Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    You're not going to believe this one!
    I live in Ann Arbor, MI (about 30 miles west of Detroit) - an area of good Sprint coverage - and both my wife and I have had Sprint 700p's for the past five-six months. They have been quite reliable and routinely run 200 - 300 K data speeds (I use dslreports to measure connection speed). About a month ago, I started getting very slow speeds (<50) and many timeouts. This would alternate every 10 min or so with 200 - 300,as I have always gotten. My wife's device was affected the same way, and neither of us had made any recent software changes/additions to our phones; also this occurred no matter what server I tried to access, and the voice function has not been affected. I concluded this must be a network, not device, problem. I called Sprint Customer service and got the runaround for about a week, but eventually they claim they checked this out and could find no problem in my area.
    My office is about 2 miles north of my house; since I rarely used my Treo for data connection while at my PC at work, it was a while before I noticed that I had NO connection speed problems while there. I then it checked it out on my two-mile drive home, and found that as I drove south, the signal dropped out within a couple of blocks of my house. I then drove around my neighborhood and roughed out a map of the "dead zone". I haven't completed this yet, but it is clear that there is a small area in my neighborhood where something is interfering with the EVDO signal, and this started just about a month ago. I live in a residential area, and though there is an industrial park nearby, it is north of me, and not in the dead zone. I don't yet know where the center of this zone is - it's hard to believe it would be my house.
    I called Sprint back with this information, and they agreed to send out another technician - they called me back in a couple of days to say they had confirmed that there were no network issues in my area, and my ticket was closed.
    Grrr! What now? Has anyone had similar problems? Can someone with a better engineering backgound than me explain what might be jamming the EVDO signal in a such a small area, and how I can find it? Any suggestions on how to convince Sprint this is real?
    thanks,
    amell
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Keep calling and talk to the retentions department.
    It does sound like the cell site covering the area may be having some trouble. It is not uncommon for this to happen. In the small town where I live, there are 3 towers with in a 3-mile radius from which Sprint transmits. They are lined up in approx. an I-formation. When they added the 3rd site (in the middle of the two original towers, as shown on the sprint street-level maps), I would be listening to internet radio on my treo while riding my bike around town and there were areas where the handoff was occuring, but the EVDO connection wasn't. This would result in the handheld having to reconnect to Power Vision after a 30-second time out.

I reported the trouble to the tech who answers when you dial *2 and say "Cancel" when you call in. After a couple days, they acknowledged the problem. Never called me back to let me know if it is fixed (been about 3 or 4 months now). Whether it is fixed or not I'm not sure as I haven't been on a ride in awhile.

They can have localized problems, but if it is not affecting voice, they are slower to respond.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'll get something similar to this without even moving. In downtown Chicago, an area covered with EVDO, I will be stationary yet my S700p will drop EVDO in favor of 1xrtt randomly especially if I am streaming audio. Its very annoying when I have to restart a stream every 10-15 minutes or so.
    What happens when you lose the EVDO signal? it goes to 1X? maybe its the cell phone tower making interference to itself to curb/limit use
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    It does sound like the cell site covering the area may be having some trouble. It is not uncommon for this to happen. In the small town where I live, there are 3 towers with in a 3-mile radius from which Sprint transmits. They are lined up in approx. an I-formation. When they added the 3rd site (in the middle of the two original towers, as shown on the sprint street-level maps), I would be listening to internet radio on my treo while riding my bike around town and there were areas where the handoff was occuring, but the EVDO connection wasn't. This would result in the handheld having to reconnect to Power Vision after a 30-second time out.

I reported the trouble to the tech who answers when you dial *2 and say "Cancel" when you call in. After a couple days, they acknowledged the problem. Never called me back to let me know if it is fixed (been about 3 or 4 months now). Whether it is fixed or not I'm not sure as I haven't been on a ride in awhile.

They can have localized problems, but if it is not affecting voice, they are slower to respond.
    Where can I get the Sprint street-level maps with cell towers that you mention?
    Quote Originally Posted by amell View Post
    Where can I get the Sprint street-level maps with cell towers that you mention?
    http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...dCoverage.html
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-