Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    Does anybody that owns a 700P really want this phone??? The humanity. At this point I really think palm thinks we are stupid or something. I swear if the new linux based treo doesnt compete well against cutting edge phones that are out there now, I'm done with palm. 755P my A**!!! It's just the 700P cloked in a different skin. I might have been born the day before yesterday but i sure wasnt born yersterday!!

I didn't see any reason to upgrade from my Treo650 to the 700p. But now that my phone is well over 2 years old, I will make the plunge on the 755p. At least that way I won't have a pesky antenna!

Oh! and since I was always to cheap to actually buy a chat application, I am thrilled that one is integrated.

What does everyone thing about the price point? $280.00 seems worth the upgrade, but I will be mad if something better comes out in 2007!
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Probably not, mostly since MR's don't seem to ever be used to actually upgrade POS release. 700P uses 5.4, 755P uses 5.4.9 (similar to 680).
    My 700p is on 5.4.9
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I read the review. It is a good review, and if one takes it as a review aimed to a relatively new user then is very good; but what is in everyone's mind is of course the fact that 755p is no more than a re-packaged version of the 700p. Even Jennifer acknowledges that fact and at least makes it clear she does not have a 700p to compare with.

So for that I also would like to point out that, since the reviewer does not have a 700p experience, commenting that the problems seen previously in the 700p are gone hold no validity whatsoever.

Perhaps and addendum in the near future from the point of view of a 700p user who tried/upgraded to a 755p would put this issue to rest.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Quote Originally Posted by slwatts View Post
    I didn't see any reason to upgrade from my Treo650 to the 700p. But now that my phone is well over 2 years old, I will make the plunge on the 755p. At least that way I won't have a pesky antenna!

Oh! and since I was always to cheap to actually buy a chat application, I am thrilled that one is integrated.

What does everyone thing about the price point? $280.00 seems worth the upgrade, but I will be mad if something better comes out in 2007!
    This is more or less where I'm coming from.

My 650 is 2 and a half years old, now. I need to reboot it once or twice a day (once if I wanna go online and twice if I wanna go online, then later wanna use DUN).

I was hoping for more from this latest device - especially if I'm gonna give up my precious sd cards in favor of mini's - but it seems that mini sd's are pretty frickin' cheap, already. I'll probably jump on this and then sell it if and when something really cool gets released on Sprint's network in the next six months or so.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    How about a real review by a power user so we get both sides. Septimus I agree that the 755 as a standalone is a decent phone but I just cannot respect review or "news" that doesn't tell it like it is. But of course you guys can't bash Treos because you sell them! So in all honesty from a business standpoint I understand. Anyone want to start a site for neutral reviews that don't sell Treo products?
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    ... but do you guys really think that Palm would try to position this as a replacement for the 700p? That just doesn't make any business sense. They are doing this to increase subscriber growth. Plain and simple. The carriers are asking them to do so, and this is how they are oblidging the carriers. This is not meant to "ignore their current users". Anyone with any business experience knows that good solid businesses are built on organic growth. That is what this does. Sell through rates are key. This can only help.

They will placate all of you hollering 700p users with the new OS (linux-based) phones when it comes out later this year. Hopefully. If they don't, then you have every right to complain.

But please, oh please, see this for what it is...

Secondly, for someone like me who has been holding off on getting a treo (having a sanyo 8300 and a Tungsten E right now) this is a perfect upgrade. No bones about it.

P.S. yes this is my first post. but i have lurked here since last fall in my research towards buying a treo.
    Great first post! Right on the money...literally.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiatt View Post
    P.S. yes this is my first post. but i have lurked here since last fall in my research towards buying a treo.
    It's a shame that a calm, reasonable new user has to end his/her first post, like this, simply because some folks are so quick to jump on a newbie (or anyone) with a different perspective.

Welcome, rpiatt. Glad to have you here.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    er, maybe you guys should find someone who has USED a 700p before to preview/review the 755p?
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    I read the review. It is a good review, and if one takes it as a review aimed to a relatively new user then is very good; but what is in everyone's mind is of course the fact that 755p is no more than a re-packaged version of the 700p. Even Jennifer acknowledges that fact and at least makes it clear she does not have a 700p to compare with.
    I agree. That's why I'm looking forward to the more in-depth review from JimmieGeddes (thanks Jimmie!). Here's his first crack: http://gadgetsonthego.net/2007/05/tr...ook.html#links
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    ... but do you guys really think that Palm would try to position this as a replacement for the 700p? That just doesn't make any business sense. They are doing this to increase subscriber growth. Plain and simple. The carriers are asking them to do so, and this is how they are oblidging the carriers. This is not meant to "ignore their current users". Anyone with any business experience knows that good solid businesses are built on organic growth. That is what this does. Sell through rates are key. This can only help.

They will placate all of you hollering 700p users with the new OS (linux-based) phones when it comes out later this year. Hopefully. If they don't, then you have every right to complain.

Secondly, for someone like me who has been holding off on getting a treo (having a sanyo 8300 and a Tungsten E right now) this is a perfect upgrade. No bones about it.

Welcome to the forums as an active user rpiatt!

Now here's my reasoning behind the 755p and why I'd recommend to wait. Exactly a year ago Palm was releasing the 700p with pretty much the same level of rave reviews and positive feedback. So I went ahead and upgraded my dated 600 because of the 700p new features. As you can see, there are parallels here between you rcase and my case

However, soon after I purchased it the real gremlins in the device came out to hunt me. BT connectivity, lags/freezes, the well-known issues of the 700p that many users in the forum started complaining about, with justified reasons. A month after the release the BT problem was all but real, along with the other well known issues.

So my recommend for you is wait, if anything just a tad bit. There will be users who will be upgrading from the 700p to the 755p for whatever reasons. Let them play with the phone and then make statements about how improved things are already. And then pay attention to those claims and make up your mind, if the 755p is then your real choice or perhaps is time to look elsewhere.

I wouldn't want any new users to get crashed and burned as I did when I got this 700p and all of it associated nightmares. I mean, one spends real money on these devices, so it is better to make an extensive research before taking the plunge. Treocentral is a good community to get feedback on all Palm devices and of course, a month after the 755p is out the jury will make its final decision on the matter.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    still waiting, still on 650
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    rpiatt you make a good point. organic growth & also maximum profits. The problem is mainly for us power users. There are people who have never owned a Treo who will jump all over this thing. Especially now that Pam has a marketing initiative. The problem I have is Palm is so focused on releasing the next incremental upgrades but blatantly ignores the problems with current models. Crashing, freezing, lags, bluetooth dropping out & so on. And this is NOT only affecting power users. I have spoken to many normal everyday users which have no 3rd party apps installed & still face all of the problems. Sure Palm is releasing an MR but over a year later? Does this show they are that concerened with keeping current customers happy? No. They are concerned with selling as many Treos as possible & that's it. There has to be a better way to expose your product to the masses without all the collateral damage. For a lot of us Handspring set the pace & it is hard to let go of that. Every yeay, there was a major innovative upgrade. When there was a problem, a patch or fix was released in haste. Handspring seemed in tune with what we wanted & doing MORE than the competition. But that is what all these big businesses are about - release the least & try & make the most money from it. Because there is no alternative, we eat it up....
    Wake me up when Palm is relevant...scratch that, I'll be asleep forever.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    Wake me up when Palm is relevant...scratch that, I'll be asleep forever.
    I couldn't handle the silence Monkey Boy.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I couldn't handle the silence Monkey Boy.
    Fantastic signature, Stewie!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."

I know we are hoping for the Linux Treo before Christmas but we only have a glimspe of a new palm device (mystery device) that Jeff has said they will release this year. With the I-phone on their heels, palm needs to release the Treo Linux soon! It was almost two years from the release of the Treo 600 until we got the 700p but that makes 3 years since our phones have been less than perfect. It would sure be nice if the MR was a copy of the 755p ROM. I really do not think this will happen. Why no AD2P; they could have licensed the technology from Softick.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Probably not, mostly since MR's don't seem to ever be used to actually upgrade POS release. 700P uses 5.4, 755P uses 5.4.9 (similar to 680).
    I'm afraid you are not correct and accurate. Both 700p and 755p use the same Palm OS 5.4.9
    go to www.sprint.com and do your homework.

the 700p maintenance update should be released by now...or must be once the 755p is available for sale next week . Well at least that's my hope
    I wish this review didn't suck so bad.

Wow, its got google maps (a downloadable program) built right in! WOO HOO! The cons talked about in the article are many, and then the final word it doesn't talk about them.

Old school 700p phone app? No EVDO Rev A? Paid for Voice Commands? No stereo bluetooth?

The 700p's review cons are listed as not much improvement over the 650, and in this article it states that this is essentially a 700p without antenna... Is there really any reason to follow the treo world anymore

Edit: I can't wait until the linux os comes out, "Oh, im sorry, the linux os is tied too much into GSM to work on CDMA."
    Last edited by areyouwishing; 05/09/2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: adding additional rant
    Whats sad is my old A900 had free voice dialing, could also do text messaging via voice yet my $650 700p cant do that... Besides having a full sized keyboard and being able to run a few more applications I think my A900 was a smarter phone than the treo.. Did I mention that I could voice dial via bluetooth headset?
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Welcome to the forums as an active user rpiatt!

Now here's my reasoning behind the 755p and why I'd recommend to wait. Exactly a year ago Palm was releasing the 700p with pretty much the same level of rave reviews and positive feedback. So I went ahead and upgraded my dated 600 because of the 700p new features. As you can see, there are parallels here between you rcase and my case

However, soon after I purchased it the real gremlins in the device came out to hunt me. BT connectivity, lags/freezes, the well-known issues of the 700p that many users in the forum started complaining about, with justified reasons. A month after the release the BT problem was all but real, along with the other well known issues.

So my recommend for you is wait, if anything just a tad bit. There will be users who will be upgrading from the 700p to the 755p for whatever reasons. Let them play with the phone and then make statements about how improved things are already. And then pay attention to those claims and make up your mind, if the 755p is then your real choice or perhaps is time to look elsewhere.

I wouldn't want any new users to get crashed and burned as I did when I got this 700p and all of it associated nightmares. I mean, one spends real money on these devices, so it is better to make an extensive research before taking the plunge. Treocentral is a good community to get feedback on all Palm devices and of course, a month after the 755p is out the jury will make its final decision on the matter.

Good advice ...wait just a bit... these forums will provide you with an analysis of the phone after release no new / blog site could.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast