1.    #1  
    I don't understand it!!! brand new treo 700P and It constantly freezes on me. I mean at least 10-15 times a day. most if not all third party apps are on my sd card. I've taken the card out an to no avail. If im tryin to send a text message or playing a game, the treo freezes up for several seconds then leaves me with a partial text word usually the last letter of the word or the first letter depending i guess when the freeze takes place. It does not buffer what i was typing so i have to go back and retype. Its frustrating can anyone tell me whats going on or do i need to turn this treo in for a new one, or scrap it for a 700wx or go with a smart phone without all the hick ups?????
    We are all in the same boat, we are waiting for Palm to send out a fix.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    By freezing if you mean slow to respond, then this is a behavior that has plagued most of us with the phone for the past year. If freezes relate to hang-up phone needing a reset, then I would say that many times a day may suggest a faulty unit.

BTW, which network...I'm with Sprint but I understand on Verizon there are significant problems with SMS related resets and freezes.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Not saying its a for sure fix but I find when I clear Blazer's cache periodically it keeps things snapier for me when it comes to the freeze.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Carlo, leave your system sound on. The phone will play a chime when you go in and out of network. Even if you aren't moving, the phone will periodically lose the network and search for it again. Treos will lag when it is searching for the network. This isn't the only reason for lags, but it is one reason.
    I also noticed that when mine lags (while not searching for a network) it usually crashes a minute or two later, so it must be due to some type of a corruption. Many suggest daily (or frequent) soft resets to reboot the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Not saying its a for sure fix but I find when I clear Blazer's cache periodically it keeps things snapier for me when it comes to the freeze.
    I have similar results, no objective proof it does but it seems less laggy.

Many suggest daily (or frequent) soft resets to reboot the Treo.
    I do this too, again seems to make my units a bit more tolerant, no concrete evidence though. I do it by removing the battery for about a minute or so (soft reset).

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    My system sound is on and a couple of times a day I get the dong sound of network in/out and that is generally when my problem occurs. Ben
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    ... I do it by removing the battery for about a minute or so (soft reset).
    I tried this and had a ton of problems afterwards, so, as they say in internet-land... you're mileage may vary.
    Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    I tried this and had a ton of problems afterwards, so, as they say in internet-land... you're mileage may vary.
    Good luck!
    Sorry again...but you are right, in the land of Treo it seems that one fix does not fit all.

Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    ... in the land of Treo it seems that one fix does not fit all...
    Maybe they should rename the Treo models.
    Instead of 700p and 700w...they should have
    • 700w (for Windows)
    • 700pCL (for Palm with Crashes and Lags)
    • 700pC (for Palm with Crashes)
    • 700pL (for Palm with Lags)
    • 700pBT (for Palm with Blue Tooth problems)
    • etc.

This way users would know which unit they have and would be able to address the shortcomings accordingly. If you call tech support, the recording could be "...if you have a 700pC press 1..."
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    Maybe they should rename the Treo models.
    Instead of 700p and 700w...they should have
    • 700w (for Windows)
    • 700pCL (for Palm with Crashes and Lags)
    • 700pC (for Palm with Crashes)
    • 700pL (for Palm with Lags)
    • 700pBT (for Palm with Blue Tooth problems)
    • etc.

This way users would know which unit they have and would be able to address the shortcomings accordingly. If you call tech support, the recording could be "...if you have a 700pC press 1..."

Quote Originally Posted by CarloD View Post
    I don't understand it!!! brand new treo 700P and It constantly freezes on me. I mean at least 10-15 times a day. most if not all third party apps are on my sd card. I've taken the card out an to no avail. If im tryin to send a text message or playing a game, the treo freezes up for several seconds then leaves me with a partial text word usually the last letter of the word or the first letter depending i guess when the freeze takes place. It does not buffer what i was typing so i have to go back and retype. Its frustrating can anyone tell me whats going on or do i need to turn this treo in for a new one, or scrap it for a 700wx or go with a smart phone without all the hick ups?????
    For the last year after purchasing my Treo 700p, I, too, was plagued with freezes each of which lasted 15-60 seconds occurring about every 5 minutes of usage. I tried everything, including a hard reset and adding my software one at a time. No improvement. By the way, I sync with a Mac running OSX 10.4.9.

Today, I finally found the problem and fixed it. It turns out that AddIt, distributed by Palm, Inc. is not compatible with Mac. There is not even an AddIt conduit on Palm Desktop for Mac. Therefore, using SuperUtility for Palm, I deleted all files beginning with "addit". A few of them are on ROM and could not be deleted. However, once this was done, one year's worth of utter frustration suddenly ended and for the last 2 days my Treo has run flawlessly without ANY freezes.

I suspect that AddIt may have been unsuccessfully trying every few minutes to wirelessly connect to an outside server, and every time it tried, it caused my Treo to freeze.

Definitely worth trying.
    Last edited by ggrayman; 05/06/2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: To add detail.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    What is addit and what does it do?
    AddIt is what Palm calls its "on-device software shopping service." Basically, it allows the Palm user to search for software right on the Palm, pay for it, and the software immediately downloads directly to the Palm.

Details can be found at: http://www.palm.com/us/software/palm/addit/
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayman View Post
    Therefore, using SuperUtility for Palm, I deleted all files beginning with "addit". A few of them are on ROM and could not be deleted. However, once this was done, one year's worth of utter frustration suddenly ended and for the last 2 days my Treo has run flawlessly without ANY freezes.

I suspect that AddIt may have been unsuccessfully trying every few minutes to wirelessly connect to an outside server, and every time it tried, it caused my Treo to freeze.

Definitely worth trying.
    And every one of those glorious files comes back after a reset...
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster View Post
    As does "WorsaMail"
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster View Post
    You're right. I now note that all the AddIt files DO come back after a reset, and I have no idea how or why this happens. So, unless anyone has a great idea on how to permanently delete them, the only way I can avoid the recurrent freezes caused by AddIt is to re-delete all the AddIt files after every reset.

Does anyone know a way around this?
    All of us have Addit files that we can't get rid of and all of us don't have your problem, so it's time to consider what else you have on the phone. What third party apps are you running? Many people have noted problems when running a lot of apps from the card. Do you have Fontsmoother? Hacks? Tell us what's on your phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    All of us have Addit files that we can't get rid of and all of us don't have your problem, so it's time to consider what else you have on the phone. What third party apps are you running? Many people have noted problems when running a lot of apps from the card. Do you have Fontsmoother? Hacks? Tell us what's on your phone?
    I have no hacks, no Fontsmoother, or anything like those. I rarely run apps from the card. Additionally, I have tried a couple of times to remove every software product and then add them in one by one, and the only product that seemed to cause problems was AddIt.

Further, I have finally figured out a fix that so far seems to be working without me having to delete every addit... file after every reset. That is, it appears that BlueFish wireless (which partners with Palm on the latter's AddIt incorporation into Palm OS) finally has a version which works with Treos that HotSync with a Mac. It can be downloaded at:

http://www.bluefishwireless.com/addi...downloads.html

Even though this web page implies that the download was meant for and can only be wirelessly updated via a Treo 600 or 650, it actually works just fine on my Treo 700p synced with my Mac running OSX 10.4.9. Please note, however, that once the AddIt package is downloaded and installed via its Nutshell installer, it is then necessary to wirelessly update it from the AddIt application on the Treo before all functions work. Once done, the "AddIt" icon is replaced by one called "My Treo" which automatically moves up to the highest left position under "All Applications" on the Treo, so that when "Applications" is launched, it is instantly highlighted and can be launched with one push of the center navigation button.

I must say that this "new for Mac" version of AddIt works smoothly and so far, flawlessly. I no longer have to delete every addIt... file after every reset and my year long freezing problem is GONE.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I have similar results, no objective proof it does but it seems less laggy.

I do this too, again seems to make my units a bit more tolerant, no concrete evidence though. I do it by removing the battery for about a minute or so (soft reset).
    Hey thanks the battery removal for a few seconds worked great for me. My Treo 700P was slow and getting stuck but that battery removal worked wonders! You've really Blessed Me!

We all need a little dirt (life's events) to grow!