Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by eafenyes View Post
    I have this same system. When it works it's great. However, sometimes it takes a really long time to lock onto the GPS signal, up to 2 or 3 minutes when I first start up. I wonder if this is unique to the Seidio cradle or if other receivers also have this problem.
    I've got TomTom5 with the Tomtom reciever bundle. This happens as well. sometimes it takes 5 minutes to lock on to all the necessary sattelites (there are always 3 that lock on right away).

Other than that, I love TT when using actual addesses (I had a bad POI incident once). I haven't upgraded to TT6 because I don't think I need to. But if someone points out a major feature upgrade avalable in TT6, then I probably will do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerual96 View Post
    Route is downloaded at the time of request so even if you go out of service you stay connected to your route, as long as you don't go off course. I guess it goes back to usage and location. I'm in large cities or major highways most of the time so I've never had an issue.

Your point about the expense is valid, but at the time I didn't care for the TT solution (no spoken street names). Garmin 10x or whatever doesn't work on the 650. My breakeven point is about 2 years out so I was willing to wait for something down the road.
    What about the map? Or is the route the directions+map? If so, wow, that must be large. Maybe not, if it just downloads an area around the direct route and it's not too long a drive.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    My understanding is it downloads the map and directions when requesting a route. I've never had a memory issue or noticed any rogue cache files. Looks to me that it deletes the map when you back out of the route page. When you pull up a map you can see the tiles being loaded so my guess is the routing maps work the same way by loading the map for the intended direction once.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerual96 View Post
    Garmin 10x or whatever doesn't work on the 650.
    Works fine for me. Early versions of the Mobile XT software were marginal, but the last 2 releases are fine. It's still a memory hog, however, and if you have a lot of applications you'll have to move as many as possible to the SD card.
    Has anyone tried the Mapquest Navigator GPS? I just saw it in the Mapquest website - the demo looks good. Check it out: http://www.mapquest.com/features/mai...bile_navigator
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I just picked up TomTom 6 with a Holux M1000 receiver. I have to say that I really am impressed with both these. This solution works ever bit as well as the standalone units I've used in rental cars recently.
  7. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enynite View Post
    I've got TomTom5 with the Tomtom reciever bundle. This happens as well. sometimes it takes 5 minutes to lock on to all the necessary sattelites (there are always 3 that lock on right away).

Other than that, I love TT when using actual addesses (I had a bad POI incident once). I haven't upgraded to TT6 because I don't think I need to. But if someone points out a major feature upgrade avalable in TT6, then I probably will do it.
    I upgraded to TomTom6 because I can now have one big map with the whole country on it. It does slow down somewhat, but for me it's enough of a convenience that I deal with it.
    I recently purchase the TomTom 6 for my Treo 650. It has got to be the best add on for my Treo yet. The gps unit that came with it last about 8 hours without a recharge. It holds a cell phone battery and came with a "Y" charging cable to charge my phone & GPS unit at the same time. It is the Palm GPS Navigator 3263NA.

There are a couple of cons I have:
    1. I wish the POI options were better. With the stand alone Garmin device I got for my wife, I can type in the name of the POI and the unit tells me where the nearest one is and continues to load the next one down the list until I choose one. With my TomTom 6 this option does not seem to work. I was in Santa Anna, CA and could not find an Office Depot. The system just does not let you search by POI from what I could tell. Or maybe there just wasn't one close enough to me.
    2. I am currently using the card that came with it and need to put it on a larger card so I can use music with it at the same time.
    3. The Treo 650 only lets you use 1 bluetooth device at a time so I can not use my BT head set to talk on the phone while using the TomTom software. It kicks the TomTom off and I have to go back to the software after the call. I'm actually thinking about upgrading my phone to the Treo 700 just to get past this one.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the system, just the POI option is driving me nuts. I have decided to load up the TomTom website with my POI's in hope that they will improve this feature to work like my Garmin device.

If someone know a better way, please let me know.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Treo 650
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12