1.    #1  
    Anyone know of an alternate zero-out reset method?

I need to send my phone in for repair, as the keypad is not working. Also, I no longer have my original hotsync cable; I bought an aftermarket "retractable" sync/charge cable, and it does not have a hotsync button on it.
    This makes for multiple problems in a zero-out...ie, no access to hotsync button on cable, at this time my power button works ONLY to wake the device, and the up button works not at all.

I do not wish to send the phone in as is, since there are some "sensitive client info things" on the phone.

Anyone have a suggestion? If I could get my hands on an original cable, I'd try the zero-out, but I'm not sure it would work anyway, since the d-buttons are not working.

Also, time is of the essence; I am leaving for Hawaii for a field class next Wednesday; my cell phone company assures me they can have a replacement by then, but I still need to zero this one out before I send it in.
  2. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Use Filez and delete all your sensitive databases?
    The info is still trivially recoverable after deletion with filez/a regular hard reset. That's why the zero-out reset exists, it's not just there for the hell of it. A zero-out reset actually deletes everything from the device by overwriting it, whereas other resets leave it all there.
  4.    #5  
    Yup, what StarmanDX said. Hard reset=not good enough.

Update: I got ahold of a hotsync cable, and I *cannot* perform a zero-out reset. I only get the "rainbow bars" bootload screen.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'd feel *so* much better if I could get that zero-out.
  5.    #6  
    And another update:

My husband, who is ever-so-sensible, found a key that was "stuck" down, and we sort of jimmied it up, and wonder of wonders, we were able to get the zero-out done; however, the key stays "depressed" unless we pull it up, so in for repair it goes!