Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    uhhh...why does everyone think this is supposed to be an "upgrade" for the 700p? Didn't we all know that the 755p was just to replace the 700p? Wasn't there a press release that Palm was going to standardize the hadware and software platform to make Palm products more affordable? The 755p fits this strategy and answers why the 700p was EOL'ed... to fit Palm's stadardization of the 750, 680 and now 755. The writing was already on the wall, I guess we just all hoped for an evelotionary miracle device from Palm. That may yet come with a Linux device.
    Oh wait! With this "upgrade" you also "get" to buy new SD cards!

Wow thanks palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    uhhh...why does everyone think this is supposed to be an "upgrade" for the 700p? Didn't we all know that the 755p was just to replace the 700p? Wasn't there a press release that Palm was going to standardize the hadware and software platform to make Palm products more affordable? The 755p fits this strategy and answers why the 700p was EOL'ed... to fit Palm's stadardization of the 750, 680 and now 755. The writing was already on the wall, I guess we just all hoped for an evelotionary miracle device from Palm. That may yet come with a Linux device.
    They dont want to hear that this wasnt an upgrade, but a replacement. The power-user's replacement will come in the form of the Linux Treo! Save your breath and let them rant!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Is there a Blackberry store nearby?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I have to agree to the above. As a 700p owner, I am actually HAPPY that 755p is an incremental upgrade rather than revolutionary. Imagine if 755p has the all the goodies that 700p doesn't, the value of our 700p's will go down like a rock. I'll never be able to sell my 700p with good money to pay for my next device should I want to replace it. Now I am reassured that my 700p, with the promised ROM update in a few weeks, will still worth quite a bit.

I also don't see anything that we current 700p owners are losing out. If Palm releases the 755p without the ROM upgrade for 700p, then we should be furious. Other than the form factor and a couple of things, in a few weeks our 700p is going to be essentially the same as a 755p.

Having said all that, Palm should however seriously line up their product map with the competitions as Treo 755p is surely behind the curve.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Having said all that, Palm should however seriously line up their product map with the competitions as Treo 755p is surely behind the curve.
    I agree as well. I still think that Palm 700p is the best of all worlds. Anything that a BB can do, so can the 700p + is has a touch screen (ok no WiFi but what is it really used for??), the main factor keeping me from a BB device....but the competition is catching up and Palm should take heed.
    I think the competitons is ahead, not catching up.

Granted, as a business tool, the Treo is beyond compariision. But, as a consumer device, it's fallen behind. Examples:

1- Form: look at the Q, the Dash and blackjack. This is what the mainstream consumer wants. Treo does not have it.

2- Function: IM
    How can the sidekick have a better integrated IM then a Treo? (755p Im program not availlable yet)

3- Function: E-mail
    Sure. Treo gives you lot's of options, great for a technically savey peroson, or for business distrabution to employees. However, the mianstream consumer wants ease. One word: Blackberry.

4- Function: Music/Video
    Treo does awesome video - I think the best. But Music ? There is a major desire for Music phones (thus the crappy chocalte selling 10 million - source engadget). Treo may have a great music program, but, ror the average cosnsumer it's insufficent. It's needs to be Ipod / Zune like w/ a PC based program. (I realize this is a streach)

5- hardware: GPS
    We all want it - granted few other phones have it - but it's out there and the Treo, a top of the line Smart Phone should have it

6- hardware: WiFi
    the Samsung i700 has it? and a treo does not ?? No excuse. We, treocentral memebers know why, OS issues, but it's not acceptable for the general consumer who knows little about OS's and just wants a great phone

7- harware: Other's
    Bluetooth 2.0, Harddrive space (Iphone wil lhave 4 or 8gigs?), side scroll device (blacknberry). These are not foriegn requestsd, but now common features

Granted - this is all agumentative. I'm approaching this from a Consumer, reguler users (not superuser) point of view. However, i think it is a fair, based on the other products available (which i have mentioned)

(PS - Personal note: I don't think i've ever posted so much in one day - i guess this annoucement really got me going)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Everyone wants different things in their device. Putting out a smartphone is an exercise in compromise. I think Palm is trying to grow their customer base by appealing to the most people possible. My 650 is 2 years old and I do stuff with it to this day that just stuns some people. Palm had one goal with this device. Standardize the hardware form factor. They wanted to prove that they could drop in whatever OS they choose while keeping the hardware identical. They did it. The fruits of this will probably come later with simultaneous launches of new phones. With the 8XX model treo, we'll probably get both flavors at the same time.
    You guys need to let the Wi-Fi thing go. Don't you see that Palm sees this feature as redundant. Why would they waste space (another chip) and battery life giving us Wi-Fi when wireless phone networks continue to grow and evolve. The only time I'm going to use Wi-Fi is at home or some hot spot. I don't know about you but if I'm at home, there's no way I'm browsing using Blazer instead of a laptop. Ever. And if I'm not home I'm going to use my carrier data connection. I don't know. I just don't see why so many people want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreen View Post
    You guys need to let the Wi-Fi thing go. Don't you see that Palm sees this feature as redundant. Why would they waste space (another chip) and battery life giving us Wi-Fi when wireless phone networks continue to grow and evolve. The only time I'm going to use Wi-Fi is at home or some hot spot. I don't know about you but if I'm at home, there's no way I'm browsing using Blazer instead of a laptop. Ever. And if I'm not home I'm going to use my carrier data connection. I don't know. I just don't see why so many people want it.
    w/ o starting yet another wi/fi thread some, you said a key word: Home. Alot of power users are mobile professionals, who are not at home, and could use the additional speed. File downloads, direct connection to other equipment, etc could be very handy
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreen View Post
    Totally agree and don't understand all the fuss about WiFi. Although I it would be a nice convenience for use at home. WiFi is either not ubiquitous enough and/or no open APs available to make a difference elsewhere. WiFi is a battery life disaster. Perhaps the answer is in Wimax?
    Why did Sprint even take such a stupid device on after the sadness of the 700p...Not to be the garnet crasher guys and gals but go WM...you will not regret .The WX is the most stable ppc on the market today f,sure.....go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Why did Sprint even take such a stupid device on after the sadness of the 700p...Not to be the garnet crasher guys and gals but go WM...you will not regret .The WX is the most stable ppc on the market today f,sure.....go for it.
    to be honest, I have devices with both OS's and have been in favor of Windows based devices for a while. However as a smart phone platform I prefer POS over WinMob for ease and usability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Boooooooooo.

Palm, you had a year to work on this and this is the best you could come up with? I guess my 650 is getting some more use.

lol so true. but my 650s bulk is starting to get to me.
    only thing ill go for is a 700p but, not for a penny over $130.00
    as u read the replys is becomes more and more obvious - 650 owners will be upgrading while 700 owners r fustrated.

Maybe this was palms plan ...
    da Gimp

not this 650 owner. nope. Even coming from a 650 I don't see that thing as even close to a worthy upgrade.

If I was a first time treo user who never bought a palm product before, I would try it, but as a stepup to a 650? absolutely not.

$280 for a little more memory, evdo (rev 0), another so-so camera and shorter battery life? absolute waste of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    as u read the replys is becomes more and more obvious - 650 owners will be upgrading while 700 owners r fustrated.

Maybe this was palms plan ...
    Not me. I didn't get the 700p because it wasn't much of an upgrade, why would I get the 755p? I don't care about what shape the device is, I care about what's inside it.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    For everyone thats complaining, the 755p just shows how limited the current palm os really is. It cant support EVDO Rev A bc it lacks inherent multitasking. Memory and processor are fine as it is. The form factor is just based on the WM 750 to cut down on costs. As some have stated, this is a REPLACEMENT not a true upgrade. Look at the pricepoint, its fairly cheap for a smartphone with a touchscreen. The true upgrade will be the linux POS devices bc that OS will be able to support alot more powerful features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Not me. I didn't get the 700p because it wasn't much of an upgrade, why would I get the 755p? I don't care about what shape the device is, I care about what's inside it.
    Thus the spirtual union .....
    da Gimp

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast