Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    IM client , for me, makes it extremely tempting. However, what will keep me away:
    1- lack of real hardware improvemnts (GPS? WiFi? Process improvements? Storage?)
    2-The bugs I still have w/ my 700P

Why buy a new phone, when the last one I bought from the same company still doesn't work right ???? Why 'waste' more money?

I was waitng for this annoucment to make a decision - time to start searching these boards and reading the Win Mmobile review ... if I'm going to buy a new phone (w/ all the same specs), then it's time to try a new OS, a leave the P OS bugs behind.
    Why would the IM client make the 755p tempting over the 700p? You can spend $20 on an IM application rather than $280 - $600 for a new Treo. I really don't get why anyone would get the 755p if they already have a 700p. 650 or below, absolutely, but not for a 700p.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    So based on the $280 price, shouldn't I hypothetically be able to trade in my 650 for a $150 credit and get the 755 for $130? If that's the case, I might consider it.
    Seeing how I don't have a Treo yet (older Palm devices) and am a Sprint/Nextel customer that wants a Treo (2 actually, one for my wife), this device is perfect for me. I was going to buy a 680 but all the stores kept telling me that they had been phased out. This device lets me just update my contract and not worry about trying to terminate it.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Palm might be gone by then....
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    The rumors about the new device at D Conference are it will use Sprints Wimax and no one knows the form factor. Will probably run the new Palm Linux and look for it at the end of the year.

Again all of this is rumor except for Jeff Hawkins discussing it a the D Conference.
    Hmmmm. This makes the decision to dive in with a 755p a little tougher. I would hate to drop $280 now and be compelled to spend another $300 or $400 dollars later this year.

At the same time, am I really going to keep my 650 for THREE years just because I am waiting on the next big thing?

Anyone else having this internal debate?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman View Post
    So based on the $280 price, shouldn't I hypothetically be able to trade in my 650 for a $150 credit and get the 755 for $130? If that's the case, I might consider it.
    Good questions! So far it says $280 after renewing your contract for two years. So, I bet that the $280 is after the $150 credit! I sure do hope I am wrong!
    The phone will be $280 after rebates and $150 credit.. So your looking at $280+100+150 so somewhere around $530-600 list price.

From best buy.. The price is $299 with a 2 year contract. or $599.99 without.
    I'm having the same debate, but leaning towards either keeping the 650 or buying a USED 700P (with the coming patch) for about the same price as the 755P (avoiding re-upping the contract) and hoping that the next device (Hawking device) is worth it. I think I'll just plug along with my 650 a bit more. If it dies, I'll have to look on ebay for an old 700P.

That way I'd save my upgrading credit on Verizon for something I really would want.

I guess the straw that broke the camel's back was the mini-SD card. The battery issues can be solved by 3rd-party solutions bringing us a bigger battery. No chance Verizon's model will be a 756P, with the regular SD card?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Why would the IM client make the 755p tempting over the 700p? You can spend $20 on an IM application rather than $280 - $600 for a new Treo. I really don't get why anyone would get the 755p if they already have a 700p. 650 or below, absolutely, but not for a 700p.

I totally agree - "650 or below, absolutely, but not for a 700p".

As a far as the IM -- I persoanly put a high value on a quality IM program. I miss Vericaht terrible. I've tried four other programs, and have been diappointed w/ all. All 4 casued some kind of OS bug/problem - i'm sure they were not playing well w/ another program I have.

having an IM bundeled w/ the phone gives me more confidence it will work w/o bugs - I'm not very technically, so this is important for me
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Not a chance! This would be a step backward IMO from my 750. I think the 750 is the best smartphone out there now. After working with WM5 ( and soon WM6 ) I have seen the light and will never go back to the dated POS.
    I'm not going to get it. I don't think its a bad release for Palm though. It just doesn't fit my upgrade criteria. I have a short list of features I need to see before I upgrade. (Bluetooth 2.0, Voice dialing over bluetooth, A2DP from 750, Upgraded browser, EVDO Rev. A, Built in GPS, New phone app). The 755p implements none of them. As a 650 user there is some value in getting it. Camera, EVDO, memory, nice built-in apps. But Palm left out just enough to make it not worth my while. I would like to get the new form factor and memory but that's about it. It does come in at a decent price though. That's a win for Palm. I see no reason that they can't ship the ROM of the 755p as the MR for the 700p. I hope they do that. It'll make a lot of people happy and won't really cost them anything. I'm curious to see Verizon's version. Thanks to SAG and my new HT820 stereo headphones, I'm even more content to stay with my 650.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I for one will get one for sure. I agree, thats not an upgrade for 700p users, but for people like me, 650 owners, its a dream come true.
    On a different note, I'd say, 755 to 700 on Sprint is 680 to 650 on Cingular. The real new line of products would come out close to the end of the year.
    Loving the burgundy color! It looks more subtle and classier than the crimson 680.
    Also, I don't think it's a worthy upgrade from the point of the 700p users, but for those new to smartphonesk, new to Palms, or from those migrating from a 650 or older model, it is definitely a nice release. Perhaps Palm is going for a broader market by fine tuning the 700p, make cosmetic alterations, and improving the user experience. This should definitely sway those who were previously dumb-phone users. This is perhaps a similar strategy to the early marketing campaigns of the Treo 680 where Palm was targeting the everyday soccer moms and the dads who coach baseball. These people form a broader market segment that Palm has yet to really tap into. The 755p should help Palm tap the consumer market...now if the price was a bit lower, like the 680, it would help Palm gain more traction.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    $280 on a contract is a great price, I think that alone will help some people make the move. Better than the $499 and $399 price tags previous "high end" treos have sold for.
    Believe it or not, I think the $280 is the price with $80 monthly fee ($40 for voice and $40 for data or something like that). $450 is the possible price when bundle with voice only $40 monthly plan.

My sister needs to get a new phone and I will convince her to get one when Verizon offer it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vixensjlin View Post
    Believe it or not, I think the $280 is the price with $80 monthly fee ($40 for voice and $40 for data or something like that). $450 is the possible price when bundle with voice only $40 monthly plan.

My sister needs to get a new phone and I will convince her to get one when Verizon offer it.

Isn't there also a loyalty discount ??
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    The consumer is going to love the battery life=ouch.. with the same setup as the 700p...revA no such thing, another garnet Band-aid..wow what a pda...Come on people wake up.Dont get riped off again.
    Unbelievable. We treo users used to demand legitimate improvements in our phones before upgrading. Now it seems we'll take anything they throw at us.

If I were to upgrade from my 650, here's what I'd need to justify it:

1) gps
    2) evdo
    3) bluetooth 2.0
    4) 128 - 256 mb ram
    5) Sd slot ( not this mini sd crap)
    6) updated web browser
    7) updated PIM applications - improved and enhanced.
    8) 6 hr battery life on full day's use
    9)crash proof & lag free OS.
    10) linux or new palm os.
    11) quality speakerphone.
    12) 400 - 524 mhz processor.

You've gotta have these features 2.5 years following the 650's release! come on, folks!

ev-do isn't even ubiquitous yet, so unless you're constantly within evdo range, you're going back to regular slower browsing speeds!
    also, the 700p is a flawed device on top of it all with the bluetooth / ptunes lag and all that....

I tell ya, its just incredible how little palm has to do and what they don't have to produce quality wise anymore for the market to eat up.

I'm shakin' my head at all this hoopla here. Treoneo, I'm with ya, brother. Believe me.
    Quote Originally Posted by slwatts View Post
    Hmmmm. This makes the decision to dive in with a 755p a little tougher. I would hate to drop $280 now and be compelled to spend another $300 or $400 dollars later this year.

At the same time, am I really going to keep my 650 for THREE years just because I am waiting on the next big thing?

Anyone else having this internal debate?
    I am. I think the device later this year will be closer to $750 especially if you renew your contract now. I also think it's likely to be late and buggy. It probaly will only work really well in special WiMax areas. Which means about 5 years until I can take advantage of it. So I may go with the 755P because it's better than what I have and I have a ton of software. I'll probably kick myself though for not waiting for a Sprint Win Mobile 6 device.
    I know people are not supposed to regard this as an upgrade but rather a "replacement" device.

However I still just think they could have done quite a bit more on the 755p to make it even worthy of its status as a replacement model!

did I read the specs correctly where they state that the battery is smaller than the 700p?
    no ad2p? or ev-do rev A?

I realize I'm ranting here, but I'm really having difficulty stomaching palm anymore.

In my book, hawkins' device is their last chance.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast