1.    #1  
    Fully charged Treo won't turn on when the power button is pressed. I have to either reset it or pop the battery out to get it to start. Periodically, during the day, I have to press the power button several times to get the screen to come on. Took it into the Sprint Store and got a refurb but it's having the same problem! Now, after I charge it up over night, take it off the charger, the red charge light remains on and I can't turn the device on. I have to remove the battery to force a soft reset.

I have another Treo that has the power on once in a while but not enough to cause concern. But this one is my wife's and I don't want her driving around with a phone that won't turn on when she needs it.

Anyone else seeing the same problem and/or have a solution?

I've seen other threads that folks were able to get a swap from Sprint for a 700p which I'm hoping for this time around.

Thx, DP
    Are you having this problem with no third party apps installed? Have you tried a hard reset? Are you sure you didn't take the original device home with you by accident, from the Sprint store? I know, I know...probably not, but it's really weird that you'd have the exact same problem with two different devices.

If you don't have any apps installed and it's doing this right out of the box, I would take it back to the Sprint store and tell them the "new" unit is defective, too.
    Yeah, something is not kosher with the replacement. People post here about bad sprint store c/s maybe they didn't actually exchange the phone.
    Maybe put a dot inside the battery cover, to tell if they actually give you a different unit or not.
  4.    #4  
    Definitely got a different unit from the store. Between my wife and I, this is probably our 7th Treo starting with 600. While I love the Palm OS and the phone when it works, it is plagued with problems which will probably force me to move to something else as soon as my term is up. :-(
    I hear ya but don't give up!!!
    Maybe you can parlay an upgrade out of this. I had a Sprint Treo 600 for 10 months when the earpiece died. Got it replaced under warranty, then ended up having four replacements break for one reason or another. The last time I brought one in I talked to the store manager and asked if I could get a 650 instead (they had just come out). She agreed, if I would renew my contract for a year. You could try to see if they'll replace this 650 with a 700p, especially since the 755p should be out anytime now.
    I just took my 650 in today and spoke with a rep. He said that on the list there were no more 650s available, and so they would have to upgrade me to the 700p. He told me I came in at the perfect time to get a free upgrade. So now I will be getting my 700p on Thursday. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    I just took my 650 in today and spoke with a rep. He said that on the list there were no more 650s available, and so they would have to upgrade me to the 700p. He told me I came in at the perfect time to get a free upgrade. So now I will be getting my 700p on Thursday. :-)
    That figures. I had my 650 replaced a week and a half ago... with another 650.
    On my seventh or eighth 650 now. The one before would *not* power on at random intervals. The one I have now (after having the one before it for less than 24 hours) only turns on after 2-4 presses of the power button. Annoying, but I think of it as a safety feature against accidental turn-ons.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    Definitely got a different unit from the store. Between my wife and I, this is probably our 7th Treo starting with 600. While I love the Palm OS and the phone when it works, it is plagued with problems which will probably force me to move to something else as soon as my term is up. :-(

Quick update. Had my wife take her defective, replacement 650 in to the Sprint Store. They tried to convince her there was nothing wrong with the phone and that the problem was the extra software they saw loaded which they claimes was 3rd party. Actually, they were OS updates from Palm/Sprint themselves. My wife had to get me on the phone and I had them hard reset the Treo, then duplicate the problem by simply plugging the unit in for a few seconds.

They had no refurbished 650s left in the warehouse. Reluctantly, ended up giving her a new 700P which is behaving better. Only downside is that because 700P is an EVDO phone, I had to give up my all-you-can-eat $15 data/text plan but the bump up was only $5 extra. 700P so far seems to be working much better. At least it powers up.

So all is well... Good luck to rest of you guys.
    I am having the exact same issue. I received a replacement refurb 650 on Friday 6/1/07 because my 650 had dust under the screen (3rd time). After I leave it off for a while it won't turn back on and I have to pull the battery cover off and reset. I have been doing that 20-30 times a day since Friday. I did a hard reset multiple times and the issue still exists with no 3rd party SW. I have gone to the Sprint store twice, called Customer support twice and the only thing they can do is order a replacement, which takes 3-5 business days (except the one I got on Friday actually took longer to get). I am on vacation next week and need a functional phone, which I don't have right now and the replacement may not come in until after I leave. No one wants to help me. I told customer support I want to keep giving them my money each month because I like the plan/device/data/etc., but I could get a functional phone within an hour by going across the street to Cingular. They didn't care. I'm off contract and have owned a 650 on sprint for 2.5 years now.

I'm concerned the next phone will have the same issue. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by freeman.joshua View Post
    I am having the exact same issue. I received a replacement refurb 650 on Friday 6/1/07 because my 650 had dust under the screen (3rd time). After I leave it off for a while it won't turn back on and I have to pull the battery cover off and reset. I have been doing that 20-30 times a day since Friday. I did a hard reset multiple times and the issue still exists with no 3rd party SW. I have gone to the Sprint store twice, called Customer support twice and the only thing they can do is order a replacement, which takes 3-5 business days (except the one I got on Friday actually took longer to get). I am on vacation next week and need a functional phone, which I don't have right now and the replacement may not come in until after I leave. No one wants to help me. I told customer support I want to keep giving them my money each month because I like the plan/device/data/etc., but I could get a functional phone within an hour by going across the street to Cingular. They didn't care. I'm off contract and have owned a 650 on sprint for 2.5 years now.

I'm concerned the next phone will have the same issue. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks
    First, I'd try a different Sprint store.

Second, if the phone is not functional, you should insist on leaving the store with a working phone until the replacement unit is ready. Downside is that they may offer you a non-Treo phone. I was very insistent that they provide my wife with a replacement phone. On their website, they advertise that the stores stock Treo 650 replacements. Fight to have them give you a 700P!!!!
    Can you send a link to the website that says they stock 650 replacements at the store? Thanks
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by freeman.joshua View Post
    Can you send a link to the website that says they stock 650 replacements at the store? Thanks
    http://dd.maps.com/Sprint/while-you-wait.pdf

do a search on sprint site for a local repair center near you. in the search result , look for a repair center with a link labeled "Click here to see phones eligible for 'While you wait' service. ". Not all of them have them but if you find one, it would certainly help you make a case.

Good luck
    Well, I called Customer Service again and finally got ahold of someone who actually wanted to help me. They gave me a credit to cover the insurance deductible and they are sending me a 700p because insurance doesn't replace 650s anymore. So I am getting the new one sent next day to me! Somehow Monday and Tuesday everyone I spoke to at Sprint offered no help. Today I spoke to Customer Service, Insurance and Customer Service again (to add Power Vision) and everyone was very helpful and really convinced me to keep Sprint. Thanks for your help. I will remember to use the 'while you wait' info if I run into more problems, maybe they will switch to the 700p in the future.
  16.    #16  
    One thing I learned with Sprint is to keep calling and be persistent. Good luck with the 700P. Sprint/Palm just released a big patch for the 700P so be sure to update the phone.

Good luck