Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks.

So can you confirm that it is possible to install the Goodlink 4.9.3.21_EN via Good OTA and that it will run? You mention there were some bugs... are you able to describe any?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    sorry for my ignorance- but can good run on WM6 at this point or not?

and is an WM6 device and WM6 device is an WM6 device? Specifically will good for WM6 work on any wm6 device? I'm getting tired of the crappy old Palm OS and saw that new samsung i760 with WM6 at the verizon store yesterday (when I stopped in to get yet another treo exchange as my 700p had bricked itself for no reason...). I would like to play with a new phone but I love good and have no intention of getting a new phone that wont run it.

The good website just has one old as dirt samsung phone listed when i looked for a compatibility list so I'm not sure where to look.
    I think, officially, WM6 is only supported on GMM 5.0 (though some people have hacked it to work with 4.9.x).

The reason each device has to be validated, is because the underlying ROM and carrier mods are different and seem to affect GMM.

devices that have WM6 that is supported is the Moto q9 and Q global, sprint htc mogul Can't think of any other one... i have tested this on a att tilt and it seems to work ok. for additional devices, support is to arrive with MR 1 (december.)
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    thanks-

so if I get a wm6 device and get 5.0 then it should at least basically work but wont be officially supported?

I've get a hosted provider- they dont even ask what device- basically they send me a pin no questions asked and I go to get.good.com to download the software. Will get.good.com allow download to an unoffical WM6 device?

thanks- I'm really pretty clueless.
    It may or may not... I remember reading somewhere, where an error pops up that says "device not supported"

if you want, list the devices and i'll look them up. (since you don't have access to the portal)

but for WM6, in North america at least, i think the only devices on WM6 are

ATT Mot Q Global
    VZW Mot Q9
    Sprint Mogul
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    the one I was really looking at is the samsung i760 on verizon.

maybe the verizon version of the mogul (vx6800 I think it's called)- but it's not released I think so i guess it wouldnt be on the approved list? In that same vane the HTC Libra- called SMT5800 when it shows up on verizon.

BTW- thanks for your time- i have noticed some time ago you are always kind with your help for the clueless like myself. It's very much appreciated.
    Hey, no problem! always glad to help.

Right now, none of those devices are supported. I am thinking the i760 will be supported in the MR1 of december. It is possible that it may still work... but its kind of hard to tell. None of my users have it yet, so we haven't had a need to test it. In my testing the ATT Tilt seemed to work fine.. though its not on the official support page.

The VX6800 and the SMT5800 (hopefully) will be supported on launch date. I know that it was supposed to be better with 5.0 (launching support with the launch of the device), but as it is apparent, its not quite so.

THe only exception i've seen is the launch of the ATT Motorola Q. That device was almost instantly supported right out of the gate. Perhaps the Motorola Q9 from VZW made support alot easier.

Hope this helps. For people in the know (like us), this is a terrible time to choose. Knowing the devices that are coming out (and it seems like VZW takes forever..)
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the info- definitely helps me plan a bit more.

I'm in half a spot. Taxes and all- and we're a small company - so it would be best to buy the 3 pda's we need before Jan 1.

1) Seems most of the hosted good folks are on 5.0 but my provider is still on 4.x so I can't really get a WM6 device for another month-ish anyhow. They say they are doing a major upgrade to exchange and good and yesterday they said that it will be ready in December. (sounded like they are going to do exchange 2007, good 5.0, and add some more automated things to the user control panel- right now I can basically enable, disable, request a pin and everything else is a support ticket- which annoys me and them both- LOL) If their date slips I probably will switch hosting company's- we've used these folks for years for our web and pop email and they got exchange+good right around when we were ready to make the jump to them so we just stuck with them. The service was always good. But now that I've learned more it's become obvious they are just an exchange+good reseller so the exchange+good service from them is not the best. So if they don't get things square by year end we might just move anyway to one of the giant providers good links to on their website. Seems those big ones have automated control panels and stuff so I can fiddle with some settings all on my own.

2) But sounds like even if my provider gets to 5.0 I probably should wait till the 5.x MR anyway. So hopefully they get their butts square

3) The i760 is out and looks like a winner, I played with it a bit at the VZ store and it was very nice (it's going to take me months to unlearn my 7 years of Palm OS and figure our WM- yikes!) but those other 2 HTC toys look cool and should be out soon too. So i'll need to go play with those also.

So I am seriously in HURRY UP but WAIT mode. Figure out a phone, figure out a hosting provider, and then hope Good gets support for whatever new toy I want before the end of the year.

All this kind of prompted because I just cant talk the Palm OS anymore. The inability to really multitask is just a major pain in the rump. Especially when the 700p's keep going bad- when you reinstall good on the new phone it drives me batty for the rest of the day while the treo is fetching all the good stuff "in the background" cough cough. it's silly but it's pushed me over the top. I'd almost just go to the WM treo's but Palm just left a bad taste in my mouth with the pathetic 700p support and so I'm gonna go look around at other people's toys now.
    i just got the i760 and tried to install good on it. it installs but when it tries to load the software and connect to all the services (calendar, tasks, email, etc) it hangs. tried multiple times to no avail. Verizon says december 07 the device will be supported. in the mean time i'm stuck on my i730. the i760 is very nice and GREAT compared to the i730. i will try and remember to update the forum once i get it working, if anyone has ideas on a hack that might allow good to run on the phone based upon the problem outlined above please let me know. tom
    I just got a Sprint Mogul with WM6 on it and tried to install Goodlink 5.0 on it.

I am able to key in the PIN and the Goodlink 5.0 software starts to install but after leaving it for two hours it hangs and never completes the install.

Has anyone successfully installed Goodlink on this phone? If so, can you let me know what you did to get it to install.

Thanks!
    Hi BikerDude,

Let's be clear... the 6700 and Mogul are two different devices.

The 6700 support ended with 4.9.3.34

The Mogul is supported starting with 5.0 with rom 2.09.651.3.

From your symptoms, it sounds like two things are happening

1) your device is 6700 and trying to install 5.0 will hang the device
    2) your device is Mogul and your GoodAdmin hasn't OK'ed 5.0 and is actually installing 4.9.x and is hanging.

Just my hunches...
    I just got a Sprint Mogul with WM6 on it and tried to install Goodlink 5.0 on it.

I am able to key in the PIN and the Goodlink 5.0 software starts to install but after leaving it for two hours it hangs and never completes the install.

Has anyone successfully installed Goodlink on this phone? If so, can you let me know what you did to get it to install.

Thanks!

I got 4.9 to install but it takes extra steps on the Mogul you have to go to phone settings then services click on roaming then get settings
    switch to roaming only then you should be able to complete install.

Every time you soft reset you have to start goodlink on roaming only then you can switch back to automatic.

I have no idea why the extra steps saw it on another forum and tried it out.

Good Luck

Hopefully my admin will push out 5.0 soon?
    CaptDude,

Your symptoms are largely because your device isn't supported on 4.9.x
    5.0 should make it way more smooth.

If you have access to your Admin, ask that you be put in a group with 5.0 out of the box and an existing group on 4.9 being upgraded to 5.0
    Thanks for the advice I have emailed City Wide messaging, I'll keep you posted on any success or failures.
    They responded already with the following message which we are going to try to migrate to tomorrow morning.

Good Technology just recently released version 5.0, and that version has several major bugs which were supposed to be fixed in a 5.0.75 release that was officially released last night. We will most likely wait another two to three weeks before upgrading our production servers to 5.0.75. However, we can put your device on your test server which has the latest 5.0.75 build.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDude View Post
    They responded already with the following message which we are going to try to migrate to tomorrow morning.

Good Technology just recently released version 5.0, and that version has several major bugs which were supposed to be fixed in a 5.0.75 release that was officially released last night. We will most likely wait another two to three weeks before upgrading our production servers to 5.0.75. However, we can put your device on your test server which has the latest 5.0.75 build.
    Have you not been reading the past threads? GMM does not have any "Major Bugs". They are all feature requests.

Seriously though, you are not alone. Many of us are on 4.9 versions waiting for a stable 5.x version. It looks like the first shot will actually be December.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    I have completed the update is shows the version as 5.0.0.67. It seems to be running smooth. Thanks for the advice.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    any word on MR1 timeframe to support more WM6 devices?

My hosted provider is still on 4.x with no plans to even beta 5.x (i voluntered to beta test for them). So basically I think I'm going to go find a new provider when MR1 comes out and then find someone else with that running and then get myself a new WM6 device.
    bump

Any updates to this?
    Target date for MR1 is first week in Jan.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast