1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    I have just bought the Palmone TReo650 and I saw the info of the version of rom on it too old:
    Firmware: 01.28
    Software:1.13-APR

I'd like to upgrade from my treo 650 from 1.13-APR to 1.20_ENA but I don't know if it can be done. I need your help.

1. Can I upgrade the version software 1.20-ENA directly from www.Palm.com or I have to do some procedures firstly.

2. I see Palmone Treo650 is unlocked GSM and the old version software is 1.13-ROW. My Treo is from Palmone but the version software is 1.13-APR so I have a question: Is mine a lock treo or an unlocked GSM?

Please help me. I need your supports here.

Thanks all.

p/s: I am sorry for my poor English.
    First of all, determine if your T650 is unlocked. If you bought it from a carrier, chances are, it's locked. If you bought it outside of the US, chances are, it's unlocked. Try other sim cards, and if it works, then it's unlocked. Otherwise, it's locked (of course). On to upgrading the software. IF your unit is an unlocked GSM, go ahead and download the update from palm's site. It says there that it will update your software from 1.13 ROW to 1.20 ENA. Since your unit is APR (asia-pacific region), it doesn't matter, it will still upgrade it. After upgrading, if you want to change from APR to ENA, it gets complicated. You'll have to download the software to do a custom ROM, manually configure the ROM, then do the SD update method. It took me 1 day of reading the threads and researching to be able to do it on my own, and looking back, I'm not sure if I can do it all again. Be careful though, you might "brick" your 650 if you don't do it right.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio View Post
    First of all, determine if your T650 is unlocked. If you bought it from a carrier, chances are, it's locked. If you bought it outside of the US, chances are, it's unlocked. Try other sim cards, and if it works, then it's unlocked. Otherwise, it's locked (of course). On to upgrading the software. IF your unit is an unlocked GSM, go ahead and download the update from palm's site. It says there that it will update your software from 1.13 ROW to 1.20 ENA. Since your unit is APR (asia-pacific region), it doesn't matter, it will still upgrade it. After upgrading, if you want to change from APR to ENA, it gets complicated. You'll have to download the software to do a custom ROM, manually configure the ROM, then do the SD update method. It took me 1 day of reading the threads and researching to be able to do it on my own, and looking back, I'm not sure if I can do it all again. Be careful though, you might "brick" your 650 if you don't do it right.
    Thanks for your reply.

I have found my treo is an unlocked GSM sold outside of American. I upgraded 1.20-ENA downloaded from www.palm.com but It has an error when backingup data. If I upgrade 1.20-APR on it, it's ok.

My treo's info is now:
    Firmware: 1.71
    Software: 1.20-APR
    Hardware: A
    CC-Cap: APR-APR-001
    Carrier DB: 255

manilenio, can you show me the link about changing 1.20-APR to 1.20-ENA. Thanks alot.
    Sonmeo, do a search about the SD method. Also, you need to download the ROMtool, and the ENA ROM (both are available here somewhere). Once you've downloaded the ROMtool and you have it working, you'll need to edit the tokens (change it from APR to ENA). Once you've edited it, you need to do the SD update method to upload the ENA ROM onto your 650. Again, read up on the process because the SD update method is DANGEROUS, and liable to brick your treo. THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS. Good luck!
  5.    #5  
    Hi manilenno,
    Can I only change characters APR to ENA when editing the Tokens and save it or Do I have to change hex value between two version?

Thanks.
    Once you've downloaded the ROMtool and you have it working, you'll need to edit the tokens (change it from APR to ENA). Once you've edited it, you need to do the SD update method to upload the ENA ROM onto your 650.