Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Puk
    Does anyone know if the newer Treos (and Sprint's service) allow DUN or the equivalent to use the phone as a network connection for my laptop?

I have a Treo 650 and I use the $10/mo net as dialup for my laptop a lot. I'd probably be willing to pay $20/mo to do the same thing with EVDO. But otherwise it just doesn't seem worth the money for an upgrade yet.

Anyone? Thanks.

-puk
    Quote Originally Posted by Puk View Post
    Does anyone know if the newer Treos (and Sprint's service) allow DUN or the equivalent to use the phone as a network connection for my laptop?

I have a Treo 650 and I use the $10/mo net as dialup for my laptop a lot. I'd probably be willing to pay $20/mo to do the same thing with EVDO. But otherwise it just doesn't seem worth the money for an upgrade yet.

Anyone? Thanks.

-puk
    Yes. That is still available in the newer Treo's. The service is called Phone-as-Modem through Sprint, but It's defenitely not $10/mo anymore.

I would suggest a few of the 3rd party apps such as PdaNet to use your existing data plan.

There is some discussion about that here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=143049
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Puk View Post

Anyone? Thanks.

-puk
    If you currently pay $20/mo for internet service through your Sprint phone, you'd have to pay $20/mo more for what Sprint calls "Unlimited Data Plan for Phone as Modem."

That plan does not include text messages or picture mail, which are an addition $5/mo each.

I hope that helps.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    So I have had my burgundy 755p for 1 day now, here are my initial impressions:

Fit/Style: big improvement over the 700p. Easy to hold, love both the new rubber paint and the contours. Thinner, easier to manipulate. Big style plus!

BT: Light years better than the 700p. The BMW BT issue (I think it's all cars) for the 700p is fixed! Caller id reflects correctly on both the Treo and the BMW screen! This is fantastic for incoming calls.

Lag: The lag b/w opening app's is at least 80% less than what it was. Ex: Switching b/w Chatter and the Phone app used to take 5 seconds - it only takes 1 second now.

Overall POS: The fixes put into the 755p Garnett OS have created a much more stable operating system. No resets, smooth quick transitions b/w applications. Chatter works perfectly. Blazer moves quickly b/w web sites.

For me, the 755p is everything I want in a smartphone. With Chatter blazing the lead (using Treo select text and Ludusp as compliments) I am emailing, talking and surfing with much greater dexterity and less headaches than before. The new style is great - a big improvement to my eyes. The "clunkiness" factor of using a 700p is gone. I don't need my Vaja case anymore as the rubber paint allows me to firmly grip the 755p w/o fear of dropping - this was why I got the Vaja for the 700p - so I wouldn't drop the phone when handling it. I put the styling of the 755p up against the current BB 8300's, 8800's and the Curve. So maybe the 755p doesn't win the style contest against it's BB cousins, but at least it is in the game and doesn't get laughed out of the room.

In summary, the 755p is a marked improvement over the 700p. Sure the 700p with the antenna replacement, upgraded OS and eGrips would be a much closer comparison, but I am happy that I upgraded nonetheless!
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    Ditto AMBTreo above, and I'm just glad I bought a then-new 700P less than 30 days ago!

I've had this 755P since Saturday afternoon, and it has yet to reset (or need such), but the 700P would either do that or need one at least every 3-4 days.
    Palm Pre
    I have to say the 755p is rock solid, no resets and bluetooth headset works flawlessly.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
    Ditto AMBTreo above, and I'm just glad I bought a then-new 700P less than 30 days ago!

I've had this 755P since Saturday afternoon, and it has yet to reset (or need such), but the 700P would either do that or need one at least every 3-4 days.
    That's great news! Glad to hear your 755p is working out for you.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    Boy, did I speak too soon!

Saturday morning I go to the gym. I check my E-mail when I'm on my way out- I see this message, something like "No memory left, some messages can't be stored" or the like that I hadn't seen before, hit "OK" and went to read my E-mail. I'd finished one message, and my Palm went into a reset loop!

I tried everything- pulling the card, soft resets, yanking the battery and waiting, nothing worked. Since I was away from my computer (and it's obvious that Palm owners need to do daily backups (which is hard for me, as I run Linux and have to dual-boot into Windows to do so)), faced with being locked out of my phone all day I had no choice but to hard-reset.

I don't know what would make it just start doing that, but I do recall I had installed on Friday the newly-released TakePhone beta for the 755P- but I don't know why it would cause a reboot loop like that on the 2nd day of use, unattended, when I hadn't even gotten phone calls.

I'll give Palm one more chance- the 700P was buggy, too- then I've got no choice but to try a CrackBerry. I need a device to (1) get me to my E-mail, (2) make phone calls and (3) get text messages; it's got to be rock-solid for all that.
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    ...(and it's obvious that Palm owners need to do daily backups (which is hard for me, as I run Linux and have to dual-boot into Windows to do so))...
    I know this is a side issue, but there are a number of PalmOS back-up options under Linux - jpilot (http://www.jpilot.org/) is rock-solid for me (with a 650).
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    Does anybody that owns a 700P really want this phone??? The humanity. At this point I really think palm thinks we are stupid or something. I swear if the new linux based treo doesnt compete well against cutting edge phones that are out there now, I'm done with palm. 755P my A**!!! It's just the 700P cloked in a different skin. I might have been born the day before yesterday but i sure wasnt born yersterday!!

p.s The review should really say for us to refer to the 700P review with the addition of a new form factor(antenna less) and miniSD addition. No need for a full review.

I do, I think.. lol.. can't be worse than the 700p. If all it is, is a 700p with the problems fixed, then it will be a great phone.. mine is on order already, with $200 off from calling and complaining. and not to mention, no more antenna sticking out.. nice.
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    BT: Light years better than the 700p. The BMW BT issue (I think it's all cars) for the 700p is fixed! Caller id reflects correctly on both the Treo and the BMW screen! This is fantastic for incoming calls.

WOW, just for this I'm happay I ordered my 755p... although we shouldn't have to buy a new phone to get BT working, whatever.
    I called and complained and got $200 credit... and now the 700p goes to ebay for at least $150. that's $350 off, nice.

My 650 in the car worked great. now the 700 decided to show the wrong number on screen every time. hated. I hope you are correct and the 755 works like the 650 did.
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Quote Originally Posted by plaut View Post
    I know this is a side issue, but there are a number of PalmOS back-up options under Linux - jpilot ... is rock-solid for me ...
    Thanks. Also, I have to thank RickMG for hipping me to "NVBackup", which lets me back up to my SD card, and will also connect to an FTP server nightly and upload the saved set there, too!
    Palm Pre
    Can I use the 755p witn a GSM Network ??
    No. CDMA only, and only Sprint at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoput View Post
    Can I use the 755p witn a GSM Network ??
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I enjoyed the review of the 755P. Can someone address if the following will work for me since I am not a techie and freak out thinking if I don't do the upgrade/migration correctly to the 755, my life will become complicated if my data does not get moved over properly.

1) Is the migration similar to 600 to 650. Use of a backup file on PC, then load all data to new 755P, Do preferences come across, saved IM messages, memos loaded names, fast dial phone numbers etc-

2) I use the Sprint Biz-connect email. Email comes to my PC then pushed to phone. if PC is off no email since central exchange server is controlled by another compnay we subscribe to. Will this still work or is there some way with the 755p, that I can just get email pushed to my 755 without first visiting my office PC--similar to blackberry. I assume i must get my exchang manger to help me here.

3) I use a 128 MB SD card in 650, will this work. I saw something about the 700P using a Mini SD card. I have valuable golf lessons on the card, family photos etc and would hate to lose this data. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    No. CDMA only, and only Sprint at the moment.
    Is there a Cingular Release date?
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    I still get the occasional soft reset (randomly) when entering the Web, or clicking on a web link from an email message. This doesn't happen too often on my 755p, and is much improved from my 700p which used to happen much too often.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234