1.    #1  
    After updating my Treo 680 with the Camera Update put out by Palm a few months ago, my Treo seemed to not lose battery life as fast, but that seems to not be the case anymore.

For at least a month now, my 680's battery is nearly drained by the time I go to bed at night. This is with nominal use during the day.

Is anyone else noticing this with the camera update??

-Oceanier
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Are you talking about nominal usage from 6:30am to 11:30pm? if so, even with the battery update that's as long as my Treo 680 lasts. When I turn on Exchange Messaging for push email, my battery life gets cut by almost half.

I wish Palm would release a rom that had the battery and Versamail updates. But, realistically, I don't see them doing that. By now, Palm has figured out that once they release a rom update and the tools to do it, they will release a floodgate of custom rom options and of course bricked Treo 680s. It would not surprise me in the least if a Treo 690 Linux comes out with all the latest fixes and software and the 680 gets left behind. (sadly)

We'll just have to wait and see!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    Yes, around that time frame. I don't have it pushing email to my phone, but I do have my Versamail checking my AOL account every hour which maybe depleting the battery. I've been doing this for a short time though, and it was still dying before that.

I agree we will have to see if Palm releases a ROM update to fix all of these things. With Access taking over PalmSource, I wouldn't be surprised if they either released a Treo 690 using Palm OS with a Linux backend, or just sent out a major OS upgrade, with the latter being more of a slim chance.

The 680 is a "comfortable" phone, but my old 650 definitely was much better in performance.

-Oceanier
    Mine seems pretty steady now. Even with a few calls, email checks, and light use,I've been at 80+% at the end of the day (7:30 - 11:30pm).

Other days, with pretty much the same use, I'm at 50-60% (might be that supposed "bug" about a battery drain if you don't press the red end-call button after someone calls you?)
    Quote Originally Posted by rener View Post
    Mine seems pretty steady now. Even with a few calls, email checks, and light use,I've been at 80+% at the end of the day (7:30 - 11:30pm).

Other days, with pretty much the same use, I'm at 50-60% (might be that supposed "bug" about a battery drain if you don't press the red end-call button after someone calls you?)
    Yes, I agree, I think this bug (TGP) is probably the main culprit that causes high battery drain in instances where the 680 is not being constantly used. If you dont always make sure you press the red button at the end of a call, you almost certainly WILL have a higher battery drain at least until you receive another call. A good way to directly measure if you are losing more battery charge than you should be in standby is to install battery.prc and check the graph every now and then. If the graph shows a low of well below 10mA, then all is OK. Mine usually drops to around 3mA in standby, but when it is suffering from TGP, it always stays above 10mA. If you install this software, make sure you uncheck the poll battery in sleep mode, because this costs battery power.
  6.    #6  
    Sheesh!! Thanks for the tip. I know I'm guilty of not always pressing the red-end call button but that is due to the recipient hanging up before me sometimes. If this is a recognizable bug, it definitely needs to be patched.

IF ANYONE FROM PALM IS READING THIS....GET A DAMN OS PATCH OUT FOR THE 680 SOMETIME IN THIS CENTURY.
    Yep, it is very frustrating that Palm have done nothing about this. It has been known for almost 3 months now, and has been discussed on this and other forums. Not sure how long it takes to sort out a problem like that and issue a patch - but hopefully someone is at least working on it. TGP is manageable when you know what to look for, but I am sure most people would not know about it.
    Last edited by DIG; 05/09/2007 at 05:01 AM.
    The Camera in my unlocked 680 is useless on Red colours.

Anything red comes out a shade of Brown

I swapped the 680 for another one, via Palm, but it's the same.???

I have tried it after a hard reset and have the same problem, so it's not a 3rd party software problem.

My 650 camera was fine.

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm tempted to use that old 650 app to try adjusting the colour levels, but it carries a Treo health warning, which is a bit worrying
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    The Camera in my unlocked 680 is useless on Red colours.

Anything red comes out a shade of Brown

I swapped the 680 for another one, via Palm, but it's the same.???

I have tried it after a hard reset and have the same problem, so it's not a 3rd party software problem.

My 650 camera was fine.

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm tempted to use that old 650 app to try adjusting the colour levels, but it carries a Treo health warning, which is a bit worrying
    Muddy reds is serious enough to swap hardware to try to correct, but horrible lens with defractions, vignetting, and warped focus areas, as well as very poor fine detail is fine?

The camera is useless. Period.
    You all worry me - I hope the 680 is good in some areas!
    I am still waiting for delivery of my 680, which is a replacement for my trusty old 600 - should I have not made such a high jump, but stopped at the 650 maybe??!
    The 680 is great. Ignore the camera.