edw1nk,

Some better pictures would help us all appreciate your handiwork better.

Did you have to disassemble the Treo to paint the case? It's a neat job though...

- mvk
    Some instructions would be nice, too. I would love to do my 650 pink...
    I hope you're better at painting plastic than I.. I never get it right, ever. I've painted 3 of my computer cases (projects when I was unemployed, okay!?) and they look great everywhere except the front. The front is definitely more dull and has a couple runs between the 3 cases.

However, they do seem to hold up well.. I've considered getting one more of these cases and doing another project, but I'm really trying to reduce boxes. But it'd be nice to have a nice metallic black, blue, and add a red one.
  4.    #5  
    well, i took the whole phone apart, sanded down all the original paint, and then used doupli-color vinyl spray. after 3 coats i was done. i also put in a keypad from a 750
    Pretty good job, dude. Your pics don't really show detail though...

I have wondered many times how difficult it would be to paint my phone with a Crimson shade of the soft-touch paint that is on the 750. That would be the ultimate IMO...

Can it be done?
    Crimson Treo 680 (given up for adoption)
    BlackBerry 9000 Bold - Main
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    Quote Originally Posted by edw1nk View Post
    ...i also put in a keypad from a 750
    edw1nk, this question was waiting to be asked - "Why? Any particular reason?"
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    edw1nk, this question was waiting to be asked - "Why? Any particular reason?"
    I think because it better matches his black/white theme...
    Palm Centro - Secondary
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    I think because it better matches his black/white theme...
    exactly! i just think it flows better with the 750 keyboard. im gonna try to get some better pics up tonight.
  9.    #10  
    ok guys...my first post has been updated with new pics. i still need to paint the bottom of the treo.

Supplies:
    t6 screw driver
    small flathead screwdriver (like the ones used for glasses)
    800 and 1000 grit sandpaper
    dupli-color vinyl dye

Directions.
    1. remove housing http://youtube.com/watch?v=hlYfI4_P_n4
    2. remove the chrome bezel with a small flat head screwdriver. (be careful, it breaks easily.
    3. make sure you remove any parts attached to the faceplate, like the earpiece.
    4. sand down (wet sand) original paint with 800 grit sandpaper, followed by 1000 if you want a smoother surface.
    5. start spraying one coat at a time, 10-15 min between coats. (i sprayed about 3 coats, making sure there was no more grey)
    6. let it dry for about 3-4 hrs and put everything back together.

i didnt apply a clear coat. im pretty confident that the paint will hold, but ill let you guys know if anything should happen. another good thing about the vinyl dye is that it doesnt add a thickness to the housing.
    Last edited by edw1nk; 05/08/2007 at 01:51 AM.
    Well, you had me right there, dying to try this out until "be careful it breaks easily" and the sanding part. Your looks great!!
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Well, you had me right there, dying to try this out until "be careful it breaks easily" and the sanding part. Your looks great!!
    send me a spare housing and im sure i we work something out
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I'm with you, Christina - I'd break something for sure...
    It's very well done, but the edges (parting-lines) are rounded. Is it that way on the 680? Or are the pictures deceptive?

Is the original paint similar to the one that you used? It seems quiet robust.

I think you should edit the "Reason: better pics replaced with the old ones"
    Last edited by GreenHex; 05/08/2007 at 12:39 PM.
  14.    #15  
    yes, unfortunately thats the way it ended up. after trial and error with krylon fusion, my phone was pretty much sanded down 3 times total
    Where could one get a spare 680 housing if one wanted to find one?
    Palm Centro - Secondary
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Where could one get a spare 680 housing if one wanted to find one?
    ive seen a few on ebay for about $40+. i doubt they are real, but you never know. if you want to take a risk, buy a dummy phone. the 750 dummy phone i bought on ebay had all usable parts except the middle where the board is supposed to be.
    He's correct about the chrome plastic, when I took apart my 650 to mod it so that I could install a lanyard (still yet to do it on my 700) that was the bit** of the bunch.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.