Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Hi. What's the difference between using SMS, and MMS. I did notice that with MMS I can send attachments? ... but on my 650, I am limited in how many characters I can type in SMS. Why is that? Does it matter to Verizon which messaging I use. Please forgive my Naivete, but my prior phones were just "text" .. no other options. --- But I do love the 650. Thanks.
    SMS has its own independent means of transmission over a phone connection and is limited to text, while MMS uses a data connection (GPRS, in case of GSM phones) to transmit the message, and hence can handle a lot more than just text.

Both are "patchwork" to get you to pay more money to the carrier. Given the success of SMS, the service providers were probably on the right track.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    OK .. thanks ... but ... why is the SMS limited to such short text? I hear people always talking about these long text messages they send each other from regular flip phones ... are they using SMS, or something else that allows for more length? I gather if I need to send longer text, I should just use MMS, and it's included in my normal text messaging allotment with Verizon ? tnx.
    You could just email it to their cell phones...then you wouldn't incur the SMS charge either.
    Quote Originally Posted by sibr View Post
    OK .. thanks ... but ... why is the SMS limited to such short text? I hear people always talking about these long text messages they send each other from regular flip phones
    Because it is an "afterthought" SMS has some fundamental restrictions, one being text messages are limited to 160 characters.

Many phones have software to break-up and deliver longer messages (> 160 characters). These phone may also have software to re-assemble longer received messages. This feature is a "phone" feature, rather than a "carrier" or "technology" feature. In phones that do not have this, you will receive a message for each split segment.