have two or three extra steps to go through to do the same thing with POS.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I'm a freeware kind of person so buying apps isn't my thing. The only software I'm considering buying is Butler for the SMS erase and making more of my face buttons available so I can map applications. I have the trial installed right now

Dial By Photo just gives you photo dialing and SMS for your favorite people, the Treo 700WX let you send emails to anyone from the default search box on the Today screen.

I'm not too sure about the Google search and Dial by Photo, the software description doesn't say anything about it being able to do that. In any case, I'm sticking with my Palm OS and I'm keen to see what the new Linux one looks like at the end of the year. If there are vast improvements to WM in 2 years I might try it again because there are features in WM that are just plain useful!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Thanks Musicman. I agree with you. It's really hard to capture the difference in usability. Any suggestions? I can always add more pics to help show the difference.

For me it's really in the PIM apps. In POS it's just straightforward to use them. You can add an appointment or complete a task or filter by category really simply in POS but it's just a chore in WM.