1. WDW
    I cannot find a menu item that allows me to empty the Deleted Items folder in GMM. For example in Pocket Outlook you can go to Menu>Tools>Empty Deleted Items. In GMM I have to open the Deleted Items folder, select all the items manually (where is the Select All feature) and re-delete them again. Surely there is a better way and I am missing something here.
    You can delete them within Outlook, but there is no option within GMM to empty the deleted items folder.
  3. WDW
    Is that something Good is looking into? If the purpose is to be able to synch desktop and handheld, then shouldn't we be able to manage our mailboxes when mobile? Even when I delete them manually on GMM they don't seem to delete in Outlook. Is that by design?
    i'll second that- last time I was on vacation, I had to call in and have my office mgr clear my deleted email because I was hitting our IT dept storage limits. What a basic, basic function that Good is missing!!
    Yes, I agree with this too. We have a 200MB limit in our organization and we routinely are getting emails that are over 100MB in size. We can move them to folders in our document management system but a copy remains in the Deleted Items folder, so it is an extra step.

Also, when you go over an Outlook storage limit, you get a message to the effect that synchronization has stopped and won't resume until you are under your limit. So a mobile user cannot do anything at that point from the handheld to get going again. Something that would allow you to at least delete messages after that point would be a big help.
    Yes this is a major pain. You are essentially locked out until you get to a computer with access to your outlook.

I have found that I can highlight (hold shift and move down) all my deleted items and then choose "delete" but this only works if you are still able to send and receive. If you are locked out then they will delete on your handheld but nothing happens on the server side and you still don't get emails.

This is a big oversight in my opinion. When you get the message that says you are over quota it should also send a message that says "would you like to empty your deleted items?" and if you select yes it should do it!
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  7. WDW
    Well at least I know I am not going crazy. Good, please remember that the second M in GMM stands for Mobile. But it does no good for me to be 'mobile' with a full mailbox that won't let me send or receive new messages and have no way to remedy it. Huge oversight in my opinion.
    You all caught me completely offguard with this one as this is the first time I have ever heard this. So I tested it just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. Deleting from the Deleted Items on the handheld absolutely does remove the items permanently from the Deleted folder in Outlook.

What version of GMM and Exchange are you running and what device and carrier are you on? The more info you can provide, the more I can give to my engineer to try and figure this one out.
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 05/07/2007 at 10:20 AM.
    There are two parts to this.

1. If you delete an email from the GMM 'Deleted Items' folder, it does indeed delete it from both places. Until then it counts against a limit, so some easy way to delete everything from the folder would be helpful. The shift-scroll-backspace method mentioned in this thread works on my MDA.

2. If you are over your outlook mailbox storage limit, you get a message that synchronizing has stopped, and won't start again until you are under your limit. But at that point, you cannot use method #1 to delete items from the 'Deleted Items' folder in your Outlook mailbox. So there is no way from the handheld to get going again. Thus the need for constant vigilance.

T-Mobile MDA, using GMM 4.9.3.
    Quote Originally Posted by elorimer View Post
    There are two parts to this.

1. If you delete an email from the GMM 'Deleted Items' folder, it does indeed delete it from both places. Until then it counts against a limit, so some easy way to delete everything from the folder would be helpful. The shift-scroll-backspace method mentioned in this thread works on my MDA.

2. If you are over your outlook mailbox storage limit, you get a message that synchronizing has stopped, and won't start again until you are under your limit. But at that point, you cannot use method #1 to delete items from the 'Deleted Items' folder in your Outlook mailbox. So there is no way from the handheld to get going again. Thus the need for constant vigilance.

T-Mobile MDA, using GMM 4.9.3.
    Good Guy

Exactly, Elorimer is on the money--number 2 above is the issue. As I stated in my post above there should be a way to empty deleted items once you are already "over quota" and the device no longer sends or receives--at a minimum you should be able to delete items.

I did confirm in my post above that when you delete items in the deleted items folder they did go away but only if you were/are not over quota. I am surprised this has never come up before.

A quick command to empty your deleted items--even if it asked "are you sure?" would be extremely helpful.

Thanks
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    The lack of synchronization when over limit is an Exchange issue, not a GMM issue. If email traffic stops because of limit issues, synchronized traffic stops since GMM is driven by Exchange. There is no way for Good to circumvent Exchange.
    That makes sense. Do you know if Exchange Server 2003 might have a separate setting that controls this behavior?

I know that you can configure a mailbox with a size limit that sends a warning that you are over xxxMB; you can configure it to stop sending at a certain limit (in my case, 200mb), and a limit that stops sending and receiving (in my case, 300mb). In my case, I also get the 'no more synching' message on the handheld at 200mb.

So, is that behavior triggered by the sending limit, or might there be another setting that says 'no more synching' at xxxMB?

I don't see anything in the ES2003 Admin Guide.
    Being that I am not an Exchange Admin, dunno. Anyone else?