Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Call me ignorant but I really dont see the use for the applications unless you are a teenager...

I used to use aim way back in the day and still have a screen name today in college but no one uses it anymore we all text or call each other. Aim was useful in the day that you didnt have your own cell phone.

I had veri chat installed but never used it...
    apparently you never heard of aim stalking
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I've also read this uses txt messaging. Too bad VZW doesn't have any reasonably priced txt messaging plans. I'll stick to using Mundu and Chatopus.
    Verizon has unlimited txt plans now. It is $20 for single line and $30 for family plan with 2-5 lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Hence you just made the point of why IM is soooo important. IT really is a generational thing. Alot of twenty somethings and younger crowd that carry around sidekicks and post myspace etc live on IM. IF Palm wants to penetrate this consumer market they must absolutely support IM out of the box like this. IM should be considered as essential as email client, office compatibilty and etc....
    I am 20 and I used to use aim when I was 10-16 heavily since we didn't have cell phones and it was one of the only ways to communicate with a number of people easily.

From ages 16-18 use of AIM dropped from hours a day to maybe 10-20 mins a day. Now I am 20 and I only use aim when I need to have a long conversation with someone that I cant talk.

So I really dont see how this would target the younger generation better... Most kids my age either have a normal flip phone or a treo or BB, its rare to see a side kick I see more ppc 6700's than sidekicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    I am 20 and I used to use aim when I was 10-16 heavily since we didn't have cell phones and it was one of the only ways to communicate with a number of people easily.

From ages 16-18 use of AIM dropped from hours a day to maybe 10-20 mins a day. Now I am 20 and I only use aim when I need to have a long conversation with someone that I cant talk.

So I really dont see how this would target the younger generation better... Most kids my age either have a normal flip phone or a treo or BB, its rare to see a side kick I see more ppc 6700's than sidekicks.

Well when I walk around a college campus, I see tons more sidekicks than Treo, so ymmv. But I still maintain that younger people are more inclined to use IM than older ones...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    my grandmother IM's me from the afterlife
    I invented Instant Messaging.
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    Boy did this thread get off topic.
    maninrochester, are you related to Al Gore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    maninrochester, are you related to Al Gore?
    Ha! Al Gore couldnt come up with the Internet AND IM!!!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Well when I walk around a college campus, I see tons more sidekicks than Treo, so ymmv. But I still maintain that younger people are more inclined to use IM than older ones...
    Among the people I know I am right at the dividing line between IM users and the IM clueless. I am 29 and those who are my age and younger went through college with broadband available and many had notebooks. Those who were even 1 year older missed out on broadband and were much less likely to have notebooks. Several years later that divide has remained. Of course we all communicate less often on IM than we used to as its a lot easier to make a phone call and most of us canít use IM programs at work. However, if it is a time when you are not sure if a person wants to be called, maybe its late at night or a holiday, a quick check of an away msg may confirm whether a person is sleeping or out and available to talk. It also makes it possible to have a conversation without being heard. IM apps can also be used to express creativity with away messages or post links to photo albums, send files like an ftp client hold a conversation with multiple people simultaneously. For those 30 and over, this is all Greek to them and for today's teenager's this is all second nature.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Of course, I am atypical of my generation. I have been on the bleeding edge of technology for over 25 years.

For me, IM is most useful for work and business situations where quick and dirty research yeilds a URL that someone else wants right now. Typing URLs into my Treo is difficult. Extended research activities on my Treo are also difficult.

So IM on my Treo is nice but not necessary. I did use it alot more when Verichat worked (Treo 650 days).

For me, IM is near the bottom of my gotta haves for the Treo.

1. Great Phone/Contact/PIM/ Application and Usage
    2. Bluetooth Stereo (SAG works)
    3. Book Reader (5-10 Novels a month)
    4. Browser/On Demand (movie/TV/sports info/scores) (Church activities )
    5. Pager activities (SMS)
    6. Quick time waister games (toilet activities )
    7. IM
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Thanks g-funk!!!

Just called and got hooked up with the plan.
    You had better luck than I did. After several calls today, I finally talked with someone who knew what it was, but as they were applying it to my account they came back and said they couldn't do it for a Palm unit (my 700p). They said that plan was a "work-around" for Windows-based units because VZW didn't support some kind of exchange/sync properly (I don't know enough on those issues to speak about it). They said it was to help those users who depended on push-email or something and that it couldn't be placed for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirwoody View Post
    You had better luck than I did. After several calls today, I finally talked with someone who knew what it was, but as they were applying it to my account they came back and said they couldn't do it for a Palm unit (my 700p). They said that plan was a "work-around" for Windows-based units because VZW didn't support some kind of exchange/sync properly (I don't know enough on those issues to speak about it). They said it was to help those users who depended on push-email or something and that it couldn't be placed for me.
    WM2003SE uses SMS-triggered push e-mail, and therefore needed a big bucket of SMS messages. In WM5 push e-mail became completely IP based, and the SMS bucket is no longer needed.

Surur
    So... did anyone actually get this program on their 700? And if so... how possible is it that it'll be an app we'll be able to use/download, too? I mean, I use Mundu and it works really well. Well enough that I wouldn't need another IM app... but..the battery drainage is pretty hard. I wish it didn't have to do that!

Btw, hi. I'm kinda sorta new. Well, new to you. But you guys aren't new to me. I read this forum a lot! heh
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirwoody View Post
    And better luck than me. My first call ended with similar to the above. My second call ended with yeah, for an old push style server I needed something, but the plan of pda sms 2000 allowance doesn't work with the new billing system they are slowly moving people to. So according to them eventually as people get new plans/phones they will be on the new system and this plan will be history. :-(

Maybe I was fed a line (well, two lines in two calls a few hours apart) but not much to do about that.
    I'm in the same boat Andrew, I was initially excited about the IM feature in the 755 but then I remembered that I've only IMed 2 people in the past year.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Ha! Al Gore couldnt come up with the Internet AND IM!!!
    He couldn't have. I did. In fact I own both the Internet and IM, after all I invented them!
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starria View Post
    So... did anyone actually get this program on their 700? And if so... how possible is it that it'll be an app we'll be able to use/download, too? I mean, I use Mundu and it works really well. Well enough that I wouldn't need another IM app... but..the battery drainage is pretty hard. I wish it didn't have to do that!

Btw, hi. I'm kinda sorta new. Well, new to you. But you guys aren't new to me. I read this forum a lot! heh

So far it has been a no go. It appears to only work on 755p.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    If you have a data plan you can get a free 2000 SMS (some say it is actually unlimited, no charges past 2000 msgs) bonus package. It's called PDA SMS 2000. Search and you will find info about it, I got my GF to hook it up to her Vzw plan with the 700p, it's real.
    I just got off the phone with Vzw. I did the Call Center Two Step, talked to a peon then a Sup. This plan was discontinued last year and is no longer available. No amount of begging would change the Sups' mind.

Any one else have any luck?
    "and if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier..."
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I think there's a way to set up your own sms server, but its beyond me...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast