Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Well, count this 650 owner as wanting one bad, and the $280 sounds like a real bargain when you look at when the other models came out. I love the POS because it is extremely user friendly and I've been using it forever. The biggest reasons I will upgrade is the high speed internet (I use PDAnet alot) and the better camera. Everyone complains how little of an upgrade Palm is giving us....just goes to show you how far ahead they were with the previous models. Think about it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    ...Everyone complains how little of an upgrade Palm is giving us....just goes to show you how far ahead they were with the previous models. Think about it.
    They WERE ahead, but have been clinging to a narrow lead, at best! Times change, and even though I prefer Palm over WinMo, you can say that Palm is ahead like they used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Everyone complains how little of an upgrade Palm is giving us....just goes to show you how far ahead they were with the previous models. Think about it.
    In terms of hardware Palm was NEVER ahead on specs.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    Ok, but POS never required the same horespower and memory to run as a WinMob device.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Ok, but POS never required the same horespower and memory to run as a WinMob device.
    That should go without saying, considering POS isnt as capable as WinMo (again, coming from a POS user for the last 4+years)! Size = Power!
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    as u read the replys is becomes more and more obvious - 650 owners will be upgrading while 700 owners r fustrated.

Maybe this was palms plan ...

Iím in Europe where EVDO is useless so I'm not upgrading to this BS.. My 650 is fine. But if I did buy another Palm device id maybe get a 700p or the 680 at a really low price just for the hell of having the extra memory; However, since I know it would be a waist of money the truth is, its unlikely.

The bottom line is, Iím ready for an upgrade now and would rather spend $500 on something else with Wi-fi and a decent amount of memory than spend $200+ on another Palm device.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    That's because Palm has always supposedly been about the 'whole' user experience....recall the whole "zen of palm" yeah?

Personally, I really don't give a flying crap about zen anymore if it means never having wifi, integrated gps and etc...! Palm isn't just behind in specs these days...jees they're like in Luddite land or something.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Personally, I really don't give a flying crap about zen anymore if it means never having wifi, integrated gps and etc...! Palm isn't just behind in specs these days...jees they're like in Luddite land or something.
    I happened to find my Treo 180 box the other day. It still says Wi-Fi on it. Its been a very long wait
    I would buy it if it comes to Verizon
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    ha ! Treo 180 box actually said Wi-Fi ... now that's funny
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I remember Palm CEO saying Wi-Fi would be available for the 650 too.
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    I remember Palm CEO saying Wi-Fi would be available for the 650 too.
    That one i remember... there were a number of threads here about it. I wasn't a a Palm fan back in the 180 days. it just goes to show how long the most loyal palm customers have been waiting.
    da Gimp

Don't you think that Google PAYS them $omething to put their map program into ROM? Great way to promote themselves, and Palm makes some money as well.

Just my opinion, but gotta believe SOMEONE pays for placement!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Why the fuss about Google Maps in ROM especially when there is no GPS support? Palm, it's FREE!!!
    RJuhl
    I wonder also, if the carriers don't resist offering WiFi - if I can use my phone via WiFi, why would I pay for unlimited data? I suspect that has a lot to do with Palm not making WiFi a feature. Might be wrong, but .......

Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreen View Post
    You guys need to let the Wi-Fi thing go. Don't you see that Palm sees this feature as redundant. Why would they waste space (another chip) and battery life giving us Wi-Fi when wireless phone networks continue to grow and evolve. The only time I'm going to use Wi-Fi is at home or some hot spot. I don't know about you but if I'm at home, there's no way I'm browsing using Blazer instead of a laptop. Ever. And if I'm not home I'm going to use my carrier data connection. I don't know. I just don't see why so many people want it.
    RJuhl
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    I wonder also, if the carriers don't resist offering WiFi - if I can use my phone via WiFi, why would I pay for unlimited data? I suspect that has a lot to do with Palm not making WiFi a feature. Might be wrong, but .......
    No, It's engineering and possibly the POS that are preventing WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreen View Post
    You guys need to let the Wi-Fi thing go. Don't you see that Palm sees this feature as redundant. Why would they waste space (another chip) and battery life giving us Wi-Fi when wireless phone networks continue to grow and evolve. The only time I'm going to use Wi-Fi is at home or some hot spot. I don't know about you but if I'm at home, there's no way I'm browsing using Blazer instead of a laptop. Ever. And if I'm not home I'm going to use my carrier data connection. I don't know. I just don't see why so many people want it.

Since Treos are more or less for business users & many of them travel overseas, It’s in the owners & corporations best interest to allow them to connect without getting hit with insane data rates.

When you end up spending $150.00 or more a month depending on how critical it is that you have access to your email it pisses you off. In the case of a person who needs 24-7 access I can easily see that costing $300.00 (probably much more) a month and the math says, "Why pay so much a month when you can simply spend that money on another device that has Wi-Fi".

This is my reality, now can you see?
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 05/12/2007 at 03:48 PM.
    Do you hear that distant rumbling? Feel the steadily gathering quake beneath your feet?

The sound of REAL innovation approaches.. Secure your doors and batten down the hatches, palm.....

the IPHONE cometh......

Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Do you hear that distant rumbling? Feel the steadily gathering quake beneath your feet?

The sound of REAL innovation approaches.. Secure your doors and batten down the hatches, palm.....

the IPHONE cometh......

drama
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    the IPHONE cometh......
    The iPhone is not in direct competition with Palm's core customer base....true that there is a small contingent of power/sophisticated personal users who may jump ship, but not enough for Palm to be concerned about.

Palm's "real" competitor is RIM....who have out innovated and out styled Palm with their recent offerings. If RIM were to offer a CDMA "83xx Curve"-like device with touch screen and EVDO, it's 'good night' for the Treo.
    amen. tired of listening to ipod fanboys. I'd take a Samsung f700 over it any day.

and as for WIFI, I'd rather use a faster wifi connection when I can especially in places where my signal quality is so-so or nonexistent. I spend time in hospitals where I don't get a great signal, but they have public wifi. I spend time at Panera where wifi is free as well as more and more coffeehouse type places, and I spend time in hotels that have free wifi as well. If I am at home and not on my laptop, I'd also rather connect via wifi to check email and such.

Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    The iPhone is not in direct competition with Palm's core customer base....true that there is a small contingent of power/sophisticated personal users who may jump ship, but not enough for Palm to be concerned about.

Palm's "real" competitor is RIM....who have out innovated and out styled Palm with their recent offerings. If RIM were to offer a CDMA "83xx Curve"-like device with touch screen and EVDO, it's 'good night' for the Treo.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast