1.    #1  
    I've sold my Treo 650, and have been looking online on how to reset the device back to original, factory condition.

Upon looking through the Palm website, I've found two methods that claim to do the same thing.

The first method is called "Factory Reset"
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...al2001#treo650
    This method just involves pushing down the "Power" button and taking the battery out and putting it back in. Palm claims that this method restores the device back to original condition for selling.

The second method is called "Zero Out Data Reset"
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...j(887)#zeroout
    This is the method that involves pressing the "Power", "Thumbpad Up", "Hotsync" and "Reset" buttons. It claims to zero out all data and restore it to factory condition.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

Thanks!
    Matt
    The factory reset erases your data.

the zero out overwrites your data whith 0's and 1's.
    Just as on a PC -- "erasing" data just removes the linkage between the data and the file system of the OS . . . . the "data" is still there in memory . . . just not accessible by normal means . . . . .but someone with the know-how and tools could still access and read the data. . .

Overwriting memory "erases" the data by overwriting it and changing it to the 0s an 1s -- thereby truly erasing it.

Given the option -- the overwriting method is the most secure. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Just as on a PC -- "erasing" data just removes the linkage between the data and the file system of the OS . . . . the "data" is still there in memory . . . just not accessible by normal means . . . . .but someone with the know-how and tools could still access and read the data. . .

Overwriting memory "erases" the data by overwriting it and changing it to the 0s an 1s -- thereby truly erasing it.

Given the option -- the overwriting method is the most secure. . . .
    I thought I said that
    Perry just prettied it up for ya...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    Perry just prettied it up for ya...
    that's his specialty