I want to design a database for our QA department to do internal audits on PC/Visor. Right now they are using Excel and Quicksheet. This is turning out to be such a pain that the Visors are sitting in a drawer, totally unused. I want to redesign the whole idea using a database instead of a spreadsheet. (I think that forms will be easier to use than spreadsheets.) How good is the synchronization between ThinkDB and Access? I don't want to do a total redesign and then find that the synchronization is so much of a pain that we are back to Visors in drawers again.

Does anyone think there is a better way than ThinkDB? It didn't look to me like HanDBase synchronized easily with Access.

Thanks!
    I don't know how the syncronization will work, but the UI on ThinkDB 2 is second to none. You can do checkboxes on the list view, it's very fast, and customized filters/views are a SNAP. Plus, you won't have to pay for anything except the thinkdb-access conduit, the rest is free...
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    I don't know how the syncronization will work, but the UI on ThinkDB 2 is second to none. You can do checkboxes on the list view, it's very fast, and customized filters/views are a SNAP. Plus, you won't have to pay for anything except the thinkdb-access conduit, the rest is free...
    Two questions:

1) Haven't they changed the pricing policy so that ThinkDB 2.0 no longer has a "free" option? On PalmGear, the only two ways to get it are with the DeskTop app, or with the dbSync app.

2) Have you had any problems personally with the Desktop App for ThinkDB 2.0? (I'm assuming you've been doing some ThinkDB development.)

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by bookrats

Two questions:

1) Haven't they changed the pricing policy so that ThinkDB 2.0 no longer has a "free" option? On PalmGear, the only two ways to get it are with the DeskTop app, or with the dbSync app.

2) Have you had any problems personally with the Desktop App for ThinkDB 2.0? (I'm assuming you've been doing some ThinkDB development.)

Thanks in advance,
    I've never used the desktop app, the palm app is more than powerful enough for me. So far as I know, that's still free. However, have version 2.0.0, the newest one is 2.0.2. www.thinkingbytes.com doesn't seem very informative on this matter. You'd think that if it were still free, they'd try and tell you in order to spread the platform rather than hide it to get you to buy the software...

As far as developing goes, I've only done it on the Visor itself, and it is AWESOME. It covers my cd library, book library, pay history, passwords, research, etc.

For more, go here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThinkDB

I'll let you know if I figure out the cost thing.
    a quick search of the yahoo group reveals that my version is free, but good luck on finding it! The newest version is a trial version..

http://www.thinkingbytes.com/support/faqQA.asp?id=4#55

IMHO this was a mistake. 40 is WAY too much, though I suppose for Enterprise use (which ThinkDB would be good for), it might be ok.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    a quick search of the yahoo group reveals that my version is free, but good luck on finding it! The newest version is a trial version..

http://www.thinkingbytes.com/support/faqQA.asp?id=4#55

IMHO this was a mistake. 40 is WAY too much, though I suppose for Enterprise use (which ThinkDB would be good for), it might be ok.
    I love the ThinkDB application, and use it quite extensively (I have developed a great Tinybyte that helps me keep track of my Ebay auctions, who has paid, shipping addresses, actual money made (minus the auction fees), etc.) I found it very easy to use. I do agree with you about not making the Palm app free anymore. One of the great things about it was being able to beam the app and a tinybyte to someone. While I think $40 is pushing it for the cost ($30 would be resonable), I will probably wind up purchasing it. I do get a lot of use out of it, and I am exploring ways to expand its use for work. I do wish they offered a bundle price on getting both of the desktop pieces (I want to use the Access one at work and the ThinkDB desktop at home). How about $50 for both?
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Originally posted by sdoersam

While I think $40 is pushing it for the cost ($30 would be resonable), I will probably wind up purchasing it. I do get a lot of use out of it, and I am exploring ways to expand its use for work. I do wish they offered a bundle price on getting both of the desktop pieces (I want to use the Access one at work and the ThinkDB desktop at home). How about $50 for both?
    I may spring for it when they put out a significant upgrade..., but does anything else out there cost $40