Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    rpiatt you are correct - it just hit me. It went from Treo 180-300-600 THOSE were TRUE upgrades. But look at the 600, 650, 700, 680, 700W, 700WX, 750, 755 - it is clear now that these are INCREMENTAL upgrades. There should be no major changes until it jumps to 900. So it's not Palm's fault per se. They just testing the waters. If people didn't buy these incremental upgrades, they would be forced to get the bigger change out the door faster. What a way to mazimize profits. Imagine if they went from 650 to 900. All that money they wouldn't make from the in between models. Makes perfect sense to me now. I still don't like Palm though. But come on within all these increments they couldn't add a flash to camera, add a wifi driver, or decent ringtones?
    You got me on the WiFi, althougth admittedly I am not sure where I'd use it these days other than home. out in the world, the "free" wifi spots are so limited or now cost money, the EVDO is likely the better option. WiFi for syncing while at home would be cool, so I dont' have to walk up to my home office and it does it anywhere in the house...

But you hit the nail on the head with the INCREMENTAL piece. This is totally a sell through and organic growth play. The 700p MR and the Linux OS announcement is where Palm is throwing the current 700p power users the proverbial "bone".

(To be fair, I haven't even bought this thing yet. I have a huge personal business communication/organization need and I don't know if I can wait until the "penguin" version comes out. I may get this 755p now and get the new OS later into next year after they have worked out any kinks in the first version (bound to happen, right?))

And thanks for the well thought out response. I lurked for months before even registering yesterday simply because of the zealots I usually see on here...
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiatt View Post
    You got me on the WiFi, althougth admittedly I am not sure where I'd use it these days other than home. out in the world, the "free" wifi spots are so limited or now cost money, the EVDO is likely the better option. WiFi for syncing while at home would be cool, so I dont' have to walk up to my home office and it does it anywhere in the house...

But you hit the nail on the head with the INCREMENTAL piece. This is totally a sell through and organic growth play. The 700p MR and the Linux OS announcement is where Palm is throwing the current 700p power users the proverbial "bone".

(To be fair, I haven't even bought this thing yet. I have a huge personal business communication/organization need and I don't know if I can wait until the "penguin" version comes out. I may get this 755p now and get the new OS later into next year after they have worked out any kinks in the first version (bound to happen, right?))

And thanks for the well thought out response. I lurked for months before even registering yesterday simply because of the zealots I usually see on here...
    :Highjack thread mode on:

Not sure what unit you have but if you have the 650 or the 700p, you can hotsync via BT from just about anywhere if your house if your PC is enabled.

I sync just about every night when I go to bed with my Treo on the table next to me and my laptop down stairs. (course again my laptop has a BT radio built in so that helps)

:Highjack thread mode off:
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    well another thing is upsetting for a lot of us is that even though it is clear that palm is upgrading incremnetally, we are now waiting a fill year at least for these minimal changes. We exepect (rightfully so) that after a year of waiting, there will be major changes - changes that are comparable to most basic cell phones. But I digress. I have gotten every Treo upgrade since the Treo 300 so I am partly to blame for supporting them with my dollars. Although I usually get a free upgrade through Sprint or I pay $100 or so. If Sprint allows me to upgrade to a 755 for free, of course I will. So I will B ! t c h & moan until the moon people tell me to shut it, but I will end up owning one anyway - what a hip-O-crit...
    well another thing is upsetting for a lot of us is that even though it is clear that palm is upgrading incremnetally, we are now waiting a fill year at least for these minimal changes. We exepect (rightfully so) that after a year of waiting, there will be major changes - changes that are comparable to most basic cell phones. But I digress. I have gotten every Treo upgrade since the Treo 300 so I am partly to blame for supporting them with my dollars. Although I usually get a free upgrade through Sprint or I pay $100 or so. If Sprint allows me to upgrade to a 755 for free, of course I will. So I will B ! t c h & moan until the moon people tell me to shut it, but I will end up owning one anyway - what a hip-O-crit...
    I got my 600 & my 700p as free upgrades through Sprint (gotta love that customer service), but I hope they dont upgrade me to the 755p...I wanna hold out for the Linux Treo!
    How do you get Sprint to give upgrades for free or low cost? They usually tell me to wait until I am eligible for the $150 rebate for having my phone for 2 years.
  6.    #46  
    One word, "Retentions".
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by enynite View Post
    How do you get Sprint to give upgrades for free or low cost? They usually tell me to wait until I am eligible for the $150 rebate for having my phone for 2 years.
    Yes, retentions can help if you make a fuss. But I just get upgrade due to my patience and faulty equipment (with the insurance plan, of course)!
    man -i so feel the same way ... i was on the train today wishing my 700 was as thin as the 755p ... and i've been ranting and raving right along w/ you
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    This 755p is the 700p with a diffrent name...the pro,s of upgrading to the 755p

Color choice
    No antenna
    smaller battery
    free google map pre installed
    and a little lighter
    another Garnet band-Aid

Ive come to the conclusion that Palm has subliminal messages in the garent OS that has hypnotized the garnet users lol
    Snap out of it,wake up...The 755p is the 700p...your really getting nothing more but headaches.
    How about this for BS from Sprint?

I didn't bother taking the $75 credit last year when I got my 700p. I figured I was close to the 2 year mark and would wait and get the $150 to renew or when I got my next phone since it appeared that there were new models in the near future.

So now I called Sprint just to feel them out in anticipation of the 755p. Well, they told me I'm only eligible for $75 and that I have to wait two years from when I got the 700p for the $150! They've got to be kidding. I bought the phone outright from Palm...Sprint gave me nothing towards it...no way my 2 years should have reset again if I provided my own phone.

And I've been with them since the Treo 300 days.

I'll get a bit more "creative" when they actually have the 755p available. Worse case, I cancel and re-activate under another family member name if need be.
    Yep! It depends on how long your phone has been active. I recieved a 700 as a warranty replacement for my 650 because they didn't have any 650's and my 2 yr clock started over. Crazy!!
    Unbelievable! Makes me even angrier!!!

Looks like I may have to explore a new member ID in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Yep! It depends on how long your phone has been active. I recieved a 700 as a warranty replacement for my 650 because they didn't have any 650's and my 2 yr clock started over. Crazy!!
    You should have fought that. Warranty and insurance replacements don't renew your contract or start over the period for the handset upgrade program. It doesn't matter if you got an upgrade because they didn't have your phone as a replacement anymore. You got screwed, and should have gotten that taken care of.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser View Post
    How about this for BS from Sprint?

I didn't bother taking the $75 credit last year when I got my 700p. I figured I was close to the 2 year mark and would wait and get the $150 to renew or when I got my next phone since it appeared that there were new models in the near future.

So now I called Sprint just to feel them out in anticipation of the 755p. Well, they told me I'm only eligible for $75 and that I have to wait two years from when I got the 700p for the $150! They've got to be kidding. I bought the phone outright from Palm...Sprint gave me nothing towards it...no way my 2 years should have reset again if I provided my own phone.

And I've been with them since the Treo 300 days.

I'll get a bit more "creative" when they actually have the 755p available. Worse case, I cancel and re-activate under another family member name if need be.
    It is based on how long you have had a particular phone activiated, no matter where you got it from. Gotta love those loopholes! But, if you didnt renew your contract, then it should still expire in the time you had left, which gives you the best leverage to get a phone at the discounted advertised price!
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    It is based on how long you have had a particular phone activiated, no matter where you got it from. Gotta love those loopholes! But, if you didnt renew your contract, then it should still expire in the time you had left, which gives you the best leverage to get a phone at the discounted advertised price!
    This is not correct, read my post above. For example, I had my Treo 600 replaced under warranty four times. The last time it was replaced with a 650 at a Sprint Store in January 2005. I renewed my contract by a year to get the 650 instead of another 600, but it didn't push back my HUP status because it was a warranty replacement. I just filed a claim on my 650 a couple weeks ago and got a new (refurb) one through insurance, and it still didn't push my HUP status back. When I check online, it says I'm eligible for the $150 rebate as of 8/1/05. That's based off when I got my first Treo 600 several years ago which was the last phone I activated on my account that I actually purchased.

Warranty and insurance replacements to NOT reset your HUP status.
    You mustve found a loophole for your account. Yes, replacement of the same phone doesnt reset your Upgrade status, but a change to a different device does. If that isnt right, then I guess I havent been informed correctly, but all I have to go by is my own situation. When I got my 700p (free upgrade due to insurance), it was reset since it was a new device. But I guess mileage will vary...not everyone has had a free upgrade!
    To add more inconsistencies I've changed the model of the phone on my 3rd line about 4 times, but the date hasn't been pushed back once. I think the date is still consistent with when I 1st set up the line and got the free phone for it.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    To add more inconsistencies I've changed the model of the phone on my 3rd line about 4 times, but the date hasn't been pushed back once. I think the date is still consistent with when I 1st set up the line and got the free phone for it.
    That's Sprint for you. Call five times, talk to five people, ask one question, get five answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    You mustve found a loophole for your account. Yes, replacement of the same phone doesnt reset your Upgrade status, but a change to a different device does. If that isnt right, then I guess I havent been informed correctly, but all I have to go by is my own situation. When I got my 700p (free upgrade due to insurance), it was reset since it was a new device. But I guess mileage will vary...not everyone has had a free upgrade!
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $letsgoflyers$ $is$ $correct$. $If$ $you$ $phone$ $is$ $replaced$ $by$ $either$ $the$ $manufacturer$'$s$ $warranty$ $or$ $via$ $TEP$ $and$ $the$ $phone$ $they$ $have$ $to$ $replace$ $it$ $with$ $is$ $NOT$ $the$ $same$ $model$ $as$ $the$ $customer$ $previously$ $had$, $then$ $it$ $should$ $NOT$ $reset$ $your$ $subscriber$ $contract$ $or$ $your$ $handset$ $warranty$ $upgrade$ $discount$. $However$, $since$ $Sprint$ $CS$ $is$ $usually$ $pretty$ $retarded$ $you$ $probably$ $would$ $have$ $to$ $fight$ $them$ $mostly$ $likely$ $on$ $this$ $point$ $I$ $agree$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $letsgoflyers$ $is$ $correct$. $If$ $you$ $phone$ $is$ $replaced$ $by$ $either$ $the$ $manufacturer$'$s$ $warranty$ $or$ $via$ $TEP$ $and$ $the$ $phone$ $they$ $have$ $to$ $replace$ $it$ $with$ $is$ $NOT$ $the$ $same$ $model$ $as$ $the$ $customer$ $previously$ $had$, $then$ $it$ $should$ $NOT$ $reset$ $your$ $subscriber$ $contract$ $or$ $your$ $handset$ $warranty$ $upgrade$ $discount$. $However$, $since$ $Sprint$ $CS$ $is$ $usually$ $pretty$ $retarded$ $you$ $probably$ $would$ $have$ $to$ $fight$ $them$ $mostly$ $likely$ $on$ $this$ $point$ $I$ $agree$...
    Damn! I need to get on the phone...or better yet, go to my trusted rep!! See, you learn something new everyday!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast